Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2020

Not Deyecting HDMI

I have owned a Bose 650 home cinema system for just a few months.  Up until a few weeks ago all was fine.  Now when switching to 4k Blu-ray player it says no HDMI detected. I suspected a faulty player but it works with other TVs.

When this happens I have noted that the Sat box input into the Bose shows sound to be in LCPM 2 and not Dolby Digital even when the broadcast is Dolby Digital.  

Switching off the entire system via the Bose remote and restarting sometimes cures the lack of HDMI input from the Blu-Ray but sometimes the system shows 4k to be in 1080p with LCPM 2 sound and not 4K with DD5.1.  On occasions I have had to switch everything off at the mains for a few moments to get the system to see the Blu-Ray HDMI signal.

Both the TV and 4k Blu-Ray are Samsung.

My local Bose store, who generally offer good advice, is closed due to Covid 19 - Can anyone offer advice or a potential solution?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Not Deyecting HDMI

Hi BrettC,

Thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your 650 system. 

To give me a better understanding, can you please confirm: 

- Model number of the Blu-ray player

- Have you tested another Blu-ray player with the system?

- Have you tried using a new HDMI cable?

- Have you checked the audio format options on the Blu-ray player itself? 

I'll look forward to your reply!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2020

Re: Not Detecting HDMI

The Blu-Ray player is a Samsung UBD-K8500-ZF.

I don't have another Blu-Ray or another cable to try at the moment. As soon as stock levels return I will be upgrading to the Panasonic 820 with a new cable. But with the covid situation deliveries are erratic.

I have reviewed the box settings and set as appropriate.  The (Bose) system worked just fine for the first month or so and no firmware updates have just been installed on any items in recent weeks.

Both the sound reverting to 2.0 LPCM and lack of detection of the HDMI connection seem to be intermittent. I.e., everything can be working fine in the evening but next day we are back to square one.  

The system is turned off via the Bose remote and the power is not disconnected at the mains plug.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I would go purchase a new high quality HDMI cable from Best Buy or a store such as that.  If that doesn't solve the problem, you can return the cable for a full refund.  If you don't want to go there, Amazon has excellent, no questions return except for shipping cost to get it to you.  To return, you just drop it at nearest UPS store.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2020

Today I received my new UHD Blu-Ray player.   A Panasonic UB820.

Connected with a new high speed 4k HDMI cable and so far no problems either with sound or vision. Will report back after it has been in use for a few weeks.  One new feature which I really do like is the HDR optimisation button on the Panasonic which allows adjustment of the HDR signal to cope with different light surroundings.  Netflix was a nightmare with many HDR programmes coming up really dark - Sorted it would seem!

Why the Samsung player took to not displaying, or playing back only in 2 LPCM is still a mystery.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2020

Problem not entirely resolved by new fast HDMI cable and UHD Blu-Ray player.

Okay. So after thinking all was resolved I tried the new Star Wars 4k disc and.... No sound what-so-ever! Switching back to the Sat box and we are back to 2.0 LPCM even for transmissions in Dolby Digital. This morning the Bose only wants to work in 2.0 LPCM from any source.   Switching off at mains for 5 mins and it is back into DD from all sources... but it no longer switches on Sat Box or Blu-Ray when 'source' is used on the Bose remote (it was previously).

So far I have not had the 'No HDMI Detected' message but clearly it seems the Bose is not decoding incoming signals properly all the time.

Does anyone know of a tweak in settings to stop this or is the unit going back to Bose?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey BrettC, sorry to hear that your issues are still ongoing, despite testing an alternative Blu-Ray player.

Is your Lifestyle system connected to the internet via the SoundTouch app? I'd like to be sure that the latest firmware is running on the system. We have not yet confirmed, and I assume to be the case, but to double-check - both Blu-Ray players have been plugged directly into the Lifestyle system, and not the TV, is that correct? While there are no settings tweaks that come immediately to mind, have you programmed each Blu-Ray player within the Lifestyle system's Unify set up menu, and able to successfully operate both with the Bose remote? 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2020

Yes the system is connected to the internet and showing firmware up to date.  In fact all firmware in all items up to date.

Both Blu-ray players and the sat box are connected to the Bose, not the TV. The connection to the TV from the Bose is via the ARC HDMI connection.  Both Blu-ray players were/are being controlled by the Bose remote, albeit that selecting them on via source no longer turns on each unit.

I have also removed all items from the Bose menu and reinstalled them. No difference.  If it was just the blu-ray then I would be thinking there is something mis-set in the out put from that device but as the Sat box also only wants to play in 2.0 LPCM when the Blu-ray won't decode 5.1 seems to suggest the Bose is struggling with DD input.

???? 

Highlighted

Thanks for coming back to us! 

Have tried a different HDMI port on the Lifestyle system? It's a long shot but this may also help. I would recommend resetting the console before you move the HDMI cables. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Participant
Registered since

Mar 31, 2020

Yes. tried Different HDMI . Not difference.

Everything working fine last night - Today only outputs is 2.0LPCM again.  Two minute toal power down needed to stereo DD output.

I am considering the one last step is to remove all inputs, reset Bose and reconnect everything again.

If that does not sure it then it has to be returned.

YouTube videos cite this as the only way to get DD working again. On such an expensive unit this is crazy.