cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SiggiG
Contributor
  • 0
  • 9
  • 0
Registered since

May 5, 2021

Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48

The Lifestyle 48 console has an "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT" - and I am wondering whether I can use it to output audio?

 

Specifically, I am wondering whether I can use an "Optical Digital (Audio) to Bluetooth converter" that connects to the "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT" of the Lifestyle 48 such that I can then pair 'indirectly' the Lifestyle 48 (through the converter and "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT") with headphones.

 

If this is possible, can I control the Lifestyle 48 with its remote such that the Main Zone speakers are muted but the audio comes only through the "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT" (ie, to the headphones)?

 

Thank you

 

 

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
  • 170
  • 950
  • 130
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

@SiggiG wrote:

The Lifestyle 48 console has an "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT" - and I am wondering whether I can use it to output audio?

 

Specifically, I am wondering whether I can use an "Optical Digital (Audio) to Bluetooth converter" that connects to the "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT" of the Lifestyle 48 


Yeah, that should work. Though while there are a few Bluetooth devices that accept optical audio, most accept audio from RCA, I list a couple of examples in this post. Luckily as you can see below the AV48 has RCA, Digital Coax, and Optical audio outs.

AV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiverAV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiver


@SiggiG wrote:

such that I can then pair 'indirectly' the Lifestyle 48 (through the converter and "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT") with headphones.

 

If this is possible, can I control the Lifestyle 48 with its remote such that the Main Zone speakers are muted but the audio comes only through the "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT" (ie, to the headphones)?

 

Thank you


There is already a headphone out on your AV48 receiver that when plugged in will mute your receiver instantly. You should be able to use the remote to control it when plugged in.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
NeonsNight
Expert
  • 170
  • 950
  • 130
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

@SiggiG wrote:

The Lifestyle 48 console has an "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT" - and I am wondering whether I can use it to output audio?

 

Specifically, I am wondering whether I can use an "Optical Digital (Audio) to Bluetooth converter" that connects to the "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT" of the Lifestyle 48 


Yeah, that should work. Though while there are a few Bluetooth devices that accept optical audio, most accept audio from RCA, I list a couple of examples in this post. Luckily as you can see below the AV48 has RCA, Digital Coax, and Optical audio outs.

AV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiverAV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiver


@SiggiG wrote:

such that I can then pair 'indirectly' the Lifestyle 48 (through the converter and "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT") with headphones.

 

If this is possible, can I control the Lifestyle 48 with its remote such that the Main Zone speakers are muted but the audio comes only through the "Optical Digital (Audio) OUT" (ie, to the headphones)?

 

Thank you


There is already a headphone out on your AV48 receiver that when plugged in will mute your receiver instantly. You should be able to use the remote to control it when plugged in.

View solution in original post

SiggiG
Contributor
  • 0
  • 9
  • 0
Registered since

May 5, 2021

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48

Thank you - very useful.

 

When using the optical audio OUT or RCA audio OUT to connect to a Bluetooth transmitter device, is there a way to control the Lifestyle 48 such that the main zone speakers are off but the optical audio OUT or RCA audio OUT are selected? 

 

I understand that when using the headphone OUT, when plugging in a jack the main zone speakers are automatically off.

 

Thanks,

Siggi

NeonsNight
Expert
  • 170
  • 950
  • 130
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48


@SiggiG wrote:

Thank you - very useful.

 

When using the optical audio OUT or RCA audio OUT to connect to a Bluetooth transmitter device, is there a way to control the Lifestyle 48 such that the main zone speakers are off but the optical audio OUT or RCA audio OUT are selected? 

 

I understand that when using the headphone OUT, when plugging in a jack the main zone speakers are automatically off.

 

Thanks,

Siggi


I don't have one to try, though I would think that the audio out is unaffected by the remotes volume control. If you want the speakers muted and to be able to control the volume with the main remote you will have to use the headphone out.

SiggiG
Contributor
  • 0
  • 9
  • 0
Registered since

May 5, 2021

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48

thanks ... so, I guess there is not readily available command (or one that could be programmed - but I am not a programer) in the Lifestyle 48 remote to 'switch' from 'Bose link speakers OUT' to 'optical OUT' or 'RCA OUT' 

 

Using the 'headphone OUT' means it would always need to be done manually (ie, plugging in/out the jack into the 'headphone OUT'.

 

NeonsNight
Expert
  • 170
  • 950
  • 130
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48


@SiggiG wrote:

thanks ... so, I guess there is not readily available command (or one that could be programmed - but I am not a programer) in the Lifestyle 48 remote to 'switch' from 'Bose link speakers OUT' to 'optical OUT' or 'RCA OUT' 


There is no programming whatsoever aside from the programmers who built it over 15 years ago. Yet in your case that wouldn't be needed, because if it acts like other receivers out there, the Audio Out options are always on.

