Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Lifestyle 38 upgrade

Albertboulanger@icloud.com wrote:

NeonsNight me bad, that comment was for you, lol.  Again thanks for the info much appreciated.  i did hear Bose would give me a trade in credit for $1K, but still a big nut to bite off

Sys38 still works like a rockstar. had it for 12 yrs.

Again thanks!

Well, you can contact your local Bose dealer and see if they can do better than $1k off. The other options I mentioned might work for you, even using an HDMI splitter as I mentioned this post & only using optical and not caring about 2 HDMI outs would work for your current setup.

You have choices, and that's a good thing 🙂

Contributor
Registered since

Apr 19, 2020

HI 

I would say you have to separate Bose - as sound , and something else for video. I use my LS38/48 as only great  sound source. Try to avoid connection any video source to LS38/ Simply avoid video/ Use it just for sound and you will enjoy it ( only if connected and adjusted correctly)

Hope u will enjoy it !!

Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@igorvyatka wrote:

HI 

I would say you have to separate Bose - as sound , and something else for video. I use my LS38/48 as only great  sound source. Try to avoid connection any video source to LS38/ Simply avoid video/ Use it just for sound and you will enjoy it ( only if connected and adjusted correctly)

Hope u will enjoy it !!

Well, if you want to go that route, there are a few ways you can do it.

With a couple of the solutions below, I would probably purchase a harmony remote or something similar that can control the system and everything else connected (just wait for a sale as I did on Black Friday). Though you can use it with the included HDMI switch remote to change sources.

p.s. to others reading: if you have a Lifestyle CD system, a Cincemate/SoundTouch system, or a Lifestyle system with an AV20 or AV35 receiver please follow those links for instructions on how to connect them to a modern HDTV.

The 321 & Lifestyle DVD receivers include a single optical input. With the exception of the 321 series I systems, you need to assign the optical input in the settings (321 series II-III, AV28, AV18/AV38/AV48).

Video out issues:

1. If you are looking for a Composite, S-Video, or Component to HDMI converter. Please read this post.
  2. If you have a Lifestyle DVD system without a VS-2 and are experiencing video issues. Please read this post.
  3. If you have a Lifestyle DVD system with a VS-2 and are experiencing video issues. Please read this post.

The VS-2 (an add-on for the AV18/AV38/AV48) and the AV3-2-1III / AV3-2-1GSXIII receivers include HDMI for video only. They do not support HDMI audio or ARC.

Bose-Lifestyle-28-Media-Center_07 - Copy.jpg

AV28

935168db8204f8e25040 - Copy.jpg

 AV18 / AV38 / AV48

57c354148f95de435b8dda04 - Copy.jpg

AV3-2-1 / AV3-2-1GS

1269508036_IMG_156658 - Copy.jpg

VS-2

pc-321gs-mc-back-l - Copy.jpg

AV3-2-1II / AV3-2-1GSXII

b28c5d7e72dd4bbaa50fe47aa97d241b - Copy.jpg

AV3-2-1III / AV3-2-1GSXIII

While the Lifestyle V10/V20/V30 does include 2 HDMI inputs that support HDMI Audio & Video, it does not support uncompressed audioARC, or CEC.

59b8e63482ab0675a095c282 - Copy.jpg

MC1

All of the systems mentioned only support Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and PCM 2.0. So you will get the same audio quality using an Optical or a Digital Coax cable (and HDMI audio on the MC1). So change all audio setting on your 3rd party devices to Bitstream or Dolby or DTS and avoid PCM or LPCM sound options.

Bose 321-Lifestyle DVD-MC1 Audio format support.png

Option 1. Connect everything to the TV:

This is the simplest solution.

For simplicity, I would connect all your HDMI devices directly to the TV and use the TV's optical out to your receiver (I will ignore possible RCA/3.5mm headphone connection on your TV as they will only send stereo to your 5.1 surround sound system)

Remember, the 321 & Lifestyle DVD receivers include a single optical input. With the exception of the 321 series I systems, you need to assign the optical input in the settings (321 series II-III, AV28, AV18/AV38/AV48).

But know that a lot of TV's do not output 5.1 for sources connected to the TV only PCM 2.0 (be aware that sometimes internal TV sources like apps do output 5.1). It is almost impossible to know what your TV outputs as it is rarely mentioned in the manual. Luckily your receiver will tell you what signal it is processing so you can know if you are getting the best audio for your receiver or not (just know that YouTube still does not support 5.1 as every audio source there is still standard 2.0. Even the 5.1 audio test mixes, if you download them onto a computer and check the media info, they are still 2.0. Even the original series that they have to offer there are in stereo).

