Highlighted
Wildbill620
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2018

Soundtouch 300 bass module cutting out

Hello all,

I have a soundtouch 300 with the virtually invisible rear speakers and bass module.  Purchased new in May 2018.  I've noticed during the past couple months that the bass will "drop out".  This happens during movies and TV shows alike.  I mostly notice it during sci-fi movies where there's background noises (think engine noise). The sound cuts out and comes back a few seconds later.  I've tried a full reset of the system and all firmware is up to date.  Yesterday I noticed some strange reverberation and light popping from the subwoofer, which is worse when it's set above halfway.   I also notice an unusual amount of heat coming from the bottom of the subwoofer.   I'm thinking this is a hardware issue now that I've noticed the heat.  The module has never had any connectivity issues (wifi) and it sits to the left of the sound bar less than a foot away.   Any ideas?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Soundtouch 300 bass module cutting out

Hello Wildbill620,

Thank you very much for your message, I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing some intermittent and poor audio from your Bass Module. 

Could you please confirm which Bass Module you own?

You have stated that you have reset your set up, I would recommend that you also reboot your router to see if this shows any sign of improvements. 

We would love to do what we can in order to get this resolved for you, however if you are concerned with the heat of your unit, I would encourage you to contact your regions Bose Technical Support team for immediate assistance regarding this. Please follow this link, select your region and scroll down to "Contact Us". There you will find the appropriate contact information an agent there will also be more than happy to assist you with this matter further.

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Tegan M - Community Support 

Wildbill620
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2018

Tegan,

I have the Acoustimass 300 wireless bass module (in black, with the glass top).  I did a reset of the router as part of the troubleshooting and the issue persists.

The heat is of some concern to me.  I moved the unit last night after posting this and the floor was quite warm to the touch.  There's 10" of space all around the module so there's plenty of airflow. Everything has performed flawlessly up until a few weeks ago (maybe 5 or 6).  During the nicer weather I don't watch as much media or listen to music as much so it's a little difficult to pinpoint exactly when this started.  

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi there @Wildbill620 and thanks for getting back to us!

The heat from your bass module does concern me as well here. Considering you have already done the wireless troubleshooting, we would normally recommend that you connect a cable to the bass module directly to check that there is no wireless interference causing your audio issue, but considering the heat here I would recommend that you follow the instructions by @Tegan_M above and reach out to support in your region.

You could also reach out to us through Social Media via Facebook or Twitter for further assistance with this.

Please follow up with us when you can!

Liam W

beartunes
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 30, 2017

Did you ever solve this?  I disconnected my system to paint and when i hooked it all back up, the bass will cut out.  Does it with streaming and with tv.  Even when the systems only been on 5 mins.  It's all in the same space it was before and nothing changed.   I rebooted the router and that didn't help.  I also have bass module and the virtually invisible rear speakers.

Wildbill620
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2018

Nope.  Never did fully resolve the issue.  I even got a new bass module (paid out of pocket) and it still does it.  It drops out randomly no matter what input I'm using.  The subs will also pop and crackle now.  I got a separate router and set up a wifi network that only the soundtouch is on, which actually worked for a bit (probably a week an a half) but it started again.   Now I have it connected by ethernet and it still does it.  I've moved everything, done everything and tried everything.  I can do a factory reset in my sleep.   I am just so sick to death of this system.  We have people over and I am embarrassed when the popping/cutting out starts.  I feel like a chump for sinking over $2000 into this system.   But I cannot afford to replace it with anything else.  I wish bose would take all of this back towards a lifestyle 600 system.   And how sick is it that I'm still willing to give bose money after all the trouble I've had?   Maybe it's time for Sonos..............????

Hi All,

Thank you for posting and contributing to the discussion.

@beartunes, It sounds like you've done some good troubleshooting already and gathered some helpful information, so thank you for doing that and letting us know.

To help us troubleshoot this with you further, I do have a few questions to start us off with. Firstly, are we also using the SoundTouch 300 as the main speaker in your set up?

As you mentioned you have the rear speakers as well, have you noticed those cutting out as well? Or is it just the bass module?

I know nothing has changed in the space, other than the new paint, but what other wireless devices do we have near, or between, the soundbar and the bass module? As you have rebooted the router, how far away from the system is it?

@Wildbill620, I'm sorry to hear you are still experiencing this issue. I can see you have done a lot of testing to try and remove wireless interference, but did we ever try connecting a 3.5mm audio cable between the bass module and the soundbar? If the disconnects and crackling and popping stopped then, there may be something we have missed so far.

It is also possible, considering you have a new bass module and the issue has continued, that it is the soundbar sending the signal that is causing the problem. Given all the troubleshooting you have tried so far, it would definitely be worth getting in touch with your local support team if the issue is still present. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you both.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Wildbill620
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2018

Keith,

Yes, I've connected a 3.5 cord from the soundbar to each of my 700 bass modules.  Nothing at all changed.  They still drop the sound intermittently and snap, crackle and pop.  I'm an MECP master installer and have installed nearly a million dollars worth of audio equipment over the years and the only thing I can compare these noises to is when I had a sub that had been overdriven or a speaker with a faulty voice coil.  I doubt there's an issue with two of the bass modules and they both make the popping noise at the same time, leading me to believe it's the signal they're being given and not the modules themselves.  The VI rear speakers never lose their connection or experience sound loss.

I got nearly a year out of this system and I noticed this issue after a software update some time ago.

Anyhow, I'm really at my wits end with this system. I've entered my serial number before in the service link and it says unable to offer support so I don't know what kind of help the service place will be besides another headache of sending the components in and waiting who knows how long to get something back and being without speakers while they dink around and tell me nothing is wrong.    I am utterly and completely flabbergasted by this issue.

Hello Wildbill620, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Can I please confirm, have you tried temporarily moving the soundbar to another room to test for any interference with the system? This is quite often the case of this issue. If you have, factory resetting the soundbar and then running ADAPTiQ again would be a great idea. You can find the steps to factory reset the system here

If the issue persists, as the issue is with two separate bass modules, it's likely a fault with the soundbar outputting the audio to this component. I would suggest reaching back out to the support team and having the system looked at. I am sure that the team will be able to fix the issue and you can get back to enjoying your system. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Wildbill620
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2018

Did you read any of my responses here?  I've done so many factory resets that I can do it in my sleep. Yes, I've run the adaptiq every time as well. Also, the sound bar is connected by Ethernet to my network. 

So let's say I move my system to another room and there's no interference.  Then what?  Do I need to move my couch, coffee table and make an entire new living room because this $2000 home theater system can't work around other wireless devices?  

Why did the system work flawlessly for a year and this issue only start after a firmware update?   Why don't the rear speakers suffer from the "wireless interference"?  Why do the bass modules still cut out even when they're connected with a 3.5mm cable?   

I'm not trying to be rude as I understand you have a script to stick to but this issue has absolutely nothing to do with wireless signals in my home and absolutely everything to do with Bose building inferior hardware and using poor software updates to compensate.  

I don't have the time to box up and ship my entire system back to you and pay even more money to eventually end up with the same issues again.   I have no faith left in Bose products.