gaut
Participant
Registered since

Apr 10, 2021

Support with sound on home cinema setup

Dear all,

currently I have a setup that works perfectly: Bose Soundbar 500 (with Bass module) / Apple TV 3rd Gen / Video Projector BenQ TH534.

Video projector does not support HDMI ARC, therefore:

• Apple TV is connected in HDMI to video projector
  • Bose Soundbar is connected to Apple TV via optical sound cable
  • Bass module works wirelessly

As I move to a new place, I would get rid of this optical sound cable to avoid crossing the room again with that cable (as Apple TV sits with the video projector).

It seems to me that my best bet would be to upgrade my Apple TV to the latest model (4K) which supports "Airplay 2" (as does Bose Soundbar 500 I read).

Do you think I could then get rid of the cable and stream the sound via Airplay from the Apple TV directly to the Soundbar, while the video goes through HDMI to the video projector? Does this work great?

Many thanks for your help,

Gaut

3 REPLIES 3
Jessie_O

Re: Support with sound on home cinema setup

Hey Gaut, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

Based on your post, there shouldn't be any reason why this wouldn't work. However, when you move into wireless connections, you do run the risk of adding an audio-video delay due to the processing time of the signal. 

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
gaut
Participant
Registered since

Apr 10, 2021

Thanks Jessie for your support.

From what I understand, there are some good chances this doesn't work then (if there is a delay then it's impossible to watch a movie).

I guess then my only option is to change my videoprojector for one which supports HDMI ARC?

Best, Gaut

NeonsNight
Mentor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@gaut wrote:

Dear all,

currently I have a setup that works perfectly: Bose Soundbar 500 (with Bass module) / Apple TV 3rd Gen / Video Projector BenQ TH534.

Video projector does not support HDMI ARC, therefore:

• Apple TV is connected in HDMI to video projector
  • Bose Soundbar is connected to Apple TV via optical sound cable
  • Bass module works wirelessly

As I move to a new place, I would get rid of this optical sound cable to avoid crossing the room again with that cable (as Apple TV sits with the video projector).

It seems to me that my best bet would be to upgrade my Apple TV to the latest model (4K) which supports "Airplay 2" (as does Bose Soundbar 500 I read).

Do you think I could then get rid of the cable and stream the sound via Airplay from the Apple TV directly to the Soundbar, while the video goes through HDMI to the video projector? Does this work great?

Many thanks for your help,

Gaut

May I suggest that you go with an HDMI switch? I mention one in this guide.

There seems to be conflicting answers on the forum, but I believe the only difference between the 500 & the 700 when it comes to that guide, is that the 500 does not support DTS, but it still supports Dolby Digital 5.1 (for optical or eARC/ARC) and LPCM 5.1 (for eARC only). Is that correct @Jessie_O

Either way, if you use an HDMI switch with an optical out, you will have a similar setup to the one you already have with the additional option to connect multiple devices to it.