Nem
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2018

Solo 5 Volume Control from TV

Hi

Have a Samsung TV with Sky+ on HDMI, we only use the Sky remote for everything, turning the TV and Sky box on an off but also the volume on the TV from the volume +/- on the Sky remote.

We had an LG soundbar which was connected via optical connection and after selecting the optical speaker output on the TV we were still able to control the volume on the soundbar via the TV with the sky remote as expected.

Replaced the LG bar with the Solo 5 still on the same optical connection but now we cannot adjust the volume with thr Sky remote at all, or the TV remote.

Quite simply cannt stand having to remember which remote to find just to be able to control the volume when we used to be able to do this perfectly well.

Any help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hector_B

Re: Solo 5 Volume Control from TV

Author Accepted Answer selected by Liam_W

Hi Spencer, 

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community. 

You won't be able to control the Solo 5 with the Samsung remote as it is not ARC enabled. This will be because the Solo 5 does not feature a HDMI port. 

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Joel_D
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Nem,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community.

I can certainly understand it's frustrating dealing with several remotes, but I'd like to help.

What model Sky+ box and remote do you have? Maybe we can control the Bose Solo from that remote if it's a universal one.

Let me know the results.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Spencer
Participant
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Hello,
I have recently purchased a Samsung 7 Series UHD TV and a Bose Solo TV Speaker. I have connected it to the optical plug in. I would like to control the volume for Bose with the Samsung TV remote that came with the TV. Would you please be able to provide insight as to how to get the TV remote to connect to the Bose speaker?
Thanks,
Hector_B

Author Accepted Answer selected by Liam_W

Hi Spencer, 

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community. 

You won't be able to control the Solo 5 with the Samsung remote as it is not ARC enabled. This will be because the Solo 5 does not feature a HDMI port. 

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

ben_10
Participant
Registered since

Jan 2, 2020

I didn't understand. Isn't ARC just for HDMIs. My Vizio SB3621N-E8M soundbar also doesn't have HDMI port. I connected to the TV with Optical and it perfectly works with TV remotes.  Could you explain a little bit more details about why Bose solo 5 doesn't support volume control with TV remotes?

Davebreak
Participant
Registered since

Apr 8, 2020

What a pain. My old sound bar was able to use the tv remote for volume.  Don’t think I can  recommend the bose 5 over this. . 

pingp
Participant
Registered since

Jul 28, 2020

If I purchase an optical to HDMI converter will the samsung smart remote control the soundbar

Vicky_W

@pingp, I am sorry but we cannot recommend this as it will be a third party device, so we cannot guarantee compatibility. 

jaccovangelder@gmail.com
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Hi, did you find a solution for this? I believe you are correct, optical should support same as HDMI Arc and control volume with the Samsung tv remote.  

@bose - please advise?

AlabamaTick
Participant
Registered since

Apr 5, 2021

Connect Bose 5 to Samsung TV via optical cable, NO HDMI CABLE IS NEEDED.  On Samsung One Remote..... hit home and scroll to SOURCE.  Then scroll to universal remote. Select New Device. Then Home Theater. Then select Bose. A power test will come up. Highlight the power test and hit the center button on your Samsung remote. If the sound stops, it worked on the first try, hit yes.  If the sound is still going it didnt work on the first try, Hit NO and try again. It took me 2 tries. Now my Samsung remote controls my Bose solo 5 with no HDMI cord connected, only a optical cable.