rk_2000
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

Lifestyle 650 + Samsung Blu ray No Audio only Video

Hi,

I am getting only video through the LS 650 console and no audio when using the Samsung BD6500-ZA Blu ray player connected to a Samsung Q800T.

I have already tried completing troubleshooting steps with Bose tech support as well as Samsung tech support. The issue is not with the player, console, HDMI ports on either side or the HDMI cable. When I use optical for audio connection the audio works fine. Tried all the combinations for ARC (CEC) settings on the TV, LS as well as the Blu ray.

When connected directly to an HDMI port on the TV everything works fine. Also the other devices on the LS Console work fine (both audio and video through HDMI).

Just trying to see if anyone knows what could be causing this issue and what can I do to get this resolved.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rk_2000
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

Re: Lifestyle 650 + Samsung Blu ray No Audio only Video

Author Accepted Answer selected by rk_2000

Alright, so was able to tinker with the connections a bit and finally was able to resolve the issue. Connected the Samsung Blu ray player directly to the TV (non ARC HDMI port) and used the audio source on the bose as TV.

This solved the issue with audio coming through the Bose system and video through the TV. Basically bypassing connecting the Samsung player to the console helped solve it. Something tells me the audio was being sent to the ARC port even when playing video through a different source.

Just happy got it working! Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Keith_L

Hi rk_2000,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

I've been doing a bit of research into your Blu-Ray player, and I have found in the manual that it says when using an optical cable it will use either Dolby Digital or DTS as it's audio format, whereas with the HDMI cable it does use other formats. It's possible that the format your Blu-Ray player is using when connected via HDMI is not supported by the Lifestyle and this is why you don't get any sound.

I'd recommend changing what audio format the Blu-Ray player is using from the settings. From looking at the manual, you should find this option under Settings > Audio > Digital Output on the Blu-Ray player. The Lifestyle 650 supports the audio formats Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and Multichannel PCM, so make sure the Blu-Ray player is using one of these formats.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
rk_2000
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

hi Keith,

I had gone over those formats with Samsung and Bose techs. I also tried switching the audio formats from the DVD player but it didnt help. It is currently set at PCM and that is an acceptable format per Bose tech support.

Is there a way to get audio through optical and video through HDMI for the bose-blu ray connection?

Jessie_O

Hey Rk_2000, 

Thanks for giving that a go. I'm sorry this hasn't worked for you. 

I would recommend making sure you have the correct audio source selected. You will need to go to the Unify menu and head to 'Advanced TV Audio Setup' where you will be able to change between optical and HDMI. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
rk_2000
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

Hi Jessie,

With what you said I will need to connect an audio cable to the TV from the Bose console for it to work. What I meant to do was connect an HDMI from the Blu ray to Bose and also an optical cable from the Blu Ray to Bose but use HDMI for video and Optical for audio. Not sure if that is even doable. I tried adding the Blu ray as an optical connection but then it gives only sound and no picture.

Let me know if there is any option to get this working. At this point I dont think there is anything that can be done but just trying one last ditch effort to see if there is any way to get it working.

Thanks,

rk_2000
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by rk_2000

Alright, so was able to tinker with the connections a bit and finally was able to resolve the issue. Connected the Samsung Blu ray player directly to the TV (non ARC HDMI port) and used the audio source on the bose as TV.

This solved the issue with audio coming through the Bose system and video through the TV. Basically bypassing connecting the Samsung player to the console helped solve it. Something tells me the audio was being sent to the ARC port even when playing video through a different source.

Just happy got it working! Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post