If your TV only has an HDMI ARC out, and you wish to listen to a device connected to your TV. Then you will need to use one of the following options. If you wish to listen to a source built into your TV, then you will need to use option 3.

Option 2. Send Video to the TV and Audio directly to your Lifestyle system:

Now, some home audio devices have both HDMI and other audio out options. If your TV does not output 5.1 but only 2.0 and all of your devices have either a Digital Coax/Optical audio out, you could connect your HDMI video to the TV and send the Digital Coax/Optical audio cable to your Lifestyle system.

This is a good example of why a universal remote like what I mentioned earlier would make using your system with this type of setup a lot easier.

cable_box_digital_rear.jpg

Lifestyle with an MC1 receiver: If you are using HDMI and you keep on getting "PCM 2.0" yet you know that it should be playing in "5.1". This is because you are trying to send a lossless audio source like LPCM 5.1 to the MC1. Sadly, as stated earlier, these systems cannot decode lossless audio.

You need to change the settings on your device so that it does not output PCM and outputs Bitstream. If you do not know how, or you checked with the manufacture and those options are not available on your device, please follow the steps shown here by Bose.

321 & Lifestyle DVD systems: Most devices today do not feature a Digital Coax output, but an Optical output. The 321 & Lifestyle DVD systems include a single Optical and multiple Digital Coax inputs. You could get a Digital Coax to Optical converter for each device you wanted to connect to your system.

517fymoQ9oL._AC_SX569_.jpg

The drawback to this solution is it could get costly, depending on your setup. 

So it might be easier to get an optical switch. I believe this setup would work best with a universal remote.

Remember, the 321 & Lifestyle DVD receivers include a single optical input. With the exception of the 321 series I systems, you need to assign the optical input in the settings (321 series II-III, AV28, AV18/AV38/AV48).

714ZmkAxRmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Option 3. Get an HDMI switch with audio outs:

I found a few HDMI switches with audio outs that support 4k @ 60hz. This HDMI 4x1 switch features 4 HDMI in's and has RCA, Optical, & Digital Coax outs, but there are many others. With this setup, I would highly recommend that you purchase a universal remote (as mentioned previously) to help with ease of use for yourself, your family, and anyone else who visits and uses your system.

To set this up:

• Connect your HDMI devices to the HDMI in's on the switch
    • If you need more than 4 ports there are other HDMI #x1 switches out there
  • The TV & Lifestyle
    • Connect Output to your TV's ARC HDMI port.
      • ARC is a special HDMI port that will send the TV's audio to your Lifestyle
    • Connect the audio out to the Optical or Digital Coax input of your receiver (labelled on the HDMI splitter below as Toslink or Coaxial).

81X3SwJsueL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Option 4. Possible Lifestyle Upgrade:

Some Lifestyle systems might be able to be upgraded.

1. Depending on your sub, you might be able to upgrade the receiver.
  2. You might be eligible for a trade-in by talking to your local Bose dealer.

I talk about it on this post.

Hope that helps 🙂

Leader
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

I went over the character limit on the previous post, but I wanted to save my work:

Bose-Lifestyle-28-Media-Center_07 - Copy.jpg

AV28

18, 28, 35

935168db8204f8e25040 - Copy.jpg

AV18

AV38

AV48

18II, 28II, 35II

18III, 28III, 35III

38III

48III

35IV

38IV

48IV

57c354148f95de435b8dda04 - Copy.jpg

AV3-2-1

AV3-2-1GS

321GS

1269508036_IMG_156658 - Copy.jpg

VS-2

AV18 + VS-2

AV38 + VS-2

AV48 + VS-2

pc-321gs-mc-back-l - Copy.jpg

AV3-2-1II

AV3-2-1GSXII

321II, 321GSII

321GSX

b28c5d7e72dd4bbaa50fe47aa97d241b - Copy.jpg

AV3-2-1III

AV3-2-1GSXIII

321III, 321GSIII

321GSXIII

While the Lifestyle V10/V20/V30 does include 2 HDMI inputs that support HDMI Audio & Video, it does not support uncompressed audioARC, or CEC.

59b8e63482ab0675a095c282 - Copy.jpg

MC1

V10, V20, V30

Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2020

Sorry for the late reply, Tenderah.  I bought a "Bose Bluetooth Audio" adapter several years ago, prior to the SoundTouch branding, I believe.  This was also before the SoundTouch App, perhaps.  2014 maybe or 2015?

Participant
Registered since

Jan 9, 2021

I want to thank you for the advice. It worked! 
Tim

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.