Streaming Tidal On Bose Soundtouch 300

SOLVED
Highlighted
Noisy Narrator

Streaming Tidal On Bose Soundtouch 300

I just started my 30 day trial of Tidal streaming via my Apple TV 4K to my Bose Soundtouch 300 5.1 system.  I'm trying to decide between Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal as far as which one (ones) to keep.  Maybe it's my imagination, but Tidal does sound more "alive" through the Bose than the other two.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by jimgfitz

Accepted Solutions
Noisy Narrator

Re: Streaming Tidal On Bose Soundtouch 300

I think 96/24 is the same resolution you get from the Tidal app running on a computer.  I have determined that this sounds terrific connecting my computer to my Bose Soundtouch 300 using HDMI.  One thing I don't know is if the Bose degrades the sound at all since it is connected using HDMI.

Based on information I have gathered so far, I believe the Bluesound Node 2i will be a worthwhile investment for playing Tidal HIFI MQA on my Bose Soundtouch 300 using an optical connection.  I believe the sound will be as good or better, but no worse, than using a computer connected via HDMI.  Also, using a computer is a pain since it is located across the room from my listening position.

That said, using a computer with a Dragonfly Cobalt DAC and headphones is a whole other level of great sounding music, probably on par with a high dollar receiver, DAC, speakers setup.

70 REPLIES 70
Noisy Narrator

@jimgfitz wrote:

I just started my 30 day trial of Tidal streaming via my Apple TV 4K to my Bose Soundtouch 300 5.1 system.  I'm trying to decide between Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal as far as which one (ones) to keep.  Maybe it's my imagination, but Tidal does sound more "alive" through the Bose than the other two.

@jimgfitz Your imagination is in tact!

Tidal outputs higher bit rate titles than the other services by default. Apple Music outputs @256 kbps AAC which is supposed to be a quality format. Spotify 320Kbps Ogg Vorbis again a pretty good quality.

Me I am partial to Apple Music but everything I have is Apple so the service integrates really well into all my gear.

This is a good article about the different services in general:

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/streaming/best-music-streaming-services

This article compares Apple and Spotify:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-music-vs-spotify-is-there-a-difference-in-sound-quality/

Tidal is on on its own offering the highest quality sound but with a smaller library.

Fortunately your Apple TV and Airplay does a good job at handling everything. I am looking forward to read about your findings. Happy testing!

Noisy Narrator

Yes, I am aware of the difference is bit rates.  I just wasn't sure it would be detectable through the Bose Soundtouch 300.  However, since I started my Tidal trial last night, I haven't listened to Apple Music or Spotify.  Tidal really sounds good.  I have free trials with all three, 30 day with Tidal, 3 months with Spotify, and 6 months with Apple Music.  I may take my time deciding which to keep and pay for Tidal a month or two.

Noisy Narrator

OK, I plugged my Apple TV 4K HDMI out into my OPPO 203 HDMI in and Tidal sounds incredible playing through the Bose Soundtouch 300.

Noisy Narrator

@jimgfitz wrote:

Yes, I am aware of the difference is bit rates.  I just wasn't sure it would be detectable through the Bose Soundtouch 300.  However, since I started my Tidal trial last night, I haven't listened to Apple Music or Spotify.  Tidal really sounds good.  I have free trials with all three, 30 day with Tidal, 3 months with Spotify, and 6 months with Apple Music.  I may take my time deciding which to keep and pay for Tidal a month or two.

@jimgfitz 

There is definitely something to the bit rate differences. Recently I punched in the 320kbps URL stream for SmoothJazz.com. Much improved, clearer, crisper, fuller sound over the standard stream from Tunein and even the 256kbps stream from SmoothJazz.com. 

I am curious why you ran the Tidal stream through the Oppo DVD player?

Where was the streaming source before?

Noisy Narrator

I'm streaming Apple Music and Tidal from the Apple TV 4K.  The Apple TV is connected to my LG OLED C7 via HDMI and the LG is connected to my Bose Soundtouch 300 via HDMI ARC.

