Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Streaming Tidal On Bose Soundtouch 300

I'm really enjoying fooling around with this stuff.  Last night, I listened to several hours of Tidal streaming from my new Dell XPS15 laptop though a cheap pair of earphones.  I'm starting to think a little about looking for a "moderately" priced music streaming device that would plug into my OPPO HDMI in and then use the secondary HDMI out (audio only) from the Oppo to the Bose Soundtouch 300 HDMI in (not the HDMI ARC).  This would eliminate the Apple TV 4K and LG OLED TV from the equation.  I would want a streaming device with built in Tidal, Spotify, and Apple Music, if one exist.

EDIT: I guess it's possible, I'm already getting the best possible sound via my Apple TV 4K passing through the LG OLED TV to the Bose 300.  I wish I could confirm that.  If that is the case, my Bose 300 is the weakest link in the chain and I'm done (for now).

EDIT 2: Tidal responded that Apple TV 4K is not MQA capable.  It will sound better than hi def, but you need an MQA capable streaming device for the full benefit of MQA.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I ordered a Dragonfly Cobalt to use with my iPhone 6S Plus (or wife's iPhone X) to see how much difference the MQA makes.  If not a lot of difference, I'll stick with my current setup.  If I can hear a significant difference (with my 71 year old drummer/pilot ears), I might consider an MQA streaming device for the Bose 300 setup.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

>  I would want a streaming device with built in Tidal, Spotify, and Apple Music, if one exist.

Apple has announced there will be an update to Home Pod that will enable additional services including iHeart Radio, Radio.com and Tunein. With your SoundBar connected to your ST 300 you may then be able to set up a multiroom network using Airplay and HomePod. 

Sounds like you you may be headed to a dedicated speaker setup. The Sound Bars do process music fairly well and coupled with Apple TV, your streaming options are increased. However if you are looking for higher fidelity you might want to look at gear that has Tidal (MQA) built in. I suggest:

https://www.bluesound.com

https://www.naimaudio.com

Having said that, for me I am still very happy with my SoundTouch / Apple gear and services. I have and continue to look at what is out there and then come back to my setup...everything works and sounds very good. No need to change anything for a while yet!

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Probably not MQA capable.  I'm very interested to see how much difference, if any, that makes.  My Dragonfly Cobalt arrives Tuesday.  Of course, I'll be listening via headphones from iPhone or Dell.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Simply incredible.  That's how I describe what I'm listening to right now.  I have my Dell laptop plugged directly into my Bose Soundtouch 300 using the secondary HDMI in on the Bose.  On the Dell, I'm streaming Tidal HIFI and MQA directly to the Bose.  This way, I have eliminated the Apple TV 4K, Oppo DVD, and LG OLED TV.  The sound is simply amazing.

Based on this, when we get home from vacation, I'm going to pick up an MQA capable streaming device.  I'll probably get a NODE 2i and connect directly to the Bose Soundtouch 300 using optical since the NODE 2i does not have HDMI.  I will definitely keep Tidal and will probably drop Apple Music and Spotify.  I might also run a trial of Qobuz.

Finally, music sounds great again.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

Simply incredible.  That's how I describe what I'm listening to right now.  I have my Dell laptop plugged directly into my Bose Soundtouch 300 using the secondary HDMI in on the Bose.  On the Dell, I'm streaming Tidal HIFI and MQA directly to the Bose.  This way, I have eliminated the Apple TV 4K, Oppo DVD, and LG OLED TV.  The sound is simply amazing.

Based on this, when we get home from vacation, I'm going to pick up an MQA capable streaming device.  I'll probably get a NODE 2i and connect directly to the Bose Soundtouch 300 using optical since the NODE 2i does not have HDMI.  I will definitely keep Tidal and will probably drop Apple Music and Spotify.  I might also run a trial of Qobuz.

Finally, music sounds great again.

Glad and to hear this is working for you. I bet it sounds really good. Great choice Bluesound Node 2i. I have previously written that if I was to step up my audio hardware game, Bluesound would be one of my first choices. I have audioned the full line and spent time with members of the Bluesound team.

About the optical connection... you may want to confirm the Node 2i optical specs. I beleive MQA can produce much higher bit rates than what optical can transfer. Your test involves an HDMI connection which when coupled with your Tidal source has produced very good results. Stepping down to an optical connection to your ST 300 may deminish your sound. 

The folks at Bluesound could help you with that.

BTW: Bluesound 🇨🇦

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Yes, that was my concern with the Node 2i.  Everything I read about it, it is basically as good as other devices that cost twice as much, but if optical isn't going to carry the full HIFI MQA signal, I need something with HDMI out.  I was pleased that my Bose Soundtouch 300 was so easy to deal with using the second HDMI and switching back and forth with the remote.  I just had to turn off my TV to prevent multiple sources trying to send a signal up the HDMI ARC back to the TV.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I received my Dragonfly Cobalt from Amazon this morning.  This thing makes a huge difference when streaming from my iPhone.  I compared some Roberta Flack songs using Apple Music, Spotify, and Tidal.  There is no comparison.  Tidal HIFI and MQA are far superior and the MQA capable Dragonfly Cobalt is well worth the price if you stream Tidal.  I now need to try it with my laptop.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Evidently, optical will only do 96 khz.  I need to find a streamer with HDMI out if I decide to get one to feed my Bose Soundtouch 300.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I'm not sure I'm going to find a streamer that will do Tidal HIFI MQA and output via HDMI.  I'm in no big hurry since we're leaving for vacation.  However, tomorrow I will receive my Surface Pro 4 back from repair by Microsoft, so I may just use it as a streamer to my Bose Soundtouch 300.  Since the Surface Pro 4 only has a USB port, I ordered a USB to HDMI cable to see if it will work.  I think it will, but I'm not going to get the full MQA "unfolding" with just a computer.  I'm a little outside my level of understanding, but I think you need a DAC for the full unfolding of MQA and I'm not sure there is one with HDMI output for the Bose.  This is all a little complicated and frustrating.

EDIT:  In the meantime, I'm loving this Dragonfly MQA streaming Tidal from my iPhone.