Ludakit
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

SoundTouch 300 only stereo

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so forgive me if I give too little or too much info.

I have a ST300 with the Acoustimass 300 and the surround speakers. Everything was working perfectly until we had our living room painted and had the speakers unplugged for over 24 hrs

After plugging it back in, the ST300 updated its software and even though it recognizes the surround speakers, it plays as if it only knows left/right/center channels.

I’ve used YouTube to test the 5.1 and the same sounds come out of front and back channels on the left and right side, and it won’t even register the sub when it plays the LFE channel.

I’ve unplugged and plugged everything back in, I’ve done ST + 7 on the remote reconnecting and absolutely nothing is working.

Am I the only one to ever have this problem? I can’t find anything where it recognizes the other speakers, but won’t play their channels correctly.

I’m using an optical cable and I’ve confirmed that the tv is sending the signal same as it did before. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ludakit
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Re: SoundTouch 300 only stereo

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Liam_W
Good morning, all.

I just wanted to update this to not only thank you for your help, but also post something that may be helpful to others.

The reset/log in solution worked. I basically took the settings back to the factory settings but it’s important to note that you CAN NOT UNDO A SOFTWARE UPDATE. A factory update only resets the settings.

So, long story short, that worked, but testing it is the hardest part. YouTube recently went to a stereo format but Netflix offers a test pattern that you can use to test it.

Just log into your Netflix account and search for “test.” It’ll be somewhere around the fourth or fifth result. Here’s a link to it on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80018499

Thanks for all your help and I hope this helps others as well.
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Hi @Ludakit , and welcome to the Community!

There's no need to worry about the information you've provided, and it's great to see that you've already looked into more detail as to what might have caused this.

In this instance, can I ask that you check the following for me please?

1) Please double check on the receiver boxes that these are set to L and R respectively, and that they have not both been set to the same channel by accident!

As you are facing the TV/Soundbar from where you are sat, the one to your left should be L, and the one to the right should be R.

2) When you say that this recognises the rear speakers, I presume that this is displaying a solid white LED on both receiver boxes, as well as the Acoustimass 300 Bass Module. (If this is not the case, please let me know.) If so, please perform the factory reset to the Soundbar, then pair these back up.

Before performing the factory reset, disconnect all the accessory speakers (Surround Speakers and Acoustimass 300 Bass Module) from power. We can connect these back up later.

The factory reset can be performed by first pressing the SoundTouch button on the remote control (directly below "Source power"), then pressing and holding the "Teletext" button (to the right of the CC button on the remote) for 10 seconds until the Wi-Fi, TV, SoundTouch and Bluetooth indicators blink white on the soundbar.

This will reset the Soundbar, which takes roughly 1-3 minutes. When reset, the Wi-Fi indicator on the far Left will glow solid amber.

When reset, please perform the connection method using ST and 7 as you have before until the connectivity indicator on the soundbar blinks white. Then connect up both surround speakers to power, and confirm that these connect. Once connected, repeat the ST and 7 process but with the Acoustimass 300 Bass Module instead so that this is paired up as well, then test this audio again!

3) Please also check that you have the source audio set to 5.1 Surround Sound, and that this is not set to something with less channels, such as stereo/mono sound as this would limit what you hear from these speakers!

I would ask that you get back to me when you have an opportunity to do so to let me know how the above goes!

Liam W - Community Support

Ludakit
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Liam,

Unfortunately, this didn’t help. I’m still having the same issue where it sounds as if the rear surround speakers are being treated like extensions of the front speakers, rather than their own dedicated channels.

I’ve also confirmed the source of the sound is putting out 5.1 sound, but it still comes through all speakers like 2.1, or maybe even close to stereo, since it also doesn’t recognize the LFE channel.

I’m going to call Bose support and see if there’s something I’m missing. If I can find it, I’ll reply back. Also, if you have any ideas in the meantime, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks for your help.
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

A few more things you could try:

Log out of your SoundTouch account then log back in.

Reset your TV

Disconnect and reconnect your optical cable

Make sure your TV’s optical output is set to 5.1

Find and use a source like Netflix to ensure DD 5.1.

Ludakit
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Hey everybody. Thanks for trying to help.

I was on the phone with Bose yesterday and I think we got to the root of the problem. There was a software update that got applied a few days ago and we’ve had these problems ever since.

So, I ran a factory reset and it runs through the process, but it doesn’t finish with a solid WiFi light glowing amber. It ends with the simultaneous blinking of the WiFi and SoundTouch light blinking amber and then it shuts off and just sits there.

I’ve got to believe that at this point it’s a software issue. If I can start from zero and then go from there, I think I can fix it, but any ideas why the factory reset isn’t working?

I have also unplugged everything but the power cord and did the reset, then pulled the power cord and plugged it back in and did the reset. All with the same problems.
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Try logging out of your account then log back in after the update and reset.
Ludakit
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Liam_W
Good morning, all.

I just wanted to update this to not only thank you for your help, but also post something that may be helpful to others.

The reset/log in solution worked. I basically took the settings back to the factory settings but it’s important to note that you CAN NOT UNDO A SOFTWARE UPDATE. A factory update only resets the settings.

So, long story short, that worked, but testing it is the hardest part. YouTube recently went to a stereo format but Netflix offers a test pattern that you can use to test it.

Just log into your Netflix account and search for “test.” It’ll be somewhere around the fourth or fifth result. Here’s a link to it on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80018499

Thanks for all your help and I hope this helps others as well.
eagleeye1102
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 1, 2019

Are you sure it has been resolved? I was also in the same situation as yours and was desperately searching for the solution. I tried all your steps and it seems like it still don’t work. I am checking Dolby app on my lg oled tv and I confim I am not getting surround effects like I used to get before. 

Eaglehawk
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 19, 2016

I've got an LG E6 Oled and I've done everything above too. Still no LFE sound on any of the tests.

Hello Eaglehawk & eagleeye1102,

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to hear that you are both experiencing difficulty with your SoundTouch 300. I would be more than happy to help you further with this, could you please tell me what sources you are using when this issue occurs? Are you getting sound from just one speaker or is it just the left or just the right? Have you checked the settings on the TV are set to output 5.1 not stereo?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C