Ph1L
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

Lifestyle upgrade from V30 to 650 - issue with Apple TV4K

I've recently upgraded my 10 years old Lifestyle V30, to 650.

I decided to use 1 HDMI cable to my LG OLED65C7V, and then connecting both Apple TV4K + Xbox One X to the Bose system.

I started watching my first 4K movie on the Apple TV4K, efter I've finished setting up my Bose Lifestyle 650, including the Adaptiq calibration.

After 30 min. movie time, the screen went black, to grey to nothing. I restarted everything, nothing helped. I couldn't get the screen back on, with Apple TV as the source. So I went to bed ...

I've never had these issues before I plugged everything to the Bose system. It should be updated according to the Bose setup menu.

Any suggestion?

My LG TV is with latest firmware and the Apple TV4K is with tvOS14 beta 4.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ph1L
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

Re: Lifestyle upgrade from V30 to 650 - issue with Apple TV4K

Author Accepted Answer selected by Ph1L

Update:

A Google search today, might have helped me.

I've unplugged power to the Bose LF650 system twice, and waited more than 10 seconds.

NOW the TV apps do work with sound, using HDMI ARC. Yes!

Which HDMI cable will you recommend, using to connect Apple TV4K to the LF650 system?

I want to be able to use Dolby Vision, both on the TV and on the Apple TV4K.

Currently I get noise on picture, if Apple TV4K is setup to Dolby Vision. I think this could be related to the HDMI cable used.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Charlotte_G

Hey @Ph1L, welcome to the Bose Community!

I hope you are otherwise enjoying your upgrade to the Lifestyle 650 system. 🙂

It's strange that your Apple TV was working just fine but suddenly quit working. Is your Apple TV working when plugged directly into your TV?

I also notice that you are running a beta version of the tvOS. It's possible to experience hiccups with the beta firmware/software, as you may be aware. 

Are all other sources through the Lifestyle 650 working without fault?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Ph1L
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

I've found the root cause:

If using any other video output setting, on the Apple TV4K, than 4K SDR 50 HZ & with HDR / Ultra HD OFF on the LG OLED, then you will get noise on your screen. Either lots of white & grey dots, or crazy colours like pink, green etc.

I must say, that I'm really disappointed for the LS650 system.

1: LG OLED TV apps, have no sound, what so ever, when using sound out to HDMI 1 ARC, to Bose LF650

2: You can't run 4K HDR 60 HZ for example, on Apple TV4K. Only 4K SDR 50 HZ is supported

This is a shame! I hope i'm wrong, but this is my conclusion after alot of hours spend toubleshooting

Vicky_W

@Ph1L, thanks for getting back to us. Your system supports the following audio formats: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and Multichannel PCM. Along with six HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 inputs that support 4K/60fps, 4K HDR, HDR10 video formats and A2DP, AVRCP, BLE Bluetooth codecs. I feel there may be an issue due to the formats you are using not being supported. Charlotte's question, ' Is your Apple TV working when plugged directly into your TV?' would be interesting to know the answer too, this would help us to find the cause.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Ph1L
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

I can use 4K HDR 60 HZ etc., direct connect HDMI between TV and Apple TV4K.

How to get sound from the TV apps? It worked before, when I used optical cable, to my LF30 system. Symlink, CEC etc. is all on. I've even reset the TV, without any difference.

Now I want everything connected to the Bose system, using 1 HDMI cable only to the TV.

I'm using the HDMI cable, which came with the Bose LF650 system.
Searching for my issues around the Internet, shows alot of more people, sadly having exact issue. Currently no solution found for me (or them I guess).

Vicky_W

@Ph1L, which apps are you using specifically? And is the TV audio set to external speakers or something worded similarly? Could you please send me a photo of the back of your system and how it is all connected? 

Ph1L
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

Primary Danish streaming apps, and then Disney+. None of these works with sound output to LF650. Internal speaker sound works (but who will ever use that? 😉 )

I have 1 x HDMI cable (the one that followed with the Bose package), connected to the TV LG OLEDC67V, using HDMI1 (ARC), to Bose TV-input.

At the Bose system, I have connected HDMI1 to Apple TV4K, and HDMI2 to Xbox One X.

Vicky_W

Thanks for confirming @Ph1L, could you please try the steps here and let me know how it goes?

Ph1L
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

Actually I've alread been through all these stops. No luck still 😞

Everything is correct connected

Everything have been reset (TV & Bose)

All internal Bose speakers tests are completed with success

Ph1L
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 7, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by Ph1L

Update:

A Google search today, might have helped me.

I've unplugged power to the Bose LF650 system twice, and waited more than 10 seconds.

NOW the TV apps do work with sound, using HDMI ARC. Yes!

Which HDMI cable will you recommend, using to connect Apple TV4K to the LF650 system?

I want to be able to use Dolby Vision, both on the TV and on the Apple TV4K.

Currently I get noise on picture, if Apple TV4K is setup to Dolby Vision. I think this could be related to the HDMI cable used.

View solution in original post