Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Streaming Tidal On Bose Soundtouch 300

I just purchased a Roon Nucleus on a Roon black Friday sale.  It works much better running the Roon core program than running it on my laptop.  It is connected U-Verse router => ethernet => Nucleus => HDMI => Oppo 203 => HDMI => Bose Soundtouch 300 (via LG C7P OLED).

I purchased a lifetime subscription to Roon and subscriptions to Tidal and Qobuz.  I may eventually drop one or the other, IDK.  I have to say, I am totally happy with this setup and the sound quality from the Bose Soundtouch 300.  With the Nucleus, I get immediate playback from any of my almost 800 albums I have linked to.  I still don't know for sure the resolution coming from the Bose, but the Oppo is capable of 32/192.  Someday, I may purchase an amp and speakers to connect to the Oppo using RCA analog.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I just purchased a Roon Nucleus on a Roon black Friday sale.  It works much better running the Roon core program than running it on my laptop.  It is connected U-Verse router => ethernet => Nucleus => HDMI => Oppo 203 => HDMI => Bose Soundtouch 300 (via LG C7P OLED).

I purchased a lifetime subscription to Roon and subscriptions to Tidal and Qobuz.  I may eventually drop one or the other, IDK.  I have to say, I am totally happy with this setup and the sound quality from the Bose Soundtouch 300.  With the Nucleus, I get immediate playback from any of my almost 800 albums I have linked to.  I still don't know for sure the resolution coming from the Bose, but the Oppo is capable of 32/192.  Someday, I may purchase an amp and speakers to connect to the Oppo using RCA analog.

@Xyz987 Your commitment to getting the absolute best sound out of your gear is commendable. Certainly makes for a good read.

I am less committed to that pursuit favouring a unified brand approach, hoping that Apple will one day bump up their resolution offerings

Indeed if I ever decided to go on an HQ audio adventure I would likely get some Blue Sound or Naim gear and a Tidal subscription.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks.  I have two issues holding me back.  First, I'm trying to do this without spending a lot of money.  I think it would be easy to get carried away with this.  Secondly, my wife is vehemently opposed to a set of speakers in our family room.  I think I have a good setup now.  If I want to experience full MQA unfolding, I have a Dragonfly Cobalt that I plug into my laptop and use Sony headphones.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

Thanks.  I have two issues holding me back.  First, I'm trying to do this without spending a lot of money.  I think it would be easy to get carried away with this.  Secondly, my wife is vehemently opposed to a set of speakers in our family room.  I think I have a good setup now.  If I want to experience full MQA unfolding, I have a Dragonfly Cobalt that I plug into my laptop and use Sony headphones.

Some of the reasons you cite are why I stay with Bose (and Apple). Certainly the SoundTouch 30 speakers are compact while still putting out good sounding music. My wife was thrilled when I took down my old 5.1 system and removed all the wires running along the baseboard. I have been happy with the Cinemate 130 performance. 

I have done a fair bit of researching, trialling and playing premium audio equipment over the years. I am pretty happy with my current set up for reasons stated. My gear addresses a slate of issues including good looks, good sound and convenience. I think the only upgrade I would do now is a ST300 and two 700 subs. Lots of $$$$ though. 

I am glad you are using some Audioquest gear. They are a good company and make great products. Right now my AirPort express routers are connected to my ST 30s using Audioquest cabling. As well my Companion 20 computer speakers are connected to my Mac using an Audioquest wire. I have miles of the Audioquest AV cabling sitting in my crawl space, just in case!

Thanks for the informative posts!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 6, 2020

I’ve read through your journey for audio streaming nirvana with the st300.

Curious why you dropped AZM Ultra HD. Could it do 96/24 through the st300?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

To stream Tidal  o n Bose SoundTouch, here I have another solution for you. That is you could use a third-party tool to convert Tidal music as local files on your computer and then transfer the music to Bose SoundTouch for playing. The tool required is DRmare Tidal Music Converter. Hope this idea will help you.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I bought a Roon Nucleus and a lifetime subscription to Roon.  I am streaming Tidal and Qobuz through my Oppo 203 to Bose.  Also have two headphone listening situations using Sony WH1000XM3 and AEON headphones and Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier and Power Supply and an Audio Quest Dragonfly Cobalt DAC.  I built two Raspberry Pi 4 Roon bridge devices to feed these headphone DACs.

Next step, down the road, is to purchase a high quality stereo amplifier and speakers to replace the Bose for music.  I'll keep the Bose for TV and Netflix.

Lastly, I would need to keep Tidal files I did not purchase.  I would never do that.  Streaming from Tidal does not include buying the files.  You can purchase music from Qobuz, but I simply stream, not purchase music files.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 

Kudos, for your display and support of DRM file management. The world needs less pirates.

Sounds like you are stepping up your digital audio game.  Bet that will all sound very good.