Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Soundbar 700 change sound settings per mode

Hello!

I have the soundbar 700 with the bass module and the 2 satellites. The soundbar is connected to an Apple TV which I've put it under the icon that looks like a hard drive on the remote (second row, icon on the left (so under the music sign)).

When playing a movie on Apple TV, the sound it ok.

If i continue watch the movie and i click on the TV icon of the remote, the sound is better.

However if i change the settings on Apple TV to Soundbar 700 specifically, then the remote changes to the music icon and the sound is best!

However, since the remote is on the music icon it means that i cannot control the Apple TV anymore (which was on the hard drive icon). Can't really change to the hard drive icon because it switches back to the music icon all the time.

I assume it's a pre-set setting for each of the icons (music, tv, bluetooth, hard drive (Apple TV), and the other two).

How can i replace the pre-set setting of the Apple TV icon with the one from the music icon? It would save me a lot of trouble and make it so much more convenient.

I already tried changing on the iPhone app

Thank you

Adrien

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Soundbar 700 change sound settings per mode

Hey Nabot, 

Welcome to the forums. 

I would love to explore this more with you, but need some clarification on a few things first, please see my notes below:

I'd like to start by finding out what is connected, and where - getting an inventory of all items and connection types. This will allow me to help further as it is quite uncommon for the soundbar to be connected directly to an Apple TV.  Also when you say "if i change the settings on Apple TV to Soundbar 700 specifically, then the remote changes to the music icon and the sound is best!" - What does this mean? What settings on the Apple TV specifically are  you changing?

Just to let you know. The lit icons represent the source that the remote is controlling and interacting with. I would like to understand how the systems are connected together to understand why the music is better? Also “How can i replace the pre-set setting of the Apple TV icon with the one from the music icon? It would save me a lot of trouble and make it so much more convenient. I already tried changing on the iPhone app” – This isn’t possible. Again, we’d need to understand how they’re using the speaker exactly, but the music note app represents the Bose Music app input, meaning that the soundbar is inputting audio from a Wi-Fi source, such as TuneIn, Spotify, Apple Music, etc, vs the TV.

I look forward to your reply. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for your reply.

I have an LG TV (lg-OLED55B8SLC) and an Apple TV 4k.

The Apple TV is connected via HDMI cable to the TV's HDMI (input nr 4). It is also connected to internet using an Ethernet cable.

The TV is connected to the soundbar via optic cable (also is connected to cable TV if that matters).

The soundbar is connected to wifi (and again to the TV with optic cable).

By when i change the sound setting to the soundbar, i mean that while watching a movie you can swipe down to see some settings such as Info, Subtitles, and Audio.

Under Audio you can choose the language, the sound (Full Dynamic Range, Reduce Loud Sounds), and speaker where I can see the Apple TV as an option and "Bose Soundbar 700".

It is when selecting "Bose Soundbar 700" that the remote goes into music mode and I cannot control the Apple TV or the TV.

Furthermore, on the Apple TV's general settings > Video and Audio > Audio > Audio Output, If i select "Bose Soundbar 700" the same issue happens (Music icon as soon as I play a movie). I also noticed that in the Audio menu, before going into "Audio Output", i can see that "(Airplay)" is written next to "Bose Soundbar 700".

Thank you

Adrien

Highlighted

Hi Nabot, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

It sounds like you are selecting the soundbar as an Airplay 2 device on the Apple TV instead of using the HDMI ARC connection. The controls will not be available if you are connecting via Airplay 2. 

While streaming wirelessly may give the perception of louder sound due to heavier compression techniques, you will be getting a much better dynamic range using the HDMI ARC connection. You can learn more about dynamic range online. A good example of why heavier compression is not necessarily a good thing can be found if you search "Loudness wars". Essentially, a heavier compressed track may sound louder, but the audio is squashed/expanded, the detail is lost. When the music is delivered through the ARC, you'll have a wider range which may sound quieter initially, but if you turn the volume up louder, you'll get a lot more from the sound with more detail. 

I'd personally recommend using the ARC connection instead of Airplay 2 for general listening. 

Thanks! 😊

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Hello,

Apple TV only has 1 HDMI out which had to go to the TV.

My TV was connected to the soundbar using optical cable which i thought was the best but a quick search online said HDMI was best, so i connected the TV to the soundbar with HDMI and the sound was better.

Thanks!

Adrien

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Hi again,

You said "While streaming wirelessly may give the perception of louder sound due to heavier compression techniques [...]".

Does it mean i would have better quality sound if i connect the soundbar to ethernet instead of wifi?

Ignoring movies since we fixed that now, thinking more about spotify or radio through the Bose Music app.

Thank you