Highlighted
rajatxjain
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 19, 2019

Soundbar 700 5.1 system - sound processing options?

Hi,

I'm planning to buy Soundbar 700, Sub 700, Sourround 700 speakers to create my Home Theater experience.

I wanted to understand how would the surround speakers behave if I mostly play content from youtube over bluetooth (i.e. stereo audio). Will the rear surround speakers stay silent in this mode and ound will only come from soundbar and SUB? 

Or can the soundbar 700 do the sound processing such that the stereo input is actually played out to all the 5.1 speakers?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
MooreDynamic
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 23, 2019

Re: Soundbar 700 5.1 system - sound processing options?

Good question, my experience music that is not in 5.1 will play some out of the surround speakers but it won't be that "mind blowing" 

ThierryB
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Before you commit to buying this system, I strongly suggest to read through the "Smart Speakers" forum, and make sure you are prepared to deal with frustration, and issues that will never be fixed.

Furthermore based on history each firmware update add their lot of issues, that themselves never get addressed...

The soundbar 700 system is a nest of problems, and you should honestly consider another brand if you are wise.

Believe me I own a soundbar 700 + subwoofer 700 + rear speakers and this product is the worst I have ever owned...

The sound when it works if very good, but the soundbar is full of problems...

- HDMI ARC not working

- Missing channel when playing dolby digital

- Sound cutting out when playing dolby digital

- Crackling sound in the subwoofer depending on your environment

- Remote control not working

Also support is inexistent ... Bose will just conveniently "ignore" your issues, and pretend everything is fixed...

Do yourself a favour and really read through the different topics on this forum.

For your questions, you won't hear anything from the rear when playing stereo. So not sure you are looking at the right system for you (if you ignore my advise above...)

MooreDynamic
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 23, 2019

Maybe your system is defective, I have not had all those problems - yet... 

Most music is not even... Excuse me NO music fully utilizes ATOMS - it's a hassle to set up and position all the speakers correctly just to get some "over head sound" Don't Adulterate music meaning listen as it was intended or in 5.1 it's absolutly beautiful that way, there is no need for 21 speakers unless you are in a theater or want totally unrealistic music experience oh and how much do you "tweak" the speaker settings on your current system?  Imangine having over 21 speakers each with their own individual settings, you'd spend more time trying to get the "perfect Immersion" sound and repositioning them constantly, you'd hardly actually listen.  

I am not bashing Dolby ATMOS or these other "fancy systems" but MUSIC in its raw form is stereo and it doesn't hurt to ADD a few surround speakers but it does not look like music producers are going to make the switch to 5.1 or ATMOS in the next 100 years, so the Bose 700 SB with woofer and 2 surround speakers is going to knock the socks off 99% of all audiophiles.  This AMAZING 3d immersion is good for the 3 blueray titles that are on the market other than that its hype 

Robbon did
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 23, 2019

My experience is that if you want a full Dolby Atmos or DTS X surround experience then invest your hard earned money in a dedicated surround set up with a dedicated receiver and associated speakers. 

If you are happy with your tv undertaking the sound processing and downgrading it to a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround mix then the Bose set up may be a good option but may be limited in volume or surround effects. 

If like me you simply want the crappy tv speakers to be more immersive then the soundbar/bass unit is a good option BUT be aware that there are known issues with hdmi connections / CEC and a fall back of optical connection tv to bar. 

relying on the soundbar / bass unit and surround speakers will i think rely on your TV processing the sound mix and the soundbar acting as a hub for your other 3 speakers (bass+surrounds). As such it will never be anything more than 5.1. 

i tried the surrounds and they didnt really have enough bumpf for me in terms of a surround but im sure Bose do have products to suit. 

As such i stuck with my B&W surround set up and Marantz amp for immersive movie nights but the Bose 700+bass unit for general tv and netflix cruising etc... 

horses for courses and be aware of the limitations - there are other comparable systems or cheaper systems that can do the snazzy things better. Just my 2p. 

figure out what you want the system to do and pick the right product for that.

🙂

Robbon did
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 23, 2019

also in terms of your original question... i would say this is quite an expensive upgrade for turning a stereo youtube clip in to a fake 5.1 mix.