Highlighted
jnenow
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

Soundbar 500 preventing streaming apps from working properly on Sony Bravia

I just bought a Sony Bravia 65" 4k HDR tv and the Bose Soundbar 500 system bundle both from Costo - the TV setup perfectly, but once we set up the bluetooth soundbar Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney Plus started acting up. The sound coming from Amazon was only white noise, and Disney plus wouldnt play at all. We reset the TV to factory settings and tried to set it up again testing everything before plugging in the speaker. The second we connected the soundbar Disney plus stopped working again. The tv made the sound like it was pressing play, but the app wouldnt respond. 

Why is this happening? And how is it that a bluetooth audio function is affecting a streaming app?

Please HELP.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Soundbar 500 preventing streaming apps from working properly on Sony Bravia

Hello jnenow,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble using your TV's inbuilt apps with your new Soundbar.This certainly is an unusual issue as I do not know why the soundbar would be interfering with the use of the apps in this way. 

If I have understood correctly it does sound like we have the soundbar connected to the TV via Bluetooth currently. If that is correct we do not recommend using Bluetooth to connect to your TV  and would instead recommend using HDMI ARC or Optical connection to do so. This is because the audio quality being streamed over Bluetooth will not be as high as what either of the cabled connections can provide.

It is then possible that when using a Bluetooth connection, the TV is trying to play an unsupported audio format for Bluetooth which is stopping us from being able to play the videos correctly. As such I would highly recommend connecting the soundbar to your TV through HDMI ARC or Optical and see if we are still getting the same issue.

I do believe we are unlikely to have any further issues once using a cable connection, but please do let us know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support