Highlighted
Mannayr
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 22, 2019

Soundbar 500 will not turn on via HDMI ARC

I have a Soundbar 500 connected to a LG C9 TV via HDMI ARC (HDMI 2). Everything works fine at first, sound is working and I can control the volume through the TV remote. However, after watching a show on TV for a couple of hours without using the remote, if I pick up the TV remote to adjust the volume, it does not work, I have to use the Bose remote to adjust the volume. Once I use the Bose remote to adjust the volume, the TV remote then will work to adjust the volume through HDMI once again. If I don't use the remote for another couple of hours, the problem repeats. The other problem is once I turn off the TV, the soundbar goes into standby mode. After the TV is off for a while, if I turn the TV on using the TV remote, the soundbar will not play audio. I can see the white light on the soundbar lighting in response to pressing the volume buttons on the TV remote, but no sound. If I use the Bose remote and press the TV button, the sound works and everything is fine until I turn off the TV again for a few hours, the problems starts over again. It seems once the soudbar goes to sleep, the only way to get it to respond to HDMI controls it to use the Bose remote to wake it up. This is very annoying, even more so than the Alexa volume annoyance. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Soundbar 500 will not turn on via HDMI ARC

Hi Mannayr, 

Thanks for posting and reaching out to us today! I am deeply sorry to hear that you are having this experience and would love to assist you further. 

Firstly, can you please let me know what troubleshooting steps you have attempted so far so that I don't get you to repeat anything. In regards to the TV powering off and then not reconnecting when powered back on this could be down to the CEC connection between the Soundbar and the TV! 

CEC essentially allows the different devices you have connected to talk to each other over their HDMI connections. Please check your CEC settings via the Bose Music App > Settings > Power > Advanced CEC: 

• On: Enables CEC (default setting)
  • Off: Disables CEC
  • Alternate: Try this setting if you cannot control or experience unexpected control with certain devices

Please attempt On or Alternate to see if this resolves this for you and update me on the result of this. 

If anyone else is experiencing this issue that is listed above and has resolved this via an alternate method please do let Mannayr know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

Mannayr
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 22, 2019

Re: Soundbar 500 will not turn on via HDMI ARC

I tried using all of the settings related to CEC on both the soundbar and the TV for months, first with the old Samsung TV, then with the new LG OLED TV. ARC and CEC have been terribly annoying to deal with. along with the Alexa volume. Early on, I stopped using the Alexa features and just put an Echo in the living room so I could control the Alexa volume. Not to mention using Alexa with the soundbar would cause all kinds of issues with HDMI ARC. The whole time I had it connected to that Samsung TV, if the devices were even powered up in the "wrong" order, I would have to disconnect everything from power for a while and plug back in to even get HDMI ARC to work again. The LG TV handles that. better, at least the soundbar shows as an option, just getting sound to output after sleeping is still a problem. After dealing with the Alexa vloume issues, HDMI ARC, and CEC issues, I have become terribly disappointed in the quality of Bose compared to where it was in years past. My fix for this problem, turns out it fixed all of my problems with this soundbar, I bought an LG soundbar, best purchase ever. The sound quality is better and there are absolutely no problems with HDMI ARC or CEC, power and volume just work out of the box. It may not support Alexa, but technically neither did Bose since the volume issues were never addressed. But seeing as I already purchased an Echo to remedy that situation long ago, and the LG TV supports Alexa controls, and has no problem controlling the new LG soundbar through HDMI CEC, I am good to go!