Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Streaming Tidal On Bose Soundtouch 300

I received my RCA to 3.5mm cable and used it to connect from my Oppo 203 RCA outs, left and right, to my headphones, both Sennheiser and Sony.  Streaming Qobuz from my Dell laptop or iPad Mini 4 through the Oppo 203, I am still not able to get 192/24 resolution.  The few files I found play at 96/24.  I don't know why this is because the Oppo 203 DAC is 192/24 capable.  I even tried playing some 192/24 demo files I downloaded from Qobuz and they play at 96/24.

So, I think I will end my quest for 192/24.  From everything I read, 96/24 is optimal anyway, and I am getting that from Qobuz and MQA from Tidal.  I may "repurchase" the Bluesound Node 2i to use as a streaming device.  Streaming with my laptop or iPad is a pain because I have to get up and walk across the room to choose music.  I tried using Teamviewer to control my iPad with my iPhone, but it does not work.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Today, I bought another HDMI cable and connected my iPad directly to the Bose Soundtouch 300 HDMI in.  This removes the Oppo 203 and LG TV from the equation since I now understand the Bose DAC is processing the music.  So, to play Tidal or Qobuz I simply boot up the iPad and use the Bose remote to turn on the Bose, then press AUX on the remote to choose the Bose HDMI in.  This works perfectly well as long as my TV is off and there is no signal to the Bose on the HDMI ARC cable.  I'm getting very nice sounding 96/24 high-res music from Tidal and Qobuz.  Now, the only decision is which one to keep and which one to get rid of.  I'll probably keep Qobuz and drop Tidal so I don't have to worry about unfolding MQA files.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

Today, I bought another HDMI cable and connected my iPad directly to the Bose Soundtouch 300 HDMI in.  This removes the Oppo 203 and LG TV from the equation since I now understand the Bose DAC is processing the music.  So, to play Tidal or Qobuz I simply boot up the iPad and use the Bose remote to turn on the Bose, then press AUX on the remote to choose the Bose HDMI in.  This works perfectly well as long as my TV is off and there is no signal to the Bose on the HDMI ARC cable.  I'm getting very nice sounding 96/24 high-res music from Tidal and Qobuz.  Now, the only decision is which one to keep and which one to get rid of.  I'll probably keep Qobuz and drop Tidal so I don't have to worry about unfolding MQA files.

@Xyz987 

Did you ever find out why the higher bandwith isn’t possible in your setups?

Is Airplay using less bandwith with the Tidal app?

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I'm not totally aware of all the limitations and exactly where they lie.  The Apple TV 4K is limited to 44.1/16 (CD quality).  Since Airplay 2 talks to the Apple TV, Airplay would see that same limitation.

Evidently, the Bose Soundtouch 300 DAC is limited to 96/24.  Since all of my sceneros eventually end up there via digital (HDMI or optical), that is my limitation using the Bose.  My Oppo 203 can do 192/24, but it doesn't matter unless I could go analog out to a receiver and speakers.

I don't know for sure what effect the LG TV has doing audio passthrough, if any.  I know I can get 96/24 when passing through the LG.

I am streaming from the Tidal and Qobuz apps loaded onto iPhone, iPad, and Dell computer.  I'm not certain, but I think those apps on those devices might be limited to 96/24.  I do know that the Dragonfly Cobalt usb DAC is limited to 96/24.  I use it with my iPhone for both Tidal and Qobuz through headphones.  The Dragonfly is the only device I have that will totally unfold Tidal MQA files.  The Tidal software will do the first unfold regardless.

Going forward, I am still thinking about getting a Node 2i to replace the iPad for streaming to the Bose.  The Node 2i will do 192/24, but only when connected via analog to a receiver and speakers.  Connected to the Bose via digital would bypass the Node 2i DAC and the Bose DAC would still do 96/24.