 


@SiggiG wrote:

Using the 'headphone OUT' means it would always need to be done manually (ie, plugging in/out the jack into the 'headphone OUT'.


That is correct, you plug it in and the main speakers turn off and the headphone audio turns on.

SiggiG
Contributor
  • 0
  • 9
  • 0
Registered since

May 5, 2021

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48

thank you - it is unfortunate that the system does not allow to have the Bose Link Speaker turned off when the Optical or RCA OUT are to be turned on.

 

 

NeonsNight
Expert
  • 170
  • 950
  • 130
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48


@SiggiG wrote:

thank you - it is unfortunate that the system does not allow to have the Bose Link Speaker turned off when the Optical or RCA OUT are to be turned on.


By "Bose Link Speaker" I am guessing you mean the main room, as that is what you have talked about mostly in this thread. The main room is not BoseLinked, even though they use the same pinouts, they are different as the main room supports 5.1 and BoseLink does not, aside from other differences I am sure (if anyone has a pinout of the main speaker or a link to one, please include it in the comments below). You can read about BoseLink in this PDF.

Boselink.jpg


@SiggiG wrote:

thank you - it is unfortunate that the system does not allow to have the Bose Link Speaker turned off when the Optical or RCA OUT are to be turned on.


If you are talking about the main room, then I believe it does. All you have to do is mute the main speakers or put the volume to zero. I have mentioned before that I believe this will work ("I would think that the audio out is unaffected by the remotes volume control" "if it acts like other receivers out there, the Audio Out options are always on.") 🤷‍♂️

 

Hope that helps 🙂

SiggiG
Contributor
  • 0
  • 9
  • 0
Registered since

May 5, 2021

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48

Thank you ... I had mixed this up and, yes, I was trying to understand whether, if I muted the main speakers, whether this would mute or not the audio OUT (via the optical audio OUT, the digital audio OUT or RCA audio OUT).

 

As per your comment, I understand that you think it likely would not mute such that audio through these OUTs would still work.

 

Also, from your response it seems that likely I could not separately control the volume for the audio OUT (via the optical audio OUT, the digital audio OUT or RCA audio OUT) through the Lifestyle 48 controls, or?

 

Then, if I managed to convert the optical audio OUT, the digital audio OUT or RCA audio OUT to Bluetooth (using an available converter), then likely I will be able to have the audio come to the Bluetooth device (eg, headphone, other speakers) and then control volume directly through the Bluetooth device. 

NeonsNight
Expert
  • 170
  • 950
  • 130
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Optical Digital OUT Lifestyle 48


@SiggiG wrote:

Thank you ... I had mixed this up and, yes, I was trying to understand whether, if I muted the main speakers, whether this would mute or not the audio OUT (via the optical audio OUT, the digital audio OUT or RCA audio OUT).

 

As per your comment, I understand that you think it likely would not mute such that audio through these OUTs would still work.

 

Also, from your response it seems that likely I could not separately control the volume for the audio OUT (via the optical audio OUT, the digital audio OUT or RCA audio OUT) through the Lifestyle 48 controls, or?


Yes, I am basing this on the belief that these are fixed audio outs as they are more common on receivers audio outputs. There is always the chance that they are variable volume outs, but I do not believe this is the case. As I do not have one to test out, you will have to verify this to be 100% sure. Typically a "headphone out" is the one that mutes the main speakers and uses variable volume out so your remote can control the volume to the wired headphones

 


@SiggiG wrote:

Then, if I managed to convert the optical audio OUT, the digital audio OUT or RCA audio OUT to Bluetooth (using an available converter), then likely I will be able to have the audio come to the Bluetooth device (eg, headphone, other speakers) and then control volume directly through the Bluetooth device. 


If they are fixed audio outs as I expect them to be, then whatever is connected to them would need to be able to adjust the volume. Bluetooth headphones & Bluetooth speakers should have some way to adjust their own volume independent of the transmitter, though you might even find a transmitter with its own volume control.

 

I found this one that has volume controls on the device and includes a Digital Coax, Digital Optical, & RCA input.

Bluetooth Transmitter Optical Coax & RCA.jpg

Bluetooth Transmitter with Optical, Coax, & RCABluetooth Transmitter with Optical, Coax, & RCA

There are many options out there, just remember to look for a Bluetooth Transmitter and purchase it from a place you can return it if this does not work to your liking. 

 

I hope that this helps solve your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