Sydblues
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2021

Old lifestyle system's satellite stopped working

Bose product name

My system is about 20 years old, and I am unable to track its model. I took pictures of the stickers attached to the subwoofer and the control panel, I tried to insert the serial numbers in the support menu, but I keep getting false serial input message.

Country

Israel

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I kindly ask for help tracking which system do I own, I want to consider a repair of the satellite (I have two in total, one is still working fine), or either trying to purchase a single satellite that matches my system. right now, I am not sure which one I own.

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Quiet room.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Well for about 20 years I had no problem with the system. about two weeks ago I noticed that one of the satellites stopped working.. 😞

Any troubleshooting steps you took

1. Different cable
  2. Different output

Some pictures I took that might help:

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 15.34.12 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 15.34.12.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 15.34.13 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 15.34.13 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 15.34.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 15.34.55.jpeg

Any help with be greatly appreciated, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Old lifestyle system's satellite stopped working

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

@Sydblues wrote:

First of all amazing job by you making the chart listed. I As you said it seems that I own Lifestyle 12 Series I.

Glad I could help 🙂

@Sydblues wrote:

The weirdest thing happened today. after a week where the non functional speaker was disconnected from the system, in some kind of trying my luck trial, I tried to connect it and it worked!

The sound was good, it was in balance with the full functional speaker. And it worked for about 3 hours. Now the same thing back again, its not working.

I used to functional speaker to test both sides (L+R) of: Input from AUX, Output from control unit, Output from the Acousticmass. In all cases, the functional speaker played and the 2nd one in the same connection did not.

Now I suspect that there is a problem with the speaker's inputs, I tried to apply contacts spray and air pressure to remove dust and maybe some corrosion but it's still not working.

The weird thing is that it worked again for a while and then stopped again without me doing anything to it.

I feel like this case might be an easy and even cheap (if its truly contact problem). Maybe I am too optimistic.. 

Does anyone have an idea what can cause this problem? I would love to get some assistance. Don't worry about throwing electronics terminologies if necessary (I am a mechanical engineer but I still know some electronics :P).

Thanks again for the kind fellows who answered before.

The issue could be many things, it could be the speaker, it could be the wires, it could be the receiver, it could be the subwoofer. 

It's really just a lot of trial and error to figure out what's going on.

I would swap around the speaker with one that works and see if the issue follows the speaker. If it does, you know what the issue is. If it doesn't then it is one of the other issues I mentioned. 

If it's not the speaker or the speaker cable I am unsure how to help. It would be a lot easier if you knew anyone who had the same model as you so could swap out parts to find out where the problem is. You could purchase replacement subwoofers & receivers from eBay, or you could replace the system entirely. You could even contact My Bose Repair and see if they can assist.

If you do figure out what's going on, get everything working again, and decide to keep it. I made a guide to help people get the most out of their Lifestyle CD system. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Sydblues wrote:

Bose product name

My system is about 20 years old, and I am unable to track its model. I took pictures of the stickers attached to the subwoofer and the control panel, I tried to insert the serial numbers in the support menu, but I keep getting false serial input message.

Country

Israel

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I kindly ask for help tracking which system do I own, I want to consider a repair of the satellite (I have two in total, one is still working fine), or either trying to purchase a single satellite that matches my system. right now, I am not sure which one I own.

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Quiet room.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Well for about 20 years I had no problem with the system. about two weeks ago I noticed that one of the satellites stopped working.. 😞

Any troubleshooting steps you took

1. Different cable
  2. Different output

Some pictures I took that might help:

Any help with be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I made a chart to show which Lifestyle CD receivers are compatible with which subwoofer.

Do you have 5 red lined (double-falcon) speakers or 5 ports for speakers on the subwoofer? I ask this since you have an Acoustimass 9 subwoofer with a CD5 receiver, it looks like you have a Lifestyle 12 series I. That system has 5 cube speakers. More info is in the chart I linked to. 

I hope that this helps answer your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

The problem could be the double cube speaker, the console, or the subwoofer or a cable.  I would do some swapping around to see if the problem follows the cube speaker or the console output, or the subwoofer input, or output.

If it's just the cube speaker, you can probably find one on eBay that would work or buy two so you have a matched pair.  If it's the console or subwoofer, I would ditch that old system and get something new.  It's probably not worth fooling with, much less paying for a repair if that's even possible.

Sydblues
Participant
Registered since

Jun 12, 2021

First of all amazing job by you making the chart listed. I As you said it seems that I own Lifestyle 12 Series I.

The weirdest thing happened today. after a week where the non functional speaker was disconnected from the system, in some kind of trying my luck trial, I tried to connect it and it worked!

The sound was good, it was in balance with the full functional speaker. And it worked for about 3 hours. Now the same thing back again, its not working.

I used to functional speaker to test both sides (L+R) of: Input from AUX, Output from control unit, Output from the Acousticmass. In all cases, the functional speaker played and the 2nd one in the same connection did not.

Now I suspect that there is a problem with the speaker's inputs, I tried to apply contacts spray and air pressure to remove dust and maybe some corrosion but it's still not working.

The weird thing is that it worked again for a while and then stopped again without me doing anything to it.

I feel like this case might be an easy and even cheap (if its truly contact problem). Maybe I am too optimistic.. 

Does anyone have an idea what can cause this problem? I would love to get some assistance. Don't worry about throwing electronics terminologies if necessary (I am a mechanical engineer but I still know some electronics :P).

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Perhaps a lose connection inside the speaker.  If it was mine, I would figure out how to open it up and take a look.  If you can't find the problem, eBay is the answer.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Vicky_W

@Sydblues wrote:

Glad I could help 🙂

@Sydblues wrote:

The issue could be many things, it could be the speaker, it could be the wires, it could be the receiver, it could be the subwoofer. 

It's really just a lot of trial and error to figure out what's going on.

I would swap around the speaker with one that works and see if the issue follows the speaker. If it does, you know what the issue is. If it doesn't then it is one of the other issues I mentioned. 

If it's not the speaker or the speaker cable I am unsure how to help. It would be a lot easier if you knew anyone who had the same model as you so could swap out parts to find out where the problem is. You could purchase replacement subwoofers & receivers from eBay, or you could replace the system entirely. You could even contact My Bose Repair and see if they can assist.

If you do figure out what's going on, get everything working again, and decide to keep it. I made a guide to help people get the most out of their Lifestyle CD system. 

View solution in original post