Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Streaming Tidal On Bose Soundtouch 300

Cancelled Spotify.  Down to Apple Music (free from Verizon), Tidal, and Qobuz.  Need to decide between Tidal and Qobuz.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

Cancelled Spotify.  Down to Apple Music (free from Verizon), Tidal, and Qobuz.  Need to decide between Tidal and Qobuz.

@Xyz987 

Is Tidal, and Qobuz noticeably better that Apple Music?

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

@rickatk wrote:

@Xyz987 wrote:

@Xyz987 

Yes, especially with headphones, but even with the Bose.  I turn off the surround speakers and listen in stereo.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@rickatk wrote:

@Xyz987 

Yes, especially with headphones, but even with the Bose.  I turn off the surround speakers and listen in stereo.

Good to know about the sound quality. Shutting off the rear speakers.... like a stereo purist!

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

Assuming the streams from Tidal and Qobuz are stereo, doesn’t the ST300 down sample to 2.1 and not use the rear speakers automatically ?

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

@rickatk wrote:

@Xyz987 wrote:

Assuming the streams from Tidal and Qobuz are stereo, doesn’t the ST300 down sample to 2.1 and not use the rear speakers automatically ?

No, the Bose sends sound out the rear surrounds also.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I found that my Oppo 203 is Airplay capable.  It also has a code for a 60 day free trial of Roon (normally 14 days).  So ... I'm now streaming Tidal and Qobuz from my Dell laptop via Airplay 2 to my Oppo 203.  It's playing through my Bose Soundtouch 300 via HDMI, so I assume the sound quality will be the same.  The beauty of this is I can control my music from my laptop, iPhone, or iPad.  I can also stream to my Apple TV 4K if I want, or my Dragonfly Cobalt (full MQA unfolding) and Sony headphones.

When and if I ever buy an amp/receiver and speakers, I can take advantage of 192/24 vs current 96/24 through the Bose.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

In reading about Roon, they say not to use a wireless internet connection to your Roon core device.  In my case, I'm using my Dell XPS 15 laptop.  Last night, I did notice some network issues since I was connected wirelessly. That was with multiple TV's on at the same time.  We have AT&T U-Verse.

Today I ran a Cat 6 cable from my router to my laptop.  Fortunately, I already had made holes throught the wall with a faceplate on each side for another Cat 5 cable.  I had to buy a USB 3.0 to Ethernet Gigabyte adapter since my computer does not have ethernet.  I didn't realize that until I started looking for a place to plug in the ethernet cable.  Anyway, it's working great.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Actually, Roon doesn't use Airplay as it's primary transport technology.  They use a proprietary technology called RAAT.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

OK, I'm 2 days into my Roon 60 day trial.  Up until a few hours ago, I thought it might be a bust.  Music that starts playing almost immediately on the Tidal and Qobuz apps was taking 30 seconds to start with Roon.  However, after trying a few things on my Dell XPS 15, someone on the Roon community forum suggested it might be a problem with my firewall.  Sure enough, when I configured Windows Defender to allow RAAT through the firewall, that solved the problem.  The Roon application is working perfectly with Tidal and Qobuz and streaming through my network to the Oppo and on to Bose via HDMI.

So, where do I go from here?  I'm probably going to stick with both Tidal and Qobuz until the end of my 60 day Roon trial.  If I'm still liking Roon, I may purchase a one year license for $119 and then keep Tidal, Qobuz or both.  I have already dropped Spotify.

Down the road, I might look for a stand-alone device to run the Roon core software instead of my laptop.  The Nucleus Plus from Moon Audio looks ideal but is pricey.  I might consider one in January when I have some extra money available.  It can do HDMI out to the Bose and later add a receiver and speakers.