Lifestyle 650 HDR Problems

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

Lifestyle 650 HDR Problems

Recently purchased a Bose Lifestyle 650, and have not been able to get HDR content to passthrough successfully. The signal will appear okay for a few seconds, then blink and drop out when I try to watch an HDR source (HDR Sony Blu-ray or PS4 Pro).

I have troubleshooted everything, and confirmed that it is the Bose receiver causing this issue. When I use the same HDMI cables and connect the HDR components directly to the TV, there are no issues with the image. 

Is this system actually HDR (HDMI 2.0a) compatible? If so, my receiver may be defective.

Setup:

Lifestyle 650

PS4 Pro and Sony HDR Blu-ray player

LG OLED65c7p (Ultra Deep Color enabled)

28 REPLIES

Re: Lifestyle 650 HDR Problems

Hello JustinH,

Thank you for posting. The Lifestyle 650 absolutely does support 4K HDR and HDR10(HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2). What type of cables are you currently using on the Blu-ray and PS4 pro? Have you tried testing with other HDMI inputs on the Bose console to see if it is able to keep the video going?

Let me know the results.

Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Quiet Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I am using new, high-speed 2.0 HDMI cables. When I plug the HDR sources directly to the TV using the same cables, there are no problems. I have tried using all of the available inputs on the Bose receiver, and the problem persists. All devices have been updated to current software.

If the LS 650 really does support Ultra HD/HDR, then my receiver must be defective. I will be contacting Bose support about a replacement.

Hi JustinH,

Thank you for your reply. As a test, could you check your PS4 Pro's Video Resolution Settings? If this is currently set to "Automatic" please try switching it to a 2160p setting. Instructions can be found here. It seems that the PS4 can detect the display device's optimal resolution. This is likely working fine when you connect directly to the TV. However, when we pass through the Bose console, the automatic function may not be working properly since it now has both the Bose console and TV to check. I'd like to see if manually adjusting this to 4K (2160p) helps at all. If there are multiple 2160p settings available, try toggling through each one. If this step does help, you should check your Blu-Ray player to see if it has a similar setting. 

Let us know how this goes!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Audible Advocate

Hi there, I'm getting the same issue with a PS4 Pro, Bose Lifestyle 650, and an LG 77 OLED TV (OLED77G7P). Connecting directly from the PS4 to LG TV has no issues, however, when I connect it to the Bose system playing any HDR game results in the screen flickering a red/gray pixelated screen and then the video output shutting down, I can still hear the audio from the PS4 on the Bose system.

This definitely feels like a Bose issue with HDR and the Lifestyle 650 system, there are a number of users experiencing the same issue when using this setup on these forums. 

Can we get some priority support from the engineering team to look into this, also it's not an HDMI cable issue, the entire setup is I'm running is over 20K and the Bose system is the only culprit here. I've also tried every single setting changes, updated the software on all systems, tried different high-speed cables, the issue still exists.

It seems like the Lifestyle 650 doesn't support UltraHD HDR combination??

Thanks,

Sean

Quiet Contributor

I believe this is a hardware problem inherent in the receiver. It seems the outputted video signal is weak, which may be fine if you are watching SD/HD content, but presents a problem with 4K and 4K HDR content, especially if your HDMI cables are running more than a few feet. Shorter cable lengths (4-8 ft.) may not have issues. The HDMI cable running from Bose to my TV is 20 ft (necessary to hide cable behind wall), so I never had HDR content that would display for more than a few seconds. Bose’s solution of lowering the source resolution in the hopes that the signal will passthrough intact is ridiculous, especially considering this is a premium system. I should note that I tested multiple high and low end brands of long-length HDMI cables, to no avail.

Anyway, once I realized it was a signal strength issue, I searched for something that would boost the signal output from the Bose receiver, and I found something on Amazon that has been working very well, “J-Tech Digital HDMI 2.0 Signal Booster”-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HQQHOB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was the only signal booster I could find that handled HDR signals. It looks cheap, and resembles something you would find in a flea market, but it has solved all of my issues. It is sandwiched between a 3-ft HDMI cable running from the Bose, and the aforementioned 20-ft. cable going to my TV. Insane that I had to figure this out on my own. Bose needs to be including a signal booster in their retail packages for these systems for customers with more than a few feet of HDMI cables who plan on watching HDR content.

Hope this information is helpful to someone else. I was relieved when I found something for $25 bucks that salvaged a system setup running almost $8k.

Thanks,

Justin

Audible Advocate

Justin i saw your article and bought the j tech signal booster... Idk i might have received a faulty piece of the booster. It did not work even without connecting it to bose...
Ps4 pro & Nvidia shield both have no signal , i have tried 10 meter belkin high speed wire as well as amazon basic redmere active hdmi cabel, please help me i cannot use ps4 as well as nvidia shield which are the most used things at my theatre room. I get no signal all the time i have connected bose to projector benq ht2550 , i connect ps4 directly to projector it works great. When i connect it through bose it does not work at all.
Quiet Contributor

Does the res light on the signal booster turn on when the HDMI cables are connected to it? I would make sure the HDMI cable leaving the Bose and connected to the booster is as short as possible (I’m using a 3-ft cable). I would make sure all components are turned off when you connect the two HDMI cables to the booster, so it has a “clean slate” to start with.

I occasionally still have signal problems even with the booster, but can be fixed by changing inputs or turning the Bose off and back on.

Hope this helps, I know it’s extremely frustrating, and scary, considering how big of an expense the Bose is.
Audible Advocate

I have connected a laptop, google chromecast, ps4 pro, satellite box (tata sky 1080p india), nvidia shield. I never get signal. Yes the jtech shows red light. But the jtech i received is faulty and i got it imported from usa to india. I tried connecting ps4 pro to jtech repeater to projector but it didnt work so the signal booster is faulty i guess. I tried all sort of wierd stuff placed jtech near bose , then jtech near projector. Its way too much frustrating for a system worth 4000$
Audible Advocate

Justin i have solved the issue.. Bose has 4k passthrough.. Theres no issue with bose or projector for the signal.
You just need the right hdmi cable ...you need to have the following features in hdmi cable..
1) hdmi cable with Ethernet
2) You need to have 18 GBPS transfer data for 4k content..

I was using belkin cable but it was without ethernet and another i purchased was amazonbasics which was 10.2 gbps transfer rate.
Now after connecting 18 gbps cable i am not having any kind of signal issues.

This is the cable i bought (you dont necessarily need to buy this one you can buy cheap ones with the same features) there won’t be any kind of signal issues. Let me know if you have any doubts.
https://www.amazon.in/GadgetsAccessories-Premium-Nylon-Braided-Cable/dp/B06WV7CWNM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF...