Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 28, 2020

SoundTouch 520 connecting 4k

I have a SoundTouch 520 and a Sony Bravia tv with sky q. What is the best way to connect these to achieve 4K picture and the best sound.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: SoundTouch 520 connecting 4k

Hi Tallpaul,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community!

As the control console for the SoundTouch 520 can support 4K video passthrough you have a couple of options on how to set this up. You won't see a difference in the picture or audio quality with these different setups, so which is right for you will be down to what is easier to achieve in your setup.

The first option, and how the console is designed to work, would be to connect the SkyQ box to one of the HDMI inputs on the back of the console and have the console connect to your TV via HDMI as well. With this setup, the SkyQ box will send the audio and video information to the console, which then passes just the video on to the TV.

The second option would be to connect the SkyQ box directly to your TV and have just the TV connected to your console. With this setup, the SkyQ box will send the audio and video information to your TV which will then pass just the audio on to the TV.

Let me know how you get on with your new set up!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 28, 2020

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply

At the moment I have the sky q box connected to the console via hdmi (Input cbl sat). Then from the console (output tv) to the hdmi 1 on the tv via hdmi cable. Which I believe is your option 1. But when I try and select UHD on the sky q menu I get a message saying ”this input on your tv doesn’t support ultra HD”. Do I need to use another input? If so which do you recommend?

Thanks

Paul

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @Tallpaul,

Thanks for getting back to us. Yes - sounds like you've currently got the systems currently connected in the first option. I've had a look on Sky's website to try and locate some more information on the audio/video formats used, but unable to find anything too specific. At the bottom line, however, if the Sky box is presenting a message saying that the input doesn't meet the requirements to utilize the ultra HD formats, we'll have to connect the Sky box directly to your TV's HDMI inputs.

We can certainly still enjoy all of the audio - this will then be output to the Lifestyle's console for playback. Let us know how you find this.

Andy

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.