Johnml13
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2017

Newish Bose home theater system

I’m currently using a Bose Lifestye model 5 that worked awesome. I think it’s starting to go, it works intermittently. I’ve had to replace the receiver and cord that connects them along with the remote. Since it seems to be on its way out - and I can’t afford a new Bose system, can anybody recommend a new Bose system? I see many listed on a auction site but don’t want to buy one that’s almost as old as my current system. My lifestyle really worked great for the last 10-12 years and I’m bummed it’s starting to go. Hopefully someone can recommend one I can try to find on a auction site that will surpass my life state 5 thanks-

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Newish Bose home theater system

Hello Johnml13, 

Thanks for reaching out today. 

Please do not give up yet, if you let me know the exact make of your system such as what Lifestyle 5 version it is, we can look to completing some troubleshooting to restore the life into your system. 

I look forward to your response. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Highlighted
Johnml13
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2017

E8635A64-E223-4225-844B-650968B3995C.jpegF0F386A8-E271-403C-AF92-C6C3DC2CF081.jpeg

Johnml13
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2017

I’m pretty sure the receiver works because the disk spins but it seems to be getting worse getting any sound from the speakers. When it’s not working, I can’t even get the demo sound disk to play. I’m pretty sure this system is probably 12-15 years old.

Johnml13
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2017

Also, I don’t know if the problem is in the sub. I’m open to buying a new system off eBay, but I can’t even find out the difference between the newer ones and older ones. If I’m gonna buy, I’d like to try to find one that’s not as old as mine.

Hello Johnml13, 

Thank you for getting this information to us. 

Let's start by performing a reset on the system. This can be done by following these steps:

1. Turn the system off
  2. Unplug the music center power supply from the power outlet
  3. Unplug the audio input cable from the music center
  4. Unplug the Acoustimass module power cord from the power outlet
  5. Unplug the audio input cable from the Acoustimass module. Wait 30 seconds
  6. Reconnect the audio input cable to the Acoustimass module
  7. Reconnect the audio input cable to the music center
  8. Reconnect the Acoustimass module power cord
  9. Reconnect the music center power supply
  10. Retest the system

Additionally, please ensure that all cables are securely attached by following this guide:

1. Connect the RCA plugs of the audio input cable to the Speaker A jacks on the system console
  2. Connect the 1/8" (3.5 mm) plug of the audio input cable to the System Control 1 jack on the system console
  3. Connect the 5-pin plug of the audio input cable to the Audio Input jack on the bass module
  4. Connect the speaker cables from each speaker to the Outputs to Cube Speakers jacks on the bass module
  5. Connect the power cord from the bass module to an AC (mains) outlet
  6. Connect the power supply from the AC Power jack on the system console to an AC (mains) outlet

Get back to us if the problem persists.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Johnml13
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2017

Thanks Charlotte, I will try that the next time it doesn’t start. My receiver has no indicator light to let me know it’s on, so I have to open the CD door to see if the disk is spinning. Started looking on eBay for another system however, I just don’t know the newish systems from the old (like Mine) systems. I definitely don’t want to buy one that’s a decade old like mine which I’m guessing is 15 years old.

Hi @Johnml13 .

Please keep up in the loop for your issue!

As far as other systems go, this would depend on the type of system you're after. I appreciate that you noted you don't have the money for a newer system, and I would recommend you be careful if you purchase a pre-owned system, but I would have some suggestions nonetheless!

Our Lifestyle V10, V20, T10 and T20 systems may fit your interests. These systems were made from around 2007-2012 so you may find used items within your price range.

My personal suggestion would be to look here at the list of the home theatre and soundbar products, and look through the information in relation to those systems. You may find one that you're interested in that way, and can investigate to follow up.

If you choose to get a new system, I hope this helps you locate a system you're happy with!

Please let me know when you have those updates, or if you have any other questions 😊.

Liam W