Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Suggestions for setting up Soundbar 700

I’m ordering the 700 today. Bose customer service told me it would work with a 4K Tv, so I just wanted to be sure. And what would you suggest as to how to connect the Soundbar to a 4K TV, Directv, and PlayStation 4. 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 23, 2019

Re: Suggestions for setting up Soundbar 700

From my experience you have a limited choice.

the soundbar has to connect to your tv arc hdmi port.

the ps 4 and directv both have to connect via hdmi to your tv 

the soundbar will also have an optical connection to your tv.

follow the install process with the Bose music app on your phone.

you may then have to fiddle your way through your tv settings which the Bose manual and app don’t help with....

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

That seems like a lot to worry about considering the price of Bose speakers. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Nothing to worry about.  All you do is run an HDMI cable from your TV HDMI ARC port to the Bose HDMI ARC port.  All of your other devices must connect directly to your TV.  You DO NOT connect an optical cable to the Bose unless for some unknown reason the HDMI will not work.  In that case, you would remove the HDMI cable and use an optical cable instead.

Once the Bose is hooked up, you will need to use your TV remote control and go into your TV sound settings and turn off the TV internal speakers.  You will turn on the sound setting that says something like audio out to digital HDMI/Optical or some such wording.

And yes, part of the setup process is to install the Bose Music app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android phone.  You need to follow the instructions to get it set up properly.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Thanks for the replies. Not sure why the lack of a 4K pass through makes me so nervous. 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

The lack of 4K paththrough wouldn't be any issue as such since the soundbar has ARC/eARC in theory.

The reality is that ARC/eARC/CEC has been completely broken for month thanks to Bose buggy firmware udpates... So you have a good chance to only be able to use an optical cable, depending on your TV.

That is if you are happy to live with all the other issues the soundbar has, and Bose will never fix.

Read the "Smart Speaker" forum and decide for yourself if you want to live with frustration everyday...

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

You're not passing anything through the Bose.  You're simply sending audio from your TV to the Bose.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

@Xyz987 The issue is the audio doesn’t pass through with most TVs because ARC is completely  broken and Bose refuses to address or even acknowledge the issue. This is the problem ...

So yes you don’t need 4K path through ... in theory but then ARC is broken so you don’t get sound at all. Bose will only ask you to use an optical cable which has it sets of limitation (CEC for instance won’t work), and don’t get me started on the other issues with this soundbar ... missing channel, remote not working, sound cutting-out...

So if I was in the market for a sound system right now , I would consider another brand.