whazn
Participant
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Lifestyle V30 Firestick beware

Hello all, 

My parents have been using their Bose Lifestyle V30 system for about 10 years now and everything has been great. They use the two HDMI slots for Cable and an Amazon Firestick. However, recently the HDMI slot has stopped working. I think it's from the Amazon Firestick since my parents mentioned that it would get hot sometimes. 

Anyone have any insight on this? Is this a Firestick issue or just due to old age? They use the CBL HDMI input way more than the DVD one (which is the Firestick) and the CBL input is doing fine. 

Bose LifeStyle V30

USA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Mentor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Lifestyle V30 Firestick beware

Author Accepted Answer selected by whazn

@whazn wrote:

Hello all, 

My parents have been using their Bose Lifestyle V30 system for about 10 years now and everything has been great. They use the two HDMI slots for Cable and an Amazon Firestick. However, recently the HDMI slot has stopped working. I think it's from the Amazon Firestick since my parents mentioned that it would get hot sometimes. 

Anyone have any insight on this? Is this a Firestick issue or just due to old age? They use the CBL HDMI input way more than the DVD one (which is the Firestick) and the CBL input is doing fine. 

Bose LifeStyle V30

USA

It looks like this is an issue with Amazon Firesticks overheating (a weirdly appropriate term it seems). I made a guide to help people get the most out of their MC1 receiver. You might want to check it out to see if there is anything there that might be able to help them especially if the second HDMI slot is now broken.

I hope that this answer helps solve your question. Let us know what you ended up doing 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
NeonsNight
Mentor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by whazn

@whazn wrote:

Hello all, 

Bose LifeStyle V30

USA

It looks like this is an issue with Amazon Firesticks overheating (a weirdly appropriate term it seems). I made a guide to help people get the most out of their MC1 receiver. You might want to check it out to see if there is anything there that might be able to help them especially if the second HDMI slot is now broken.

I hope that this answer helps solve your question. Let us know what you ended up doing 🙂

View solution in original post

whazn
Participant
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Thanks for the response and insight. So my parents are debating about getting another media center from eBay. Since almost all of the inputs are HDMI these days, having one of the two HDMIs out of commission takes out a lot of functionality. 

Moving forward I will suggest they use another streaming device. Maybe Apple TV since they are a fan of the apple ecosystem. 

NeonsNight
Mentor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@whazn wrote:

Thanks for the response and insight. So my parents are debating about getting another media center from eBay. Since almost all of the inputs are HDMI these days, having one of the two HDMIs out of commission takes out a lot of functionality. 

I would purchase an AV35 receiver as it works with your subwoofer and is the most advanced... and last model to work with your subwoofer. I made a guide explaining what to look out for.

It includes 4 HDMI's (one on the front) and supports lossless audio. Just note that the AV35 does not support 4K, CEC, or ARC. So I made another guide to help connect the AV35 to a 4K TV.

@whazn wrote:

Moving forward I will suggest they use another streaming device. Maybe Apple TV since they are a fan of the apple ecosystem. 

AppleTV is a very good choice, though I would take a look at GoogleTV as it supports every streaming service out there including AppleTV+, it's very simple to set up and use, and is far cheaper than an AppleTV (GoogleTV sells for $50 while AppleTV sells for $150).

I hope that this helps answer your question. Let us know what your parents end up doing 🙂

whazn
Participant
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Thanks for that info! I think I will get the AV35 receiver if the media center fully dies. Is there any way that this unit could support ARC? 

NeonsNight
Mentor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@whazn wrote:

Thanks for that info! I think I will get the AV35 receiver if the media center fully dies. 

Yes, purchasing a replacement AV35 is by far a better choice than purchasing another MC1 (remember to purchase the power supply & remote as mentioned in the upgrade guide). I'm surprised you haven't already looked for one as the MC1's HDMI port seems to have been damaged by the Firestick.

@whazn wrote:

Is there any way that this unit could support ARC? 

Absolutely none. The internal chips would need to be replaced and possibly other modifications to make this work. Unless you can convince a modder to spend a year or more to decode what each chip does and to create an internal modification to add ARC capabilities, this will never happen. 

You could get a 3rd party HDMI ARC Optical stripper if your TV does not have an optical out. But as ARC and Optical support the same audio formats, there is little reason to do this... that is unless you already only have a single HDMI cable wired inside a wall. 

00227116_HDMI ARC connection-2.png

If you're looking for the best options, I would check out the guide I made:

1. If you are looking for 4K support for the AV35, look at "Option 1" 
  2. If you also want lossless audio support (if you have a device with 2 HDMI outs), then you need to use "Option 2"
  3. If you also want ARC & CEC for your AV35, check out "Option 3" 
  4. Finally, if you want to have a Bose receiver that has 4K, ARC, & CEC built-in. Then you need to find a local Bose dealer and see if they will trade in your existing system as mentioned in "Option 4"

I hope that helps solve your question 🙂