Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 1, 2019

Soundbar 500 stuck in update mode

New Soundbar 500 for Christmas, stuck in update mode, with the scrolling white light on the left-hand-side for 5 days now!

I have trawled the community, contacted the support and have had no success in getting a solution.  I have received very poor service via both chat and phone, needing to explain the problem again and again and being asked to try the same things again and again.  I was told I would receive a call from an engineer, but instead rceived an email asking me to do..... the same things I’d been asked to do previously.

There are several post going back months on this issue, but the support team seem to be completely unaware of it!  And there seems to be no know solution.

If there are any solutions that don’t involve, turning it on and off again, pushing various two button combinations on the remote or deleting and reloading the app I’d love to hear!

#poorcustomerservice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Soundbar 500 stuck in update mode

Author Accepted Answer selected by Liam_W

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your systems.  There are a few steps that we can try if you haven't already:

1. Power cycle the speaker - remove power from the speaker for a full minute, then reconnect and check to see if the speaker is still stuck updating.
  2. Factory Default - Simultaneously press and hold the Volume - and AUX buttons for 10 seconds. The system will reboot into setup mode.
  3. Reboot Router - Remove power from the router for a full minute, then reconnect, wait for internet connection, then see if update is still stuck.

If previous steps do not resolve issue, contact your local support center or point of sale for a replacement system.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 2, 2019

Bought one yesterday have same issue
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 2, 2019

Same here. Just picked up my unit and having it stucked updating. No lights going in any direction but Bluetooth working in the meantime
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by Liam_W

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your systems.  There are a few steps that we can try if you haven't already:

1. Power cycle the speaker - remove power from the speaker for a full minute, then reconnect and check to see if the speaker is still stuck updating.
  2. Factory Default - Simultaneously press and hold the Volume - and AUX buttons for 10 seconds. The system will reboot into setup mode.
  3. Reboot Router - Remove power from the router for a full minute, then reconnect, wait for internet connection, then see if update is still stuck.

If previous steps do not resolve issue, contact your local support center or point of sale for a replacement system.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 13, 2019

I am so pissed off at Bose right now! I have spent over six hours of my vacation trying to set up my Bose sound bar 500 and subwoofer. The remote that you were describing is not even the same one that came with the unit. When downloading the app it says that it is updating the speaker and the white lightl simply goes from left to right… for two days now. It seems to be stuck in set up mode. I hauled this thing brand new all the way from the US to Costa Rica and the **bleep**er doesn’t work . I should have listened to everyone else and bought a Sonos. Is there a place in Costa Rica to exchange it or is it back to the US. 2 weeks vacation and no sound......ggrrrr.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hello John,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

We're sorry to see the frustration you've been having trying to get your new Soundbar 500 setup, but we'd be happy to help.

To contact your local technical support go HERE, select your region, scroll to the bottom of the page, choose "Contact Us" and a number will be displayed.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

My Bose Soundbar 500 is stuck in update mode and is being returned to the store of purchase tomorrow.  This faulty design is unacceptable and the fact that it hasn't been rectified by now is worse.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

I have kept my Soundbar 500 on update & it’s stuck in process. Even the lightbar is not animating as suggested. 

what to do??

Highlighted

Re: Sound bar 500 update

Hello Chintank,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing some update issues with your Soundbar 500. 

Could you please confirm if you have attempted any of the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2019

Re: Sound bar 500 update

Same problem Bose 500 stuck in update, taking back to shop tomorrow if it doesn’t sort it’s self out.