Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2020

Soundbar: remote volume multiple press to increase or decrease

Soundbar 500, India

When you press the volume up or down you have to press multiple time to increase or decrease. Most devices the volume increases when + is press+hold you release when the desired volume is reached. The device used to work like this, in  last 2 weeks after some upgrade the behaviour has changed, you now have to press multiple time about 15 times to set the desired volume. 

This is going to spoil the volume controls with over use on the remote. Is there any way to make the volume increase/decrease on press+hold?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2020

Re: Soundbar: remote volume multiple press to increase or decrease

Author Accepted Answer selected by rukpat

Remove the voice4video tatasky cable box - don't not work.

Uninstalled the Bose app - did not work.

Disconnected the hdmi and power from the device. Waited for 1min and reconnected - did not work.

Reinstalled the app - set it up to just detect and left all options as default - did not work.

Setup voice4video (still failing after post code) - did not work.

Same multi press volume change. I think it is some firmware setting behaviour not controlled by the remote or app.

SOLVED: changed the remote batteries and it is working as it should :-)!

Now please help cable setup it is failing after postcode. I can send you the screen shots.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Hi rukpat!

Welcome! Thanks for joining us in the community!

It's odd that the behavior of our remote has changed, as you mentioned it started around 2 weeks ago, did you change anything in your setup around then? Our last update was released on May 5th, so it should not be caused by an update to the soundbar.

I do have a couple of questions for you, to help me get a better idea of what is happening with your soundbar.

Which remote do you have for the Soundbar 500? Are you using the smaller IR remote or the larger universal remote?

What have you been using the soundbar to listen to when this happens? Does it only happen when watching the TV or do you also get the same behavior when listening to music through the Bose Music app or Bluetooth?

Also, how do you have your soundbar connected to your TV? Are you using the HDMI or optical cable to connect?

One thing I would definitely recommend doing to start with is a reset of your soundbar. To do this, what you will want to do is disconnect the soundbar from power for at least 30 seconds, then plug it back in and give it a test.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2020

Hi Keith,

I am using the smaller IR remote that came with the Soundbar 500.

The soundbar is connected to the TV via HDMI.

It is happening for both when watching TV and playing music via Alexa.

It was working normally. I then had to clean behind the TV and disconnected everything the sound bar power and the hdmi cable (2 hour of so). I then was mucking with the Bose app, played with the setting and enabled, voice4video for my Tata Sky cable settop box. I noticed the problem after that.

After you messaged I have restarted it is still the same.

BTW voice4video is fantastic. I am able to say "Alexa,  watch channel 622" and it switches to the correct channel on Tata sky. Two Problems:1) it is very slow to switch 2) in the Bose app it is still showing the voice4video setup incomplete. It crashes after it asks for the pin code. The voice command works nevertheless. So not complaining.

Highlighted

Thanks for the update rukpat!

It is weird that it has changed since you have set up the voice4video feature. I can't think of any reason this should affect the volume controls, especially as it has changed when you are listening to music as well.

It would be interesting to know if removing the connected devices under Alexa for voice4video would change the behavior. Could you try removing them and see if this does change anything? You can do this through the Bose Music app by navigating to Settings > Voice Assistant > Alexa > Devices. You can then choose your cable box and remove it.

If the setup is showing as incomplete for this, completely removing the device and then going back and re-adding it should also allow you to finish the setup for your cable box in the app as well!

Let me know how it goes!

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by rukpat

Remove the voice4video tatasky cable box - don't not work.

Uninstalled the Bose app - did not work.

Disconnected the hdmi and power from the device. Waited for 1min and reconnected - did not work.

Reinstalled the app - set it up to just detect and left all options as default - did not work.

Setup voice4video (still failing after post code) - did not work.

Same multi press volume change. I think it is some firmware setting behaviour not controlled by the remote or app.

SOLVED: changed the remote batteries and it is working as it should :-)!

Now please help cable setup it is failing after postcode. I can send you the screen shots.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That is great to hear!

Do send us some screenshots through, this would be very beneficial 😊

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2020

How do I share screen shot? There is no picture upload facility.

Highlighted

Not a problem @rukpat! When you refer to 'failing after postcode' - what options do you have on that page? Also what pages do you go through and what options do you select to leave you to that point?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2020

Soundbar 500 voice4video setup fails on postcode

thanks @Wayne_M for this article:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Smart-Home/Amazon-Alexa-with-your-Soundbar-500-amp-700/m-p/258550

I have set it up but it fails on post code and stays incomplete. Please see screen shots below.

I am selecting "Tata Sky" and post code "400076".

Bose Cable Setup 1.jpegBose Cable Setup 2.jpegBose Cable Setup 3.jpegBose Cable Setup 4.jpegBose Cable Setup 5.jpeg

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2020