My Oppo 203 4K DVD player is supposed to have superior audio processing to any of the other devices, so I ran a trial by plugging the Apple TV into the Oppo HDMI in.  The Oppo is plugged into my LG via HDMI.  When I first did it, I thought I could hear even better hi res audio from Tidal, but again, that might be my imagination.  I may try it again tomorrow to try and determine if it really makes a difference or not.

I also don't know if the LG TV degrades the hi res audio quality from Tidal or not.  The Oppo has an HDMI audio out that I might try plugging into the Bose 300 to take the LG TV out of the sound loop to see if that makes any difference.  At some point, the Bose 300 is probably not going to project any perceptable sound improvement.

The problem with fooling around with this stuff is there is a tendency to seek perfection.

Noisy Narrator

@jimgfitz wrote:

I also don't know if the LG TV degrades the hi res audio quality from Tidal or not.  The Oppo has an HDMI audio out that I might try plugging into the Bose 300 to take the LG TV out of the sound loop to see if that makes any difference.  At some point, the Bose 300 is probably not going to project any perceptable sound improvement.

As I suspected. The downside of putting everything through a modern tv leaves us at the mercy of the tv manufacturers. TVs have limitations, sometimes in the wifi cards, sometimes in the audio processing, as you suggest. A good example, very few tv’s pass through DD Atmos. I suspect your Oppo has better audio processing capabilities than your tv so you probably are hearing better quality sound. 

The problem with fooling around with this stuff is there is a tendency to seek perfection.

Indeed.

Noisy Narrator

OK, I don't think I'm going to do any better than this with my current setup.

Streaming Tidal MQA's (master quality authentication) from my wife's iPhone X using Apple Airplay 2 to Apple TV 4K.  Then from the Apple TV to my Oppo 203 DVD via HDMI, HDMI from Oppo to LG OLED TV, HDMI ARC from LG TV to Bose Soundtouch 300.  I need to see if it sounds the same streaming from the Apple TV without using the iPhone.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't (corrected).

Noisy Narrator

Well, I took the Oppo out of the loop.  Although it will play Dolby Digital DVD's, it will only pass HDR10 from an HDMI connected input device.  I decided I didn't want to hamper my Apple TV 4K video for some questionable audio improvement to the Bose Soundtouch 300.  This is all so subjective, I'm not sure I can tell any difference.

Noisy Narrator

@jimgfitz wrote:

Well, I took the Oppo out of the loop.  Although it will play Dolby Digital DVD's, it will only pass HDR10 from an HDMI connected input device.  I decided I didn't want to hamper my Apple TV 4K video for some questionable audio improvement to the Bose Soundtouch 300.  This is all so subjective, I'm not sure I can tell any difference.

I have researched, experimented and just played around trying to find that elusive audio nirvana over the years. I agree, some of this is pretty subjective. Trust your ears and emotions when trying to setup up that just right combination. 

I have found that BOSE and Apple provide me with the right combination of convenience and good sound. Higher bit rate sources seems to prop up the sound for sure but the less gear in the mix the better.

The way things are going I look forward to the day that my Cinemate 130 will have nothing attached but the TV and I can drop the Airport Express(s) from my SoundTouch speakers. As it stands right now I have a BlueRay DVD player and olde Apple TV sitting idle on my HT stand.

I have completely dropped optical from my computers and home theater. Everything is in the cloud. Even my cable service is moving to the cloud this fall.

Last night I watched a movie, Alita, on my Samsung TV using the built in Apple TV app. My Bose Cinemate 130 never sounded so good and of course the 4K HDR image on the TV was amazing. The ARC / CEC setup is very convenient.

Back to the SoundTouch speakers. I choose the best streams possible sometimes putting in a custom URL. To access Apple Music I presently use Airport Express. This may not be putting through the Tidal MQA hi res streams but I chose to stay with Apple Music for that balance of good sound and convenience. 

@jimgfitz 

Glad to see you aren’t afraid to try the different options that are aviaible to us these days and report back on your experiences. Makes for good reading

Thanks!