wkracke
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 1, 2020

Roku 3 cannot be controlled by Soundbar 500 universal remote

I setup the Roku 3 sing the Bose app and during the setup it does not bring up the home screen on the automatic tries.  I enter the model (4230X) and it seems to indicate that everything is connected. Try to control the Roku with the universal remote and nothing happens. Starting to look like the Universal Remote is only "universal" when all system components are not older than 2-3 years.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Roku 3 cannot be controlled by Soundbar 500 universal remote

Hi @wkracke,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I apologize for any trouble you've run into so far attempting to set up control for your Roku 3 system - I'll be happy to look into things to find a resolution for you.

One reason the remote might have difficulty communicating with your Roku is possible due to signal interference. Where do you have the soundbar placed in relation to the Roku? Are there any physical barriers surrounding the soundbar that may possibly have an effect on the IR signal coming from the soundbar?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Sam F - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
wkracke
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 1, 2020

The Roku 3 is not controlled by an IR signal.  The Roku remote is EM, a "point anywhere" remote.  Do not know frequency band.

Highlighted

Hi Wracke,

Thank you for letting us know that information, it might explain why the remote is unable to control your device.

The universal remote for the Soundbar 500 is only able to control devices that accept an IR signal. From the research I have been doing, it does seem that while the remote you have is a point anywhere remote, some Roku devices do support an IR signal for remote controls.

From what I can find, most Roku boxes support IR control, whereas the sticks tend not to. It would be a good idea to contact Roku to find out for certain if your device does or not. If it does support IR control, then if you can get a line of sight from the soundbar's IR emitter to the Roku, it should work. The IR emitter on the Soundbar 500 is on the left-hand side of the soundbar.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.