Peteremc
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2021

Soundbar 500 - Alexa not setting correct location

I have set up my Soundbar 500 in Australia using the latest Bose Music app and have chosen Alexa as the voice assistant and have downloaded and set up through the latest Alexa app - on my iPhone, which, when in the house, is on the same network as my Soundbar. The Bose and Alexa apps have my correct location/home address and Alexa on my phone will give me the correct time, weather, etc., for my location.

However, Alexa on the Soundbar is not getting the location details correct and keeps giving me a current time which is about 12 hours out. I have done the complete set up of the soundbar, then deleted both apps, shut down the phone and the soundbar, restarted and then and repeated the entire set up, but with no change.

So, Alexa on my phone has correct location and reads it as correct location. Alexa on the Soundbar  does not have my correct location and if anyone knows how to get it to pick up and use my correct location I would be greatly appreciative of your advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_L

Re: Soundbar 500 - Alexa not setting correct location

Author Accepted Answer selected by Peteremc

Hi Peteremc,

Thanks for posting and joining us in the Community!

With Alexa, you can set different locations for each device through the Alexa app, so it's possible that while your phone is set to the correct location, the soundbar has had the location set incorrectly at some point. You can change the location setting for an individual device in the Alexa app by following these steps:

1. Open the Alexa app
  2. Select Devices
  3. Select Echo & Alexa
  4. Select your device (This will be the name you gave the speaker in the Bose Music app)
  5. Select the speaker model
  6. Select Device Location.
  7. Enter your address, and then select Save

By doing this, you will be setting the location on the speaker itself rather than the apps, so will be what governs where Alexa thinks the speaker is when it responds.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Keith_L

Author Accepted Answer selected by Peteremc

Hi Peteremc,

Thanks for posting and joining us in the Community!

With Alexa, you can set different locations for each device through the Alexa app, so it's possible that while your phone is set to the correct location, the soundbar has had the location set incorrectly at some point. You can change the location setting for an individual device in the Alexa app by following these steps:

1. Open the Alexa app
  2. Select Devices
  3. Select Echo & Alexa
  4. Select your device (This will be the name you gave the speaker in the Bose Music app)
  5. Select the speaker model
  6. Select Device Location.
  7. Enter your address, and then select Save

By doing this, you will be setting the location on the speaker itself rather than the apps, so will be what governs where Alexa thinks the speaker is when it responds.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

Peteremc
Participant
Registered since

Feb 16, 2021

Brilliant, thank you. Followed your instructions and this worked instantly. I was not aware of that pathway or the need to do this. Hope this helps others on the forum.

Thanks again