Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 2, 2020

Lifestyle v20 can't get the surround sound system to work with new 4K television

We purchased an Insignia 4k television and have our Lifestyle V20 hooked up to it for the sound, but we cannot get the surround sound to work.  The sound only comes out of the center front speaker.  We the audio hooked up to the audio out with an A/V cable and have switched it between the audio out and the headphone jack on the television, but cannot get the surround sound to work.  Should we get an optical cable and converter to the RCA jacks to get the surround sound to work.  

We love the lifestyle system, but I am considering getting a new system to get the surround sound to work but would rather not do so if I can get the Lifestyle system to work.  

Please help.  Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Lifestyle v20 can't get the surround sound system to work with new 4K television

That Bose is at least 10 years old.  It might be problematic finding a good way to connect it to your new TV that will work. It also depends on what your are trying to do.

Where do you have your cable or satellite TV connected?  Is it connected to the Bose or TV?  Most new TV's use HDMI ARC between the TV and sound system for a two-way communication of both sound and video.

Personally, I prefer to connect cable box, DVD, CD, etc to my TV using HDMI in.  Then all I need is a way to send sound from TV to Bose.  That can be HDMI, optical, RCA, etc.

You also need to go into the TV sound settings and turn-off the TV internal speakers and turn-on the TV's sound out to HDMI/optical if that's what you are using.