Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Soundbar 700 setup vs Lifestyle 600?

@Surround1 wrote:

The 650 sounds incredible with movie material. If you were buying the system mainly for music I would go with the 600. The Soundbar can’t compete. I know purchased all 3!

If I was building a system for music I would be looking at the 301s, SA5 amp and Airport Express in a classic stereo configuration. I heard this setup up in a the Bose Store theatre a couple years ago. Sounded great playing Apple a music and SoundTouch sources.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Surround1 wrote:

There is no comparison with the 300 or 700 Soundbar compared to a Lifestyle 600 or 650. Not even close! I have demo’d these side by side and it was night and day.

The new Lifestyle systems have incredible dialogue and detail the 300/700 Soundbars don’t even come close to. As for drivers what do you think are in the Soundbar? Very small drivers.

There is a reason the 600 & 650 cost much more. Sound quality!

@Surround1 

I respect your opinion as listening to sound is a personal matter. I do agree, the LS series are very good sounding systems. My post was more to do about what appears to be a convergence in product lines. You only have to look at these systems, especially the LS 650 which is pretty much a sound bar with wireless satellites. Even the sound bars can now use the same satellite speakers as the LS 650.  I think going forward the choices will centred around sound bar design, no consoles and wireless satellites. Perhaps the differentiations will be physical size of the sound bars, phase guide v direct reflecting side speakers and features like e-arc and Atmos. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

The 650 has proprietary drivers in the center channel. And actually left and right information is sent to this sound bar. The 300/700 Soundbar is poor on dialogue compared to the 600/650. That’s why I returned it. I don’t think the consoles are going anywhere. As for the Omnijewel’s for surround is obvious. There is very little information sent to the rears and some clever DSP is all Bose had to do to make them compatible.

The 650 got it right. The Soundbar is designed mainly for clear dialogue. Not a all in one.

Personally I’m not a fan of a strictly Soundbar set up period. I find them underwhelming at least. But I see why there is a market for them. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I prefer the Bose Soundtouch 300 with rear surrounds and Acoustimass 300 over the Bose Lifestyle 650.  Before, and even after I purchased my 300, I went back to the Bose store to listen to the 650 several times, trying to justify to myself an upgrade.  I could not do it.  The 650 was just too shrill.  The 300 is much "sweeter" and more mellow to my ears.  It's just a matter of personal preference.

I'm now using Roon and my Oppo 203 to listen to streaming high resolution music from Tidal and Qobuz.  I'm very happy with the Bose Soundtouch 300.  Hearing is a very personal thing.  What sounds best to one person doesn't say how it will sound to someone else.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

This is true. The 300 just was not for me. And after doing a side by side it was clear as day. They 650 sounds nothing like it did in the store at home. Movies are utterly fantastic.

The dialogue is crystal clear. That being said I can see why on some material some may prefer the 600 over the 650 if you were using it mainly for music. The one thing I stress is don’t let anyone try to impress you with how loud a system can play. You will loose perspective. Can you hear the whispering dialogue in a action scene. Do you have to boost and cut the volume to hear the dialogue. I found the 650 to be excellent for this.

and on movies it’s spectacular with the 360 Omni Jewels. That’s why I like it. And recommend it.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2018

The brightness can be adjusted. But it’s always harder to boost something that’s not there. From the reps I’ve talked to the 650 far outsells the 600. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Some people simply buy the most expensive to get the "best."  A lot of them probably never listened to any others.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Surround1 wrote:

From the reps I’ve talked to the 650 far outsells the 600. 

If I was in the market for a new AV setup I would choose the SB700 over the SB500 or the LS 650 over the LS 600. Favouring sound bars, right now I would still pick the SB 300 because I have a few SoundTouch speakers. I really like the effect of the phase guide technology. I find the effect more spatial than the direct rear speakers. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 23, 2019

I have the SB 700 with surround speakers and 2 woofers and I primarily listen to music.  Would the LS 650 for about 1K more be a HUGE difference with music?  I have no way to "try it out" and I don't know anyone that has the LS 650 so I can listen to it.....  I love music but if I can have a HUGE difference by going from the SB 700 to LS 650 I would I guess.  

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I doubt you would hear any improvement at all.  In fact, your music may not sound as good.  I would stick with your Soundbar 700 until/unless you opt for a totally new high quality stereo sound system just for music.