Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Soundbar 500 automatically disconnects and switches back to TV speakers

My Soundbar 500 is connected to my TCL Roku TV via HDMI and will randomly drop sound and switch back to playing out of the television speaker. I'll then have to wait about a minute and either turn the Soundbar on and off again for it to reconnect or press the TV input button multiple times. Seems to me like the Soundbar is going into standby mode or something on its own? I believe its an issue with the Soundbar and not the TV because I disabled the TV's speakers and the same issue keeps happening. Any else experiencing this?

Thanks. 

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Re: Soundbar 500 automatically disconnects and switches back to TV speakers

Hello Esme,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with your Soundbar 500. I would be more than happy to help you with this today, I would recommend trying the optical connection instead to see if you still experience the same issue. 

Let me know me how you get on! 

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - community Support 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Hi Zoe, 

I'm noticing the problem isn't exclusive to the television. When I'm playing something from my phone the connectivity will randomly just drop and sound will no longer be playing through the soundbar. Any idea what the problem may be and why the sound continues to randomly drop?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi Esme, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. 

Firstly, I would recommend that you adjust the HDMI-CEC setting of the soundbar inside the Bose Music App under Settings > Power > Advanced CEC > Alternate or Off. I would also recommend that you perform a reset on both the system and the router. You can perform a reset on the Soundbar by: 

• Turn the soundbar off
  • Unplug the soundbar power cord from the power outlet
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Reconnect the power cord
  • Wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot

Please update me on the result of this and if any other members of the community have resolved a similar issue please do let us know. 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Hi Hector, I've done both these things. 

I think the Bose soundbar is losing connectivity to the wifi. Even while using the Bose app I'll lose access to the soundbar in the app. Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

My Soundbar won't even stay connected to my phone via bluetooth, the sound just dropped. I'm starting to think something is wrong with my device. What is the best way to get in touch with Bose Customer Support?

Highlighted

Hi Esme, 

Thanks for posting and updating me on this. I am very sorry that you are having this experience. 

You can reach out to our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help. I would recommend giving the team a call for the fastest response time. 

I am sorry this isn't something that I was able to help resolve via this platform and would love to hear back from you regarding the result of your call. 

Kind Regards,

Hector B 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2020

I too am having the exact problem. The sound is great and then all of a sudden it switches back to the tv.  If I wanted tv sound I would not have spent the big money on Bose. 

Has there been any updates with this?

Thank you,

Highlighted

Hi dcCanada,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are also having this issue and I would be happy to help with this.

The root cause of this in your setup, can depend on a few different things, so I do have some questions for you, so we can work out exactly what is going on together.

Do we also have the soundbar connected to the TV via HDMI - ARC? Or are we using the Optical connection?

What make (and model if you know it) of TV are we using?

If we are using HDMI as well, the first thing I would recommend we test is the HDMI CEC settings on the soundbar. On the soundbar, to do this we need to use the Bose Music app and go to Settings > Advanced CEC. It will give us the options for 'On', 'Alternate' and 'Off'. We would want to try changing between 'On' and 'Alternate' and testing to see if the issue still occurs then.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Hi dcCanada, I eventually spoke to someone on the phone at Bose customer support who suggested I send the Soundbar in for repair. They found an issue with the unit and replaced it. I suggest calling someone and doing the same. Hope this helps, happy new year.