Iceman1965
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

No sound when TV is selected

I've just moved house and have reconnected my Lifestyle v20, it's wired exactly as it has been for the last 12 years, however there is no no sound. The Soundtouch works fine, as does the Blueray, just not the television when selected? Any pointers please?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: No sound when TV is selected

Hello Iceman1965,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear you are having audio issues with your Lifestyle and I would be happy to help with this.

Just to clarify, how have we got the console connected to the TV? Which cable are we using?

When watching something on the TV, do we get audio from the TV's own speakers? Or are we getting no sound at all?

It's possible that the TV, may not be sending audio to the correct output for the Lifestyle, so it would definitely be worth us checking the TV's settings for which output it is using.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Iceman1965
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

I have the TV connected by HDMI main cable from the media centre to HDMI 1. This is the only connection to the TV.

I don't recall there being a connection from the TV to the TV input on the media centre before? 

Regards

Highlighted

Hey Iceman1965, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. 

Can you please answer Keith's question about of when watching something on the TV, do we get audio from the TV's own speakers? Or are we getting no sound at all?

Let's also try resetting the main console and testing the connection with the TV again, this can be done by: 

• Turn the media console off. Wait until “Saving your settings” disappears from the display
  • Unplug the media console power cord from the power outlet. Wait 30 seconds
  • Reconnect the power cord
  • Wait for the words "Bose Lifestyle" to appear and disappear from the display before turning the system back on
  • Retest the system

In regards to the input question, this wouldn't be a physical connection, this would be a setting on the TV that may need to be adjusted. 

I look forward to hearing back from you with the result of this. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Iceman1965
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

The sound is coming from the TV itself. 

I will look at resetting the Bose itself too. 

Highlighted
Iceman1965
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

I still get no sound if selecting TV on the media centre.

Highlighted

Hi Iceman,

With the Lifestyle v20, you do need more than just the HDMI cable connected to get audio from your TV. The v20 uses the HDMI purely for video, so you would need an audio cable as well.

The best cable to use would be an optical cable, connected from the optical out on your TV, to the 'audio in' for the TV on your console. This should get the TV to automatically switch over to using the optical out. If it does not, there will be a setting in your TV's audio or sound options that will allow you to change this manually.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Highlighted
Iceman1965
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 27, 2018

Strange, as I didn't have an optical cable connected before I moved and had sound from the TV to media centre. 

Highlighted

Hi Iceman1965,

That is indeed strange as you do need a separate audio cable from the TV to the media center. It may not have been an optical cable as there are a couple of options for the audio cable available on the media center, but I would recommend the optical cable for the best quality audio. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Keith L