Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wla
Participant
Registered since

Jan 5, 2020

Re: Soundbar 500 stuck in update mode

I have to say that this is one of the most convoluted set up systems I’ve ever seen for a consumer sound system. The fact that you can’t just plug and play this thing is insanely frustrating to use even for someone who is familiar with electronics and setting up devices to work with one another. I tried to set this up for my parents and after an hour of trying to get it to connect to the app then the HDMI audio doesn’t work so I have to use optic and then The sound bar is updating for hours despite trying to solutions above. I’m going to recommend that they return this and get a different brand. 

chris22208
Participant
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

Hi all

I have the final solution. If you have tried step 1 to step 3 and it still hasn't worked, that probably means the speaker couldn't connect to WIFI so it couldn't update. In that case, you have to connect the speaker to the internet via a Ethernet cable. The speaker will automatically start updating. 

That's how I solved the problem.

I have to say, the customer service from Bose is terrible. From phone service to the quality of customer representative, you can tell they are well under trained. Every phone been transferred I have to repeat my problem over and over again. Maybe the staff turnover at Bose is high? 

And the Bose apps doesnt even work. I tried three different Bose apps trying to connect to my speaker, none of them worked. It is just terrible. 

Hello12345
Participant
Registered since

Apr 16, 2020

This is really smart how long did it take for the restart and update to go through. I’m watching my speaker. It is still doing the left to right loading bar. I’m plugged in an Ethernet cable. Patiently waiting with fingers crossed. Thanks. I will update if this works as well. 

chris22208
Participant
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

It took me about 15 - 30 minutes? Couldn't recall. Good luck 🙂

Hello12345
Participant
Registered since

Apr 16, 2020

Update: This works!

Thank you very much. 

Everyone with this issue - use this method. 

JohnB2
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2020

My speaker is nowhere near my modem for me to plug in and Ethernet cable.  Any other suggestions?

Adele Abba
Participant
Registered since

May 25, 2020

Hi.  I have also just plugged in my soundbar (in the bedroom where the modem is) and it is still running the light on the bar.  I am keen to know how long it took for the update to finish.  I am really excited about the system, the sound is fantastic, but just need to get it working!!

Vicky_W

Hey JohnB2, 

Have you tried the steps mentioned by @Brandon_M above? If so, have you tried the steps here to manually update the system?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Harneet
Participant
Registered since

Jun 4, 2020

Unfortunately none of the proposed solutions in this post worked for . I chatted with Bose SMS support over 2 days and they finally said it's a firmware issue and I have to mail it in for repair which will take approx 3 weeks. 

jjbrunix
Participant
Registered since

Jun 7, 2020

Sunday 6/7/2020 - In Aug of 2019 I purchased the Soundbar 500 with sub-woofer. This system has worked reasonably well since then - a few issues, but we have limped along. On Friday 6/5/2020 Bose attempted an update which has still not completed. This issue seems to have been posted on this forum for well over a year, but no solution from Bose - this forum has posted more information on rsoloution that Bose  & that is a shame! the product sound is great - but, when Bose issues an update which totally disables the unit - the sound is affected tremendously- very quiet!

Anyway, thank you forum for the suggestions, I have now connected soundbar via Ethernet cable - left to right light continues for over 2 hours now. Why does it take 2+ days to install a fix as identified above is beyond ridiculous. I will watch the left to right light for 2+ days and see what happens - Bose, how about a complete, concise solution? Surely Bose can do better that this!