Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albarker01
Participant
Registered since

May 26, 2021

Lifestyle 650 and Panasonic HZ1000B CEC Issues

Bose product name

Lifestyle 650

Country

UK

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on 
Panasonic TX55-HZ1000B 

Panasonic DVR DMR-PWT500EB

Apple TV 4K (2021)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I have just purchased a Panasonic TX55-HZ1000B 4K TV and am having issues with the CEC and other devices connected to the Lifestyle 650 via HDMI.  I have the following devices connected via HDMI to the HDMI ports on the 650:

HDMI 1 - Panasonic PWT-500EB DVR

HDMI 3 - Apple TV 4K (2021)

The 650 is connected to the TV via HDMI from the TV Out port on the 650 to the ARC/eARC port on the TV

With Lifestyle CEC setting 'ON', TV works fine and sound comes through Lifestyle speakers as 'Home Cinema' setting.  However, when I select either of the other 2 devices from the Lifestyle remote, the TV auto selects HDMI 2 and the device output momentarily displays the video from that device and then the screen goes blank!  After some investigation, I found that if I turn the CEC setting on the Lifestyle to OFF, I can view the output from either device (DVR or Apple TV) with stable audio and video.  However, if i want to view the TV again I have to reset the CEC setting on the Lifestyle to ON to hear the TV sound through the Lifestyle.  What a faff and not what I expected for a £3K+ AV system.  I must be doing something wrong, please could someone give me some advice. Oh, and I have replaced all the HDMI cable for 4k compatible ones and reset the system and HDMI devices numerous times.  Help please!!

7 REPLIES 7
Hector_B

Re: Lifestyle 650 and Panasonic HZ1000B CEC Issues

Hey albarker01, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your Lifestyle system, we would love to assist in resolving this for you. 

It's great to hear that you have already attempted to adjust the CEC feature, can you please confirm if you have also tried the alternate setting for this? Can you please also let us know if you have checked the CEC settings on the TV? If so what do you currently have them set to?

We also want to look at the HDR settings on your TV. The Lifestyle system supports HDR and HDR10 other formats might not work correctly. After taking a look at your TV's manual I can see that it's got HDR10+ and Dolby Vision as options, so those 2 could be screwing with things causing this issue we are having.

I look forward to hearing back from you with further information on this! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
albarker01
Participant
Registered since

May 26, 2021

Hector - Thank you for your response.  Following your advice, I am slowly getting there!  I realised that each of the HDMI inputs on the TV could be separately configurable!  So for non-ARC input through the 650 on HDMI 2 I turned off the HDR10+ and Dolby Vision options.  That partially solved my problems.  What i had to do next was to turn the TV Viera Link (Panasonic CEC) OFF and turn the HDMI to Mode 1 then bingo I got sound and picture.  However, if I wanted to go back to the TV, to get sound through 650, I needed to turn the Viera Link back to the ON setting (that seems to be a universal setting on the TV)!  All the time the 650 CEC setting was ON.  I did try it set as Alternate but that did not work.  

Any clues on how i can get normal sound and vision on all TV options (TV and HDMI 2 for 650 AV inputs) without having to play with the TV Viera/CEC settings please?

Hector_B

Thanks for updating us on this Albarker! It's great to hear that you are making progress. 

Let's use an optical cable from the TV to the console, this will send the audio and video information through separate cables! This will ensure that you don't need to change any conflicting settings.

When doing this please make sure that you assign the optical input on the console correctly through the UNIFY menu. This can be found by pressing Setup to open the menu, then scroll to and select Advanced TV Audio Setup, then follow the on-screen instructions to do this. 

Also, you may want to change the HDMI port that the console is plugged into on the TV to a non-ARC input to avoid the TV getting confused! 

Please do let us know how you get on with this! 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
albarker01
Participant
Registered since

May 26, 2021

Hector - Thank you very much for the further assistance.  I will try the solutions you suggest below today (Saturday) once I have a new optical cable - haven't got one long enough at present.  However, It is not the ideal solution for me as I would like as fewer cables going into and out of the TV (which is mounted on the wall) as possible.  Let's see how it works anyway.

Am a little disappointed to say the least that a premium standard Home Theatre system is giving me so many compatibility problems - I upgraded from a Lifestyle 48 Series 2 to the 650 to avoid having to use the VS-2 with 48 and use HDMI cables and the ARC capability for what they were intended!

albarker01
Participant
Registered since

May 26, 2021

Hector - Good morning!  I have tried the solution you suggested below but there was not change, I still had to set the VIERA Link setting on the TV HDMI channel to Off!  Unfortunately, it was back to square 1!

What I have settled with is knowing that I have to switch the VIERA Link Setting from ON when watching TV and setting it to OFF when watching other devices through the 650.  The HDR Dynamic HDR10+ Functionality remains in the OFF setting.  It is interesting to note that when I switch from TV to AV (HDMI2) before I set the VIERA Link to Off, I get about 5 secs of sound and video all good, then the TV screen goes blank until I turn the VIERA Link setting to OFF!  Not sure what that means.

I am at a loss why there doesn't seem to be the correct handshaking going on.  Is BOSE going to publish a further software update for the 650 to correct these issues?

Regards

Al Barker

Liam_G

Thank you for clarifying Al. 

Did you manage to get a new optical cable?
If yes, Can I get you to double check that the TV's audio settings are outputting to optical. If it is trying to output to HDMI, it could explain why it is having issues. 

If you are using HDMI, Can you try to plug the console into a different HDMI (non-arc) as well to make sure it can try and output via HDMI. 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

albarker01
Participant
Registered since

May 26, 2021

Liam - Thank for getting back to me and I apologise for not being clearer in my description on what i did.  I got a new optical lead and plugged that in the optical connector on the TV and then directly into Optical 2 on the 650 console.  There does not appear to be an optical option for sound out on the TV - I suspect that having selected the Home Cinema option it automatically senses either e-ARC/ARC or optical as the output channel.  So Home Cinema option was selected on the TV menu and the HDMI output from the 650 connected to HDMI 1 channel on the TV (HDMI 2 is the eARC/ARC).  TV Sound was selected to Optical 2 on the 650 Setup menu.  VIERA Link was set to ON on the TV for both TV and HDMI 1.  TV worked fine as described above with video and sound as expected.  However, when I selected HDMI 1 on the TV AV menu, nothing from either the DVR nor the Apple TV - no sound nor video apart from a short 5 sec max of both.  The problem cleared as soon as I selected VIERA Link to OFF on TV HDMI 1 menu option!

As I have said above I do not want to have any more cables coming from the back of the TV - the very reason I purchased the 650.  So, I am removing the optical cable and reverting the HDMI output from the 650 to the eARC/ARC HDMI channel on the TV.

Looks like I will have to keep changing the VIERA Link setting on the TV from ON to OFF whenever I use the DVR or Apple TV.  Not an ideal solution.  There must be another way for such a premium marque Home Cinema system.  I am lost at the moment on what else i can do.

Is there to be a software or firmware upgrade to the 650 to address this anomoly?