Aug 24, 2019

Soundbar 700 crashes, makes horrible noise

Product: 
SoundBar 700 

Accessories: 
Bass module 500

Surround speakers 700 

Firmware version: 10.0.10-8565+88f8514

So my soundbar has been crashing almost daily for the last 2 weeks or so. Usually we are watching TV and suddenly the sound stops, followed by a little "pop" noise and 5 seconds or so later a screeching loud horrible noise. After that the soundbar displays a red light and we have to unplug the soundbar and plug it back so it works again. Here is a video where you can hear the noise it makes after it crashes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mdr3z3c75yjvut1/Soundbar%20crash.mp4?dl=0

The bar is connected to the TV via the optical port. It is also always connected to the internet (ethernet). Apart from that we exclusively use it with the TV, we have a smart tv, so we never use the bluetooth or the music feature. 

Anyone has or is experiencing similar issues?  

32 REPLIES 32
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Soundbar 700 crashes, makes horrible noise

Hi drnando,

Your soundbar certainly should not have been crashing and making that sound, it's really strange!

As you mentioned this started about 2 weeks ago, did you notice any changes to your set up, or area near the soundbar before this started happening? I'm not sure if something in the environment could cause this but it would be worth checking just in case. If you have added any new electrical devices to the setup or near the soundbar, try removing them and see if the sound and red light still happens.

If it's not something in the environment causing this, then from how you have described the error it does sound like you would need to look into the service options for your soundbar. To do so, please reach out to your local support team and they will be able to help you with this. You can find the contact information for your local team at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Coug189
Participant
Registered since

Dec 29, 2020

I'm experiencing the exact same issue as above where I hear snap...silence for a few seconds followed by a loud screeching sound with a red light on the sound bar until I unplug it...which temporarily resolves the issue.  It began last week and has since happened twice more.  I'm connected to a Smart TV by optical...I have the 700 bass module and surround speakers and I've even added a battery back-up surge protector to rule out power fluctuations after this happened the first time.  I haven't added any new equipment to the environment. It seems very odd that we both have the exact same issue which began within weeks of the other.  The recommendation by your customer service was to get the Soundbar serviced at an authorized dealer. Do I get reimbursed my service fee if your authorized dealer tells me the hardware is fine & it's determined to be a Bose software problem? 

Gianniwhisper
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

Gents, 

I'm also experiencing the same issue. It's extremely disturbing. It's becoming more frequent. 

Superc17
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 1, 2021

Bose product name Bose 700 Soundbar

Country UK

Firmware Version  10.0.10-8565+88f8514

App Version  4.2.4

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.) Samsung Q9FN TV Ver1310.4

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

Every two or three weeks the soundbar makes such a loud crack, scares us all to death and shuts off.

The only way to get it to work again is to remove the power for about 30 seconds and plug it back in.

The sound generally is fine, no unusual sounds, it just does it randomly for no reason.

It hasn't been moved or messed with. 

What environment do you experience the issue in?  Lounge 

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously? 

The problem started about three months ago though we've had the soundbar since June 2019, nothing has changed in that time.

Any troubleshooting steps you took  Factory reset

Miller900
Participant
Registered since

Feb 1, 2021

I have the same issue.

The loud crack scares my family every time.

I always think the speakers are going to blow.

I pull power cord out and then all is fine....but mine is happening every few days.

Is there a solution  to this yet?

This speaker isn't cheap and should be operating better than what is happening.

I'm not to impressed.

I'd rather not look elsewhere for a new product but I'm looking for some help to rectify this issue or a replacement if it doesn't stop.

Sam_F

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear you're also encountering this issue with the strange audio and the shutting down of your system. This shouldn't be happening at all, and therefore I'd encourage that you reach out to local support as suggested by @Keith_L, to have this looked into further and resolved. The team will be happy to explain the available service options and walk you through the process.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any further queries regarding this.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
248mnty
Participant
Registered since

May 27, 2020

I have this exact same problem on a 700 sound bar and 700 sub that are less than 2 years old. Bose, are you telling us that we have to PAY for these systems to be repaired?!

Superc17
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 1, 2021

Hi Sam, are we correct in thinking that Bose is unaware of this problem or do they know what is causing the issue?

cursedZeroX
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 7, 2021

I have the exact same issue with my 700, that’s a bit over 2 years old now, almost every day and it seems to have started recently. I also have optical hooked up and HDMI hooked up to a non-ARC HDMI port to support volume control. My TV is a Sony X900F and I haven’t had this issue till now. Nothing has really changed either. The loud screeching noise scares my girlfriend and I to death every time it happens and it’s not clear what is causing it, making it very frustrating. I will try just an ARC HDMI without optical to see if it helps, but I would like the previous setup to work as I have limited HDMI ports that support 4K 60Hz 4:2:2 and need to use the HDMI ARC port for another device.