Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 18, 2019

Older Lifestyle 38 Home Theater and New TV

I have an older (2006) Lifestyle 38 system that I am trying to hook up to a new TV, and it doesn't seem like the connections will match.  Is there a product, or way to do this?

I don't have cable (internet only), so I have hooked up the Chromecast and the Roku already--those were easy.  I'd like to get the LS 38 hooked up and channel all TV sound through it--can someone give me a place to start?  Thanks so much.

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Older Lifestyle 38 Home Theater and New TV

Use optical from your TV to the Bose.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 18, 2019

I'm not really sure what that means . . . can you elaborate?

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Your Bose and your TV probably both have an optical jack that you connect using an optical cable.  You can google it.  The optical cable carries audio only.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 18, 2019

I don't seem to see an audio jack on the back of the LS 38--there is one on the back of the TV.  This is an older (2006) LS 38.

Highlighted

Hello JayneB, 

As per @jimgfitz post, I would also recommend using optical to connect to the Lifestyle 38 system. Please see the attached image to help you locate the optical in port on your 38 console.

optical in.JPG

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 18, 2019

Jeff G I don't see an attachment.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 18, 2019

Thank you.  I am using an HDMI adaptor for the red/white/yellow output from the LS 38 to the television.  Do I need to change that out as well?  Asking before I head to the electronics store.

Highlighted

Hi Jayne B, 

Please refresh the page, the image is inserted into the post. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted

Hi Jayne, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I can confirm the video output to the TV on the Lifestyle 48 only carries video signals, not audio. In any case, if your source is inserted directly into the back of the console, there is no need to send the audio up to the television as the Lifestyle handles the audio processing and playback.

In instances where you have sources plugged into the television, you need to be able to send the audio down to the system. Therefore, the optical input is the best method for doing this. 

If you have any further questions, please feel free to get back in touch.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support