RogerLud
Participant
Registered since

Mar 8, 2021

TV Speaker controlled by PVR remote

My TV Speaker is often controlled by my PVR remote.  Deleting a program, going back  or forward with the PVR remote can turn off the TV Speaker or raise the volume to max or nothing.  Most annoying is the TV Speaker going off.  Sometimes with every program advance on the PVR the Speaker goes off and then maybe on.  Thanks for any suggestion because the TV Speaker is great but going off and on with the PVR remote is very annoying.

Bose product name TV Speaker

Country Canada

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vicky_W

Re: TV Speaker controlled by PVR remote

Author Accepted Answer selected by RogerLud

@RogerLud, I am sorry but it would seem there is not a way to stop the remote controlling the soundbar. I am sorry it does not suit your use case. You can return it without any need of authorisation from us. I am sorry we cannot assist more. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Hector_B

Hey RogerLud, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to read that you are encountering this issue with your TV Speaker and a PVR remote. 

We would love to look into this further for you, so that we can do this can you please confirm the following: 

• Who is your cable provider? 
  • Set Top Box model name/number? 
  • Remote Control model number?

We look forward to hearing back from you with further information on this. 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
RogerLud
Participant
Registered since

Mar 8, 2021

Thanks Hector for your reply, just found it now as I become familiar with the process.  Anyhow there is no rush as I have always had this issue and only now decided to find help to correct the problem.

Provider - Shaw; Box - Arris DCX 3510-M; Remote - URC-2025B2-B1

Jeff_G

Thank you, RogerLud. 

To confirm, are you using the Bose TV Speaker? You can enter your serial number on this link to confirm the exact model name of the soundbar. Please do not share the serial number on this forum.

Can you please also confirm: 

- How is the soundbar connected to the TV? 

- Have you previously programmed the soundbar to react to other remote inputs as per the instructions on this page?

I'll look forward to your reply.

RogerLud
Participant
Registered since

Mar 8, 2021

Thanks for your reply.  Can you confirm from my serial number that my device is up to date?

I have tried HDMI/ARC and optical connection both separately and together with the same issue.

The PVR remote forward and back causes the TV Speaker to go on and off or to max volume or no volume.  The PVR remote does shut off the TV Speaker in power off mode.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi RogerLud,

We wouldn't be able to tell whether the speaker is up to date or not from the serial number, but if you want to make sure the firmware on your soundbar is up to date, then follow the steps shown HERE.

As it is possible to program the soundbar to respond to 3rd party remotes to control the volume, it's possible that this control has been set up incorrectly with the buttons on your PVR remote. If you follow the steps shown in this guide, then you can program the PVR remote to control the soundbar correctly instead. You do need the latest firmware on the soundbar to be able to program the remote in this way.

Let me know how you get on!

RogerLud
Participant
Registered since

Mar 8, 2021

Thanks for the feedback.  Will try these suggestions.

RogerLud
Participant
Registered since

Mar 8, 2021

These two suggestions did not help.  The PVR remote has control over the TV Speaker.  I can see the TV Speaker responding to the PVR remote as the TV Speaker blinks with almost every command from the PVR remote.  Is there a design issue with the TV Speaker, can I return the TV Speaker to Best Buy, would I need Bose authorization?  What drew me to the TV Speaker was dialogue improvement and compactness but these features are lost when overall control is lost.  Thanks for your help, Roger

Vicky_W

Author Accepted Answer selected by RogerLud

@RogerLud, I am sorry but it would seem there is not a way to stop the remote controlling the soundbar. I am sorry it does not suit your use case. You can return it without any need of authorisation from us. I am sorry we cannot assist more. 

View solution in original post

Wayne_M
Lead Community Manager

Just a heads up that we have an update we believe fixes this issue.  

You can find instructions on how to update here.

This should resolve this issue for you, but if you update and still run into an issue please let us know!

Thanks

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply. If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!