Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 13, 2019

Soundbar 700 E-ARC functionality

I had a question about the e-ARC capability of the Bose SB700. The Soundbar itself does not support DTSX or Dolby Atmos, so how useful is the E-ARC functionality? I have read some people argue that it is future-proofing, but will SB700 be able to support Dolby Atmos/DTSX with a simple software update? Won't it need new hardware for upward firing speakers meaning I will have to buy a new soundbar anyways when Dolby Atmos is supported?

I am debating between SB700 and ST300. My understanding is that they both sound the same and the only major difference is in-built Alexa (which is not a big plus for me). I was wondering if E-ARC is an important enough feature to go for the SB700 over the ST300 (which is cheaper at this point).

P.S: I do not have any other ST speakers so maintaining the ecosystem is of not particular relevance to me. I am thinking more in terms of bang for buck.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Soundbar 700 E-ARC functionality

Hello sjog2,

Thank you for your first post and Welcome to the Bose Community. 

Choosing between the SoundTouch 300 Soundbar and the Soundbar 700 would be completely down to personal choice however I can give you some facts on each of the Soundbars.

The Soundbars support Dolby Digitial HD. We have no information if our current soundbars will be able to be upgraded to support Dolby Atmos/DTSX. If they were, it is most likely that a software and hardware update would be needed.

The key difference between the Soundbars is the software that they run. The 700 is part of our new Smart Speaker family running with the Bose Music App and the 300 using the SoundTouch app. 

Here are a few other Community threads that discuss this matter which may be helpful to make your decision. 

Soundbar 700 vs SoundTouch 300

Bose Soundtouch 300 vs Bose Soundbar 700

If you have any other questions, please get back to us. 

I also invite members of the community to contribute opinions and facts from experience.

Warm Regards,

Charlotte G 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 13, 2019

Thanks for the prompt response. 🙂

I had two further questions regarding the following:

>> To be upgraded in the future for supporting Dolby Atmos/DTSX, a software and hardware update would be needed. However, the hardware update would only be parts such as the HDMI cable. 

1) Would the upgrade for supporting Dolby Atmos and DTSX be made available for both SB 700 and ST 300? 

2) Will the hardware update only be in terms of cables? Won't I need to purchase additional speakers if not an entirely new soundbar? At a more technical note, how will the current soundbar support ceiling effects if they don't have the appropriate drivers built into the soundbar.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hello sjog2,

Thank you for your questions, I will try to be as clear as possible in my response.

I'd just like to make you aware that we do not have any official information regarding any future upgrades to Dolby Atmos. 

From what I understand, yes additional speakers would need to be added but we cannot even guarantee that the upgrade will be made to either of these Soundbars. 

The only thing I would advise you when choosing between these two Soundbars is that our future Smart Speakers will be using the Bose Music software as appose to SoundTouch. However, we will be continuing to support SoundTouch products long term and you can add any of our existing SoundTouch speakers if you ever wanted to create a speaker family in your home. 

Please do get back to me if you have any further questions.

Warm Regards,

Charlotte G 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 13, 2019

Thanks for your response. This does clarify this for me. My last question would then be, is there any advantage of the e-ARC functionality on the SB700 today over the ARC on ST300? Are there any scenarios where the e-ARC would allow me to do something on the SB700 that I cannot do with the ST300?

Highlighted

Hi sjog2,

Functionality wise, there will be no difference. This will not mean that the Soundbar 700 will actually do anything extra to the SoundTouch 300 Soundbar. However, as stated before eARC is future proofing and as technology develops, eARC opens up the options for features such as Dolby Atmos (but again, not guaranteed).

eARC is just essentially an upgraded version of ARC. It is a feature of HDMI 2.1 that includes ethernet support which will give an Ultra-fast data transfer rate. This will give you the best possible audio resolution from your TV. To make the best of this feature, it is essential that you have the correct HDMI cable (which needs to support ethernet data transfer). 

As always, I'm always happy to answer any further questions you may have.

Warm Regards,

Charlotte G 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

If you have no investment in SoundTouch the new smart speaker series (700) would likely be the route for you, just for better sound in the HD audio realm that is upon us. eARC will give you the highest bandwith port. Granted there are no physical “presence speakers” I think the Sound Bar 700 would take advantage of higher resolutions streams like Netflix HQ Audio or Apple TV Atmos or even BlueRay disk and will just sound better.

I have recently been experimenting with the various audio connections and have been pleasantly surprised by the differences. First I tried connecting my Cinemate 130 via optical which resulted in LPCM 2.0 due to my older TV limitations. Still sounded pretty good. I then was able to connect using optical to my new TV which yielded DD5.1. The sound bar produced a fuller more detailed spacious sound. Proving to me the sound bar is actually decoding 5.1 sources, more than downscaling to stereo through a sound bar format. I have just connected my sound bar and TV using HDMI ARC(audio only). Subjectively the sound bar is producing even richer detailed sound compliments especially from Netflix who says they are using an HQ audio format.  

Consider:

Optical (Toslink) and even HDMI over ARC does not possess the bandwith required for codecs like Dolby HD, DTS X or Atmos. That’s where eARC comes in. 

Netflix cites:

• 5.1: From 192 kbps (good) up to 640 kbps (great/perceptually transparent)
  • Dolby Atmos: From 448 kbps up to 768 kbps (Dolby Atmos is available for members subscribed to the Premium plan)

SoundTouch will never support HD Audio codecs like ATMOS because of the lack of eARC.

There is a good chart contained in this WHAT HiFi article that illustrates the differences between Toslink, ARC and eARC connections.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

So the lack of “presence speakers” notwithstanding, with the right sources playing through eARC and using ultra high speed HDMI cables, you should hear an appreciable difference in sound between the SoundTouch 300 and 700 speaker bar .

I suggest you audition the different series speakers if you have the opportunity. Especially if you can listen to HD audio sources, with all the trimmings, to experience the best possible sound these speaker bars can put out.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 2, 2019

Dolby Atmos features are not available on the 700, so eARC does not make use of any anything now. The added eARC capability tells me Bose is getting ready for future.  We are currently able to add accessories like surround and bass modules.  What I would like to see happened is that Bose would offer the high speaker modules to be added as well.  Having the high channels on the wall or ceiling sepatately would sound better than having them integrated into the soundbar and keep the soundbar nice and compact to fit underneath most TVs.  I hink this would take a software update and having the high modules available for purchase. If Bose comes out another new soundbar with high channel integrated and would not offer the high modules seprately, it would make a lot of people mad especially me.  I have everything including the TV with eARC ready but I cannot take advantage of Dolby Atmos now.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@HTH wrote:

Dolby Atmos features are not available on the 700, so eARC does not make use of any anything now. The added eARC capability tells me Bose is getting ready for future.  We are currently able to add accessories like surround and bass modules.  What I would like to see happened is that Bose would offer the high speaker modules to be added as well.  Having the high channels on the wall or ceiling sepatately would sound better than having them integrated into the soundbar and keep the soundbar nice and compact to fit underneath most TVs.  I hink this would take a software update and having the high modules available for purchase. If Bose comes out another new soundbar with high channel integrated and would not offer the high modules seprately, it would make a lot of people mad especially me.  I have everything including the TV with eARC ready but I cannot take advantage of Dolby Atmos now.

Indeed e- Arc is the future and Atmos ready. Using that port with the correct HDMI 2.0 + cable will give you broader audio bandwith right now. Handy for HQ audio broadcasts found on services like Netflix.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 27, 2019

Can the bose 500 soundbar could potentially support Dolby atmos in the future?