Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blurace
Participant
Registered since

May 5, 2021

Lifestyle V20 for audio only with optical cable

Hello all,

I have a Lifestyle V20 Home Theater system setup with my TV for audio only using optical cable. Everything was working fine until recently. I have to unplug all devices to run the cable in the cable and plug back the whole thing. For some odd reason, I was not getting a signal anymore from the TV through optical cable. I fiddled around with a few settings on TV and Lifestyle system with no success. A few hours later, the signal started coming through again in optical cable magically.

Unfortunately, sound from is not coming out of Lifestyle system anymore. TV's optical able is plugging directly into the TV optical input in Media Center. In Media Center settings page, the Coaxial Source is also set to TV.

When I play something on TV and set the Bose Display TV, there's a new message displayed underneath for a few seconds that says "(Choose TV Input)". I have never seen this message before and can't find anything about it in User's Manual. Is anybody familiar with this "error" message?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Lifestyle V20 for audio only with optical cable

Author Accepted Answer selected by blurace

@blurace wrote:

Thank you very much for the super quick reply.

I have followed your instruction and set Coaxial source to "None", but I'm not getting audio from TV out through Bose sound system. When I see red light coming out of optical cable, that confirms that cable is not damaged, right?

Ok, that's the first part then. We need to figure out if the fault is with the TV, the Cable, or the receiver.

Can you verify that the MC1 receivers TV input isn't damaged then? If you grab another device that has an optical out (like a DVD/Blu-ray player) and plug it into that TV input. Let us know if you can hear anything. Can you hear anything using any of the MC1's optical inputs?

What happens when you replace the optical cable connected to your TV & MC1. Does it work now?

Next, connect the TV's optical out to another input on the back of your MC1. Let us know what happens.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@blurace wrote:

I have a Lifestyle V20 Home Theater system setup with my TV for audio only using optical cable. Everything was working fine until recently. (..) Unfortunately, sound from is not coming out of Lifestyle system anymore. TV's optical able is plugging directly into the TV optical input in Media Center. In Media Center settings page, the Coaxial Source is also set to TV.

Ok, So you are using Optical from the TV and plugged into the MC1 receivers TV input and Coax is also set to the TV input. Well, there's your problem.

By assigning Coax to the TV input, it tells the MC1 receiver to ignore the RCA and Optical input plugged into the TV input on your MC-1 receiver. Unless you are using the assignable Coax for something in particular you need to return to the settings and turn that off.

MC1 receiverMC1 receiver

Since you are only using this for audio only, you might not need it, but I did make a guide to help people get the most out of their MC1 receiver especially with 4K devices. I should also mention that you can upgrade your receiver to one which supports lossless HDMI audio and has more HDMI inputs. It also doesn't support 4K, but is the best receiver your subwoofer supports and there is a guide to help you get the best out of this receiver as well.

I hope that this helps answer your question. Let us know what happens 🙂

Vicky_W

Hello Blurace, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums. 

This is strange, let's see what we can do to get this fixed for you. To start, is there any damage to the Optical cable at all? Have you tried another cable? If so, we have a wide range of troubleshooting available here. Please could you give the steps a try and let me know how you get on?

I look forward to your reply. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
blurace
Participant
Registered since

May 5, 2021

I have followed your instruction and set Coaxial source to "None", but I'm not getting audio from TV out through Bose sound system. When I see red light coming out of optical cable, that confirms that cable is not damaged, right?

PXL_20210505_221551434.jpg

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by blurace

@blurace wrote:

Ok, that's the first part then. We need to figure out if the fault is with the TV, the Cable, or the receiver.

Can you verify that the MC1 receivers TV input isn't damaged then? If you grab another device that has an optical out (like a DVD/Blu-ray player) and plug it into that TV input. Let us know if you can hear anything. Can you hear anything using any of the MC1's optical inputs?

What happens when you replace the optical cable connected to your TV & MC1. Does it work now?

Next, connect the TV's optical out to another input on the back of your MC1. Let us know what happens.

View solution in original post

blurace
Participant
Registered since

May 5, 2021

Mr NeonsNight, you are a magic person. I replaced the optical cable and now it works. Thank you very much for the guidance here. I was going crazy!!!!

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@blurace wrote:

Mr NeonsNight, you are a magic person. I replaced the optical cable and now it works. Thank you very much for the guidance here. I was going crazy!!!!

Glad I could help 🙂

Don't forget that if you ever wish to upgrade your receiver from the MC1 receiver to the AV35 receiver which includes more HDMI inputs and supports lossless audio, you can.

MC1 receiverMC1 receiverAV35 receiverAV35 receiver

While the AV35 doesn't support 4K, CEC, or ARC it is a pretty good all-around receiver and if you want to use 4K devices with it, I made a guide to help with that as well.