Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Soundtouch 520 owner
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2020

SoundTouch 520 surround level unavailable

Hey,

I recently upgraded my Bose lifestyle T20, to a SoundTouch 520. And I’m having an issue with adjusting the surround level with the rears. Under the title “Surround Level”, it states, “Unavailable”, but yet there is dialogue sound playing through the rears. 

The sound input is from the TV running ARC, Dolby Digital 5.1. 

I’m tech savvy, but this issue has me stumped. 

if you could help, it would be most appreciated! 

Cheers! 

7 REPLIES 7
Soundtouch 520 owner
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2020

Re: SoundTouch 520 surround level unavailable

53495DBD-476D-434F-B160-3E91D3F1BF6B.jpeg

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Soundtouch 520 owner wrote:

Hey,

I recently upgraded my Bose lifestyle T20, to a SoundTouch 520. And I’m having an issue with adjusting the surround level with the rears. Under the title “Surround Level”, it states, “Unavailable”, but yet there is dialogue sound playing through the rears. 

The sound input is from the TV running ARC, Dolby Digital 5.1. 

I’m tech savvy, but this issue has me stumped. 

if you could help, it would be most appreciated! 

Cheers! 

Did you purchase a second-hand receiver? If so it might be good to see which model you purchased. Can you share a photo of the underside with the receivers model label on it?

Soundtouch 520 owner
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2020

Hi NeonsNight, 

Here is a photo as requested. 

image.jpg

Soundtouch 520 owner
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2020

I think I’ve just answered my own question. I typed in the AV120 serial number and it came up with the SoundTouch 120. I think I’ve been dudded. 

E08BD64F-C71F-4A4E-AC86-884DE731B606.jpeg

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Hi NeonsNight, 

Here is a photo as requested. 

image.jpg

I think I’ve just answered my own question. I typed in the AV120 serial number and it came up with the SoundTouch 120. I think I’ve been dudded. 

E08BD64F-C71F-4A4E-AC86-884DE731B606.jpeg

Yes, sorry that is not the correct receiver to give you 5.1. I list the two Cinemate/SoundTouch 520 receivers that can give you 5.1 in this post.

Soundtouch 520 owner
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2020

Thanks very much for your help. I looked around for a second hand AV 520 in Australia, without any luck. I might part it out on eBay and recoup some money at least. 

thanks again for all your help! 

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Thanks very much for your help. I looked around for a second hand AV 520 in Australia, without any luck. I might part it out on eBay and recoup some money at least. 

thanks again for all your help! 

It might be best to keep your AV20 and use one of the solutions found in this guide to use it with modern 4K TV's. As the Model 414642 receiver does not support the current version of 4K without some assistance and the 520's wireless bass isn't as good as the Lifestyles one. In addition, it does not support Dolby Digital Plus or DolbyTrue HD 🤷‍♂️