There would be two advantages to the Node 2i in my situation.  First, there is a control app you can load on the iPhone to call up your music.  Secondly, it will do 192/24 through the headphone out 3.5mm connection.  Down the road, it would be a good streaming device connected via analog to a receiver and speakers.  My hesitation, in addition to spending $500, is having to use optical to the Bose.  Optical will carry 96/24, but as we know, there is speculation it doesn't sound as good as HDMI.  Also, I think management of the Bose switching is more complicated than using the Bose HDMI in.  However, I'm not certain about that.  I could possibly avoid that by going optical from the Node 2i to the LG TV and let the TV do the switching instead of Bose.

Another option, in addition to staying where I am now, is to get a receiver with WIFI streaming capability.  I would want something with HDMI output to the Bose for now and analog speaker outs for future.  Also, MQA capable and controllable with iPhone app.  That would also be a good place to start toward building a high-end music system.  For instance:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow/2019/09/03/onkyos-new-receiver-is-great-with-both-music-and...

Or, better yet:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-lV65sTkCoxs/p_745M10/NAD-M10-Masters-Series.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=637741...

To answer your second question, MQA files are smaller than non-compressed 96/24 files.  That's the prime selling point for MQA, but not relevant when streaming at home with a reasonably good internet service.  I have AT&T U-Verse which is 50 mbps.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I'm not totally aware of all the limitations and exactly where they lie.  The Apple TV 4K is limited to 44.1/16 (CD quality).  Since Airplay 2 talks to the Apple TV, Airplay would see that same limitation.

Evidently, the Bose Soundtouch 300 DAC is limited to 96/24.  Since all of my sceneros eventually end up there via digital (HDMI or optical), that is my limitation using the Bose.  My Oppo 203 can do 192/24, but it doesn't matter unless I could go analog out to a receiver and speakers.

I don't know for sure what effect the LG TV has doing audio passthrough, if any.  I know I can get 96/24 when passing through the LG.

@Xyz987 

Have you looked at the Node2i (with HDMI)? It has HDMI ARC. I beleive the specs include DAC:32-Bit, 384kHzwith HDMI connectivity. Will this work with your SoundTouch 300?

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Powernode 2i.  I'm not sure why I haven't looked seriously at that.  It might be the answer.  I'll take a closer look.  Thanks.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I'm not sure about connecting an HDMI ARC from the Powernode 2i to a regular HDMI on the Bose.  Will that work?  My Bose HDMI ARC is connected to the LG TV.

The Powernode 2i owner's manual says connect the HDMI ARC to your TV HDMI ARC.  That may imply you cannot connect to a regular HDMI.  I have emailed Bluesound to ask the question.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Not the answer I was hoping for:

"Vishnu M. (Bluesound)

Sep 6, 2:28 PM EDT

Hello Jim,

The new Powernode 2i comes with one HDMI ARC input (Usually used with TVs) and no other HDMI ports. 

The port being an input will not allow you to connect regular HDMI onto the Bose Soundtouch 300.

Kind Regards,

Vishnu M

BluOS Support Crew Analyst"
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I really should "give it a rest" and be satisfied with where I am.  My iPad Mini 4 connected via HDMI to the Bose Soundtouch 300 HDMI is a perfect solution other than having to get out of the chair to select albums to listen to.  It will only do the first MQA unfold, but I'm probably going to drop Tidal anyway in favor of Qobuz.

If I decide to keep Tidal, I have my Dragonfly Cobalt and Sony headphones for listening to the full MQA unfold.  I think it's basically the same as Qobuz 96/24 but with a little more bass, maybe too much bass actually.

When and if I decide to purchase some new speakers, I can choose the best streaming device, DAC, and receiver/amplifier at that time.  That may not happen anyway because my wife objects to speakers.  She is OK with the Bose Soundtouch 300.

EDIT:  I can't believe I've been listening to Chopin all morning.  Quite a change from my normal music choice.  Streaming high res music does that to you.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

It appears to me that most, if not all, streaming devices expect you to use analog thereafter.  They are designed to connect to a DAC or amplifier or receiver, then to a pair of speakers.  Those with HDMI all seem to be HDMI ARC in for importing from another sound source.