Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Streaming Tidal On Bose Soundtouch 300

Just dropped Qobuz.  While I really like it, I don't need both Tidal and Qobuz and don't want to spend that much money.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Well, I just added Qobuz back.  I decided I wasn't quite ready to give it up while I was in the middle of my Roon trial.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

For anyone who is not aware, Amazon now offers high resolution streaming for $15 per month.  You can run a free 90 day trial and Amazon is available through the Bose Soundtouch app.  It works well and sounds great.  I will probably drop Tidal, Qobuz, and Roon in favor of Amazon.  It's almost a no-brainer.

Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I just saved $40 per month.  I cancelled Tidal, Qobuz, and Roon.  I'm going with Amazon Ultra for only $15 per month streaming to my Bose Soundtouch 300 using the Bose Soundtouch app.  The Bose does 24/96 and if I want 24/192, I can plug my iPhone, iPad, or laptop into my Oppo 203 and use headphones via RCA analog out.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I just saved $40 per month.  I cancelled Tidal, Qobuz, and Roon.  I'm going with Amazon Ultra for only $15 per month streaming to my Bose Soundtouch 300 using the Bose Soundtouch app.  The Bose does 24/96 and if I want 24/192, I can plug my iPhone, iPad, or laptop into my Oppo 203 and use headphones via RCA analog out.

@Xyz987 

Is this part of the Amazon music services built into SoundTouch?

>streaming to my Bose Soundtouch 300 using the Bose Soundtouch app. 

How does this procedure work?

Glad you found a service that will work for you. You certainly did a lot of testing. I am finding Amazon Prime Video is starting to excel with its video service. Improving content and 4KHDR titles.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I think you just go to your Amazon account and sign up for Amazon HD music.  It's free for 90 days, then $14.99 per month thereafter.  If you are an Amazon Prime member, which I am not, it's a couple dollars a month cheaper.  I think, maybe $12.99 per month.

You just install the Amazon Music app on your iPhone, iPad, or computer (probably android also, IDK).  You can also install the Amazon Music on your Apple TV, but it will be downsampled to 24/48 there.  Amazon Music was also recently added to the Bose Soundtouch app.  What you can hear is going to depend on your Bose device DAC.  Or, if you have quality headphones, you can purchase a DAC, such as Dragonfly Cobalt, and listen to 24/96 streaming from your iPhone, iPad, or computer.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Kudos @Xyz987 . I have read a few articles now about Amazons latest HD audio offering. Of course the article authors all question what is Apple going to do? Certainly my question too. While I am always game for better sounding audio, I am going to wait to see what Apple will offer. I remember when iTunes first came out came out, the audio files were done at a lower resolution (128kbps) then came iTunes plus, the current 256kbps aac version.

I think with Amazon and Netflix putting better A/V formats, Apple will follow suit. 

I will be interested in your comments about Amazon HD on your SoundTouch gear.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Well, I changed my mind again.  I paid for a year of Roon ($119) and reinstated Tidal and Qobuz.  I'll wait until my Amazon trial ends in December to decide what to keep.

Now that I've paid for a year of Roon, that's a sunk cost that I can ignore.  If I keep Tidal and/or Qobuz, I'll have a year to decide if I want to continue to use Roon or purchase a streaming device.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I just cancelled my Amazon trial although it last until December.  I plan to keep Tidal, Qobuz, or both.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Roon just raised the price of their lifetime subscription from $499 to $699.  The annual subscription remains at $119.  They are trying to discourage lifetime memberships to get more customer onto annual to ensure future cash flow.  Having just paid for one year last month, they let me convert to lifetime at the $499 price.

Also, if anyone is interested in Qobuz, they recently lowered their price from $24.99 to $14.99 per month.  I assume this is to meet the Amazon HD price.  Qobuz offers an annual subscription for $149.99 which equates to $12.50 per month.  I converted my subscription to annual.  That's a 50 percent price reduction.

Tidal remains at $19.99 per month and they say they are not planning to lower their price.  We shall see.