Replace lifestyle 600 speakers with omnijewels?

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

Replace lifestyle 600 speakers with omnijewels?

So my lifestyle 600 jewel cube speakers got torn off the wall because of some obnoxious kids playing and need to get replacements.  The console is fine, and I know I can order replacement jewel cube speakers from Bose parts.  

However, I was wondering what if I ordered omnijewel speakers instead with the cables needed?  Bose parts said I could order spare omnijewels if I wanted.  Some Bose store reps tell me it can work because the consoles are interchangeable between LS 600 and 650.

has anyone tried this replacing the jewel cubes with omnijewels?  Since I’m already shelling out $700 for the replacement jewel cubes, thinking about just going all the way and getting them as omnijewels and essentially upgrade my system to a LS650?

7 REPLIES 7
Friendly Fanatic

Re: Replace lifestyle 600 speakers with omnijewels?

You are correct in that the only difference between the LS600 & LS650 is the speakers.  They are interchangeable and the only thing that designates the system as a 600 or 650 at Bose is the model of speakers that it shipped with.

Hello Matrixstar2020,

I am sorry to hear that happened to your Jewel Cubes. Unfortunately, the two consoles are not interchangeable. Though the consoles are largely identical, the radically different design of the Omni-Jewel speakers requires different Digital Signal Processing (DSP). This is not something that can be changed with different firmware as they come from the factory set specifically for the intended speaker package. I know this isn't the news you were looking for, but I hope it helps! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Friendly Fanatic

Well it's certainly not the news I was looking for!

When receiving a THIRD replacement console from Bose I queried this as I bought a LS650 but received a replacement 600 console from Bose support (after first receiving the wrong US model then a further faulty replacement from Bose York) and was told taht they are identical bar the speaker package.

How do I tell definitively confirm what model I have been sent by Bose?

Hello JB1970,

I am sorry to hear about your experience!  From a function/feature standpoint, firmware, connections, etc. they are identical. The difference is somewhat nuanced and not easy to know so I hope you'll forgive the error. If you receive the wrong console you should know quickly as it will not sound good. Other than that, run ADAPTiQ. The process will not complete if you are not using the speaker package the DSP is expecting to see. Also the system setup information will refer to the wrong information that will not match what you have. I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Greg

Friendly Fanatic

Thanks Greg

ADAPTIQ ran normally.  I had so many issues when I bought my 650 that I've lost track of which console I have now.

- First one - bass was apalling, replaced after a lot of hassle

- replacement was black instead of white and when powered up found to be the US instead of UK version

- 100 mile round trip to Bose York to replace this after discussions with support

- replacement from York was found immediately faulty - no output to rear speakers (this may have been the LS600 that support told me was interchangeable)

- Bose York then had to send one of the assistants with a replacement same day which is what I'm using now.

So clearly I'm concerned! Are you able to trace from the console serial number?

Hello JB1970,

I am really very sorry to hear about all your difficulties! The serial number should indicate which version, however the surefire test is the ADAPTiQ. It sounds like you have a compatible console. I'd be happy to run the serial number for you though, if you'd like. Just confirm and I'll send you a PM to get your serial number.

Best Regards,

Greg 

Friendly Fanatic

Greg

Yes please - PM me and I'll give you SN