Highlighted
phaidros
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

RoomMate silent when on Link with signal from Aux

Hi, community!

I have a RoomMate speaker connected via Link to the Media Center of a Lifestyle 38. Everything seemed to work fine, until I tried to listen to a source connected to the Aux port. Although this basically works great, the speaker remains silent when connected to the Link cable at the same time, even, when the Media Center does not send a signal or is off. I seem to have to disconnect the link cable to listen to the signal from Aux.

Am I missing something?

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: RoomMate silent when on Link with signal from Aux

Author Accepted Answer selected by phaidros

Hi Phaidros, 

Thank you so much for coming back to me! I do apologize for the delay in my response. I wanted to make sure that I fully understood your set up and double-check with a college to make sure what I thought was correct.

Firstly, your logic is sound in regards to how the system should behave. The issue being is that I believe you will still need a remote control to hop between you BoseLink Multi-room and your AUX source. Which is why I think you are getting no audio. 

Secondly, I believe you may be using an incorrect cable. Both of your BoseLink cables need to be BoseLink A in your Setup. I have included an image below to help. 

I hope this helps Phaidros. Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

11 REPLIES 11

Hi Phaidros, 

thanks for reaching out to us at the Community! Welcome! 

This does seem like an odd issue you are experiencing, but not to worry, I'm sure we can get you up and running! 

To give the most accurate advice, could you clarify the following:

- Are you using the Aux port on your RoomMate or the LifeStyle Media console?

- Do you use a Remote control to control your expansion/ RoomMate?

- Do you have any other expansion products in your setup? 

- Have you been able to get this working in the past? Has it just happened overnight?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

phaidros
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

Hi Jessie!

Thank you very much for bothering!

The configuration looks like this:

Room 0:
  +------------+
  |            |    +---+
  |  AV38 MC   +----+AL8|
  |            |    +--++
  +------------+     ⋮ |
                     ⋮ |
Room 1:              ⋮ |
                     ⋮ |
                     ⋮ |    +----------+
                     ⋮ +----+RoomMate A|
                     ⋮      +----------+
                     ⋮
                   +---+    +----------+
                   |AR1+----+RoomMate B|
                   +---+    +----------+

As to your questions:

• The speaker in question is RoomMate A in room 1, connected to the MC with a Bose Link B cable. This is, where I want to use the Aux port (which works like clockwork when I unplug the Link cable).
  • I use the RC of the Media Center itself, which I have to set to ›Room 1‹ with the DIP-switches inside, for that matter (I don't have a working RC for the expansion rooms yet, but it's on its way).
  • Apart from the 2 RoomMates there also is a Wave Music System, but it is not connected yet. (Another AirLink is planned).
  • The whole expansion-part is ›new‹; until now I used the Lifestyle system stand-alone, so, no, this has not occured in the past.

What else can I provide?

Best regards

Hi Phaidros, 

Thank you so much for your detailed plan for your setup. This is truly helpful especially the image! 

I think I have enough information at the moment to get us started! 

What I propose is to try swapping the two RoomMate's. This should help us figure out if you are experiencing an issue with the RoomMate or the setup. Try with RoomMate A and RoomMate B. I hope this makes sense! 

Can you also tell me if everything else works as you would expect it to with the setup? 

I'll be really interested to find out how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O

phaidros
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

Thanks, Jessie!

Please give me a couple of days, so I can (re)read the manuals and see if I've overlooked something and set up an experiment or two.

Kind regards

Hi Phaidros, 

Thank you for following up. 

No problem at all, take your time! I would much rather we take our time and get it right than spending our time chasing tails! 

If you need me you know where to find me! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

phaidros
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

Hi again, Jessie!

Ok, I'm through, please find below what I've tried. But first of all, some info that might be missing:
The cables between MC and AL8 as well as between AR1 and Roommate B are Link A, the cable between AR8 and RoomMate A is a Link B cable. (So the sketch above is right, but the text there might be somewhat misleading.)

