SOUNDBAR 500 nightmare.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

SOUNDBAR 500 nightmare.

Bought a full 500 system today (soundbar, bass, two surround speakers.)

I've just had a four hour nightmare. The instructions basically amount to "plug it in and download the app". Great, downloaded the app. Pushed "Connect Product". Nothing. Recognizes no products. Yes, unplugged soundbar and plugged it back in. Nothing. Standing 5 feet from the thing. Tried everything I could think of. 

Then go to Account Settings in the app and click on my profile (it recognizes my name) ... but clicking on the profile pops up a screen that asks for my email, first name, and last name - which is really bizarre because to get to that screen I clicked on a link that actually was my first and last name. But I entered it, and I get a screen back saying "Unauthorized user" in red. 

I'm sorry, but What. The. F***. I just paid well over a grand for a home theatre, virtually all of whose functions require an app to work, except the freaking app refuses to recognize the soundbar, and apparently doesn't even recognize me. Or, well it does, but I'm "unauthorized"? Why? I just created the account when I downloaded that app this afternoon.

I went with Bose because I've had its products in the past and the sound quality has always been good - good bang for the buck. But I'm seriously pissed right now. I'm going to have to pack everything back up and lug it back to Best Buy tomorrow. And every internet review site I can find, including Amazon, is going to get an honest description of my afternoon. 

12 REPLIES 12
Noisy Narrator

Re: SOUNDBAR 500 nightmare.

Are your phone and Bose on the same frequency connection with your router, either 2.4 or 5.0?

Quiet Contributor

I have no clue what frequency the Bose is on. It is just a black bar with no feedback. I look on my router management screen, and it shows no connection with any Bose device. And this isn't my network ... signal is strong all over my house (have boosters installed.) Easily connected to both a Nakamichi and a Vizio soundbar (in other rooms.) 

Hello Jrc, 

Thanks for reaching out via the Bose Community. 

I am sorry to hear you are having an issue with setting up your Soundbar 500. I'd be happy to assist. 

If you haven't already, take a look at this page for general setup instructions.

Can you please confirm the following information with regards to your setup. 

-  Are you using an iPhone or Android device for setup?

-  When signing in, did you try selecting the forgotten password option to reset the pass? 

-  Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app?
- Is your smartphone connected to the same network you wish to use the speaker on? 

Alternatively, if you wish to go through full setup support with a member of our phone team, please feel free to reach out via the contact page on the Bose website. Details for your country can be found here.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

Have already read through (and followed) all the setup instructions. Soundbar is plugged in, attached to TV with HDMI cable (sound does come out.) 

I have reset my Bose password, didn't help me connect to the Soundbar though.

Using Samsung S10+ android phone, fully updated. 

Phone is connected to the network I'd use the Soundbar on. 

Hi Jrc, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. I am sorry to hear that the resets did not resolve this issue for you.

I would recommend that you attempt to set the Soundbar 700 up via the Alternate Set Up method via this link here. 

Please update us on the result of this and if any other community members are also having this issue please do let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Quiet Contributor

It is a Soundbar 500, not 700. The instructions are useless - I'm supposed to press the SoundTouch button on the remote, then press and hold "9" until lights start flashing. THERE IS NO FREAKING 9 ON THE REMOTE. It only has number 1 - 6.

God this is beyond irritating.

Hi Jrc, 

Thanks for updating me on this! Sorry for the confusion, you can find the correct link here. 

Please update me on the result of this.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B  

Quiet Contributor

So ... this worked, but didn't. Successfully Got the Sounbar connected to my home network (the one my phone is on), but STILL can't connect my phone to the Soundbar. I open Bose Music app, hit "Connect Product", it looks, and finds nothing. Pretty much exacvtly the same thing that has always happened.

Hi Jrc, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. I am sorry to hear that your issue still persists. 

Are you able to connect to the Soundbar via Bluetooth? Also do you have another device that you can attempt the set up on? 

I look forward to your reply. 

Kind Regards. 

Hector B