Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 24, 2020

Soundbar 700 possessed

OK, this was very weird!

It's 5:00 am, the wife and I are soundly asleep when we are both were awaken to the sound of a woman screaming "PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!" The voice continued  with a blood curdling screaming and repeating the statement.  We both staggered out of bed making our way to the front door! Thinking a woman was being attacked on our porch and was in absolute peril, we approached with caution of the unknown!  Once in the front room, we discovered our soundbar was the culprit! It was not an actual attack but the sound of a movie playing on our soundbar!  I grabbed the remote and turned it off, seconds later it came back on.  It started softly and got louder and louder. I turned it off several times and it kept repeatedly turning back on as if possessed, eventually staying off. The TV wasn't even turned on! Needless to say, we got a very early start to our day with no chance of going back to sleep. 

We have no idea what just happened and was wondering if anyone else had experiences a possessed Bose soundbar?  Any suggestions welcome. 

Thanks'  Sleepless in Ca.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Soundbar 700 possessed

Hey @toymaker,

Apologies for the fright! This isn't normal but something must've triggered the soundbar to start playing the audio.

What brand of TV do you have the soundbar connected to? Also, what cable are you using to connect the soundbar to your TV? If you're using an HDMI cable, it seems as if HDMI-CEC may have had a hand in the soundbar turning itself on. What you may want to check is the HDMI-CEC settings on the Bose Music app:

1. In the Bose Music app, tap the image of the soundbar in the lower-right corner
    If the image is a different product, tap the My Bose icon  in the upper-left corner, select the speaker, then tap the image of the speaker in the lower-right corner
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Scroll down to the Power section, then tap Advanced CEC
  4. Tap the circle next to the desired option to select it:
    • On: Enables CEC (default setting)
    • Off: Disables CEC
    • Alternate: Try this setting if you cannot control or experience unexpected control with a certain device 
  5. When finished, tap the back arrow in the upper-left to return to the previous screens.

Play around with the settings to see if you notice any change in the system behavior!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 24, 2020

Re: Soundbar 700 possessed

Sam, 

From the sound of his issue he almost certainly has the same problem I faced with my 700. Once you pair the TV to the sound bar, it is another device attached to the TV that is the culprit. In my case it was my internet TV box that was powering up both the TV and soundbar every 7-10 minutes. Could also be an Apple TV, Firestick etc. 

He needs to make sure everything is powered off.