Here's what I think should happen (please correct me, if I'm wrong – maybe I'm hunting a ghost):

When the entire MC or the stream for room 1, respectively, is off, the RoomMate should play the signal from its AUX-port – provided there is any. When the speaker receives a stream for its room from its Bose Link port, it should play it, regardless of whether something is plugged into the AUX-port or if that's on or not.

And this is what I've done:

Preparation:
a) In the System Menu verified that in the Audio section the ›Expansion protocol‹ is set to ›Bose link‹
Left System Menu

b)

• Pressed ›All off‹ on MC
  • Waited til 'storing' finished
  • Unplugged MC & Acoustimass module from wall power for a couple of minutes.
  • Set RoomMates A & B to room 1
  • Connected RoomMates A & B to respective Bose Link cables, unplugged Auxs
  • Powered AL8, AR1 and RoomMates A & B (see sketch in above message)
  • Set RC of MC to room 1 via DIP-switches inside.

I. RoomMate A:

a)

• Unplugged Bose Link, plugged device into Aux. Device inactive.
  • Activated device. RoomMate A started to play immediately.
  • The very moment I plug in the Link, the RoomMate goes silent. (After a second or so.)
  • Plugged in Bose Link, RoomMate went silent. (<= I think this should not happen.)
  • Removed Link, the RoomMate started again.

b)

• Plugged in Link again, RoomMate went silent again
  • Selected FM on the RC
  • RoomMates A & B start playing immediately, MC displays ›Other rooms on‹. (Ok so far – wording may differ for my system is in German)
  • But only for a second or two and then immediately changes to ›Switching off – please wait‹ followed by ›storing‹ and eventually goes dark; RoomMates go silent. This happens with FM- as well as CBL/SAT-sources.

II. RoomMate B

Repeated steps ›Preparation b)‹ and I.
Exactly Same behaviour.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also strange:
RoomMate A in room 0, RoomMate B & RC room 1: select FM source, RoomMate B remains on.
RoomMate A & RC in room 1, RoomMate B room 0: select FM source, RoomMate A remains on.
However, this was found out »by accident«.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

III. MC

• ›All off‹
  • Set RoomMates A & B as well as RC to room 0.
  • Select FM source
    Main room comes up, RoomMates remain silent (RoomMate A: Aux open, RoomMate B: radio plugged into Aux)

In III., I thought the RoomMates were to come up together with the MC.

Does that make any sense?

Cheers
Matthew

Author Accepted Answer selected by phaidros

Hi Phaidros, 

Thank you so much for coming back to me! I do apologize for the delay in my response. I wanted to make sure that I fully understood your set up and double-check with a college to make sure what I thought was correct.

Firstly, your logic is sound in regards to how the system should behave. The issue being is that I believe you will still need a remote control to hop between you BoseLink Multi-room and your AUX source. Which is why I think you are getting no audio. 

Secondly, I believe you may be using an incorrect cable. Both of your BoseLink cables need to be BoseLink A in your Setup. I have included an image below to help. 

I hope this helps Phaidros. Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

phaidros
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 13, 2019

Jessie,

thanks a lot and never mind! That sounds reassuring.

The next step will be to replace the Link B cable with an AR1 + Link A cable. When this has happened and the RC has arrived, I'll let you know any changes.

Just allow me one question: would pressing ›AUX‹ on the remote control not mean that I choose the AUX port on the MC to be streamed to the RoomMate? Anyway, I'll try and let you know as soon as the RC arrives.

Once more many thanks and

regards
Matthew

Hey Matthew, 

Thanks for coming back to me! 

You're correct in regards to the remote, it should work as long as you are on the correct Room Code. My fear is that by plugging in the BoseLink cable it is defaulting to that source without going back to the Aux source, especially if it still plays when you unplug the cable. 

Let me know how the replacement cable goes! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O