Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2020

Remote partially works

I have a Bose Series 3,  3-2-1 System hooked up to our TV. Never have had a problem. Last night we could not turn on the system using  the Remote On-Off  button.  after some trouble shooting we can turn it on using the TV button but once on neither button will turn the system off.  you have to turn it off at the Media Center. it appears all the other operations on the remote are functioning.

Is this something that we can reset or is the remote shot?  

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Chris

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Remote partially works

Hey Cack, 

Sorry to hear that your power button is not working. You have come to the right place. Let's start with a simple reset of the system to see if we can get this fixed. We can do this by: 

1. Power off your system.
  2. Unplug the power cord from the Acoustimass bass module for 30 seconds.
  3. Wait for Bose 321 to appear and then disappear from the system console display.#

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2020

Hi Vicky,

Tried it several times, no good. do you think it could be the remote ?

Cack

Highlighted

Thanks for the update Cack!

As the reset hasn't done the trick it may well be the remote but we can test this before going down that route.

As the remote is an IR remote, we can test whether it is sending a signal to the console when you press the power button. To do this you would need to use the front-facing camera on a smartphone or tablet as most of these can detect IR light. 

If you open the front-facing camera on your device, point the remote at the camera and press some buttons. It will show a light at the front of the remote if it is sending a signal. 

I'd recommend testing some buttons you know do work as well as the power button to confirm this. If none of the buttons show a light it might be the camera you are using can block IR light.

Let me know how this test goes!

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2020

the remote buttons work i.e. am/fm/ cable/sat  mute. the on/off dosen't work at all the TV button will turn it on but not off. It must be turned off at the box.

I really appreciate your help, this is quite confusing.

Chris 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey Cack, thanks for your message. As noted by Keith above, we are able to test if there's a physical fault with single buttons.

When each button is pressed on the remote, an IR signal is sent from the remote. We can visually see if a signal is being sent by using a cell phone's front-facing camera. Are you able to try this out for us? 

Grab your remote, and grab your cell phone, launching the front-facing camera. If you point the remote directly at the camera and press the "AM/FM" button, you will see a light flash on the screen. This is the IR signal being sent. As we know that this button works correctly, we should successfully see the light on the screen.

Next, press the "Power" button. Do you still see the flashing light on your cell phone's screen through the camera? If not, then there is a physical fault with the remote. If the light does flash, then the remote is still operating correctly. Let us know how you get on, or if you experience any difficulties with this at all.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2020

Andy,

Based on following your test instructions the TV button will turn on but not off. The power button will not work at all. The other buttons will flash on the cell phone. As you stated it is most likely the remote.

I want to thank you all for your help in resolving this.

What is the process to purchase a new one?

Happy 4th stay healthy and Safe,

Chris Ackley

Highlighted

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear this persists! 

If you wish to look into purchasing a new remote control, please reach out to your local product support team. You can reach out to your local support team via clicking this link and selecting your region, this .... Please scroll to the bottom of the website and there you will find a 'Contact Us' tab, this will provide you with all the relevant contact information for your country. Do note, if you are going through Facebook or Twitter, our agents cannot process any payment transactions. 

Have a great day, and stay safe also 😊 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2020

Tegan,

Thank you I shall do that thank you all for your prompt help,. It is truly appreciated,

Chris Ackley