Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darbo
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2020

TV volume control.

Hi. I have just purchased a Bose TV speaker which I have connected to the TV via the audio cable that comes with the speaker.

I am trying to control the volume of the speaker with my Virgin TV remote.

I can either enable the volume to be increased with the Virgin remote or decreased....I can't do both after following the instructions on line.

Any help is appreciated.

Darbo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jessie_O

Re: TV volume control.

Author Accepted Answer selected by Darbo

Hi Darbo, 

I can understand where you are coming from, allow me to elaborate on what Hector_B has said. As you are using a form of universal remote control, we cannot guarantee that all functionality will be available when you use this 3rd party remote. I would recommend reaching out to Virgin as they may have some other insights as to why this is happening. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out to us again. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Hector_B

Hello Darbo, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Congratulations on your purchase. I'd love to assist you with this. 

To start with let's follow these instructions here on how to teach your system to learn other remote commands. If you aren't fully able to program these commands it may be that this remote isn't fully compatible with the TV Speaker. 

Let us know how you get on with this. 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Darbo
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2020

Thank you Hector for your reply.

Surely my Virgin remote must be compatible as I can control either +volume or -volume but not both. 

It's quite annoying having to use one remote to change channels and another to raise or lower the volume.

Jessie_O

Author Accepted Answer selected by Darbo

Hi Darbo, 

I can understand where you are coming from, allow me to elaborate on what Hector_B has said. As you are using a form of universal remote control, we cannot guarantee that all functionality will be available when you use this 3rd party remote. I would recommend reaching out to Virgin as they may have some other insights as to why this is happening. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out to us again. 

View solution in original post

kennydnj
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2020

This is the exact problem I have. No. This is not acceptable. The original poster said that the buttons are programmable. Vol+ is programmable and WILL WORK. Vol- is programmable and WILL WORK. Mute is programmable and WILL WORK. The Speaker understands the commands and performs them just fine. THE PROBLEM IS that the Bose speaker only remembers the last one you programmed. The original author shouldn't have accepted the answer. There was clearly no solution posted here. Just pawning it off on another company's remote. I have the same exact problem. The answer is not correct.

Darbo
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2020

Hi Kenny.

As you say the problem is not the third party remote, it's the Bose instructions. It tells you to follow steps 1-3 for all 3 functions (volume up, volume down and mute). You really should only press the TV button once on the Bose remote, that puts it in programming mode. The volume and mute buttons programming should be performed one after the other, without reverting back to the TV button. Hope this helps and makes sense.

kennydnj
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2020

Thank you Darbo. It works fine now. Garbage instructions by Bose which should be updated. Thank you for providing me with a real solution. I'll never get those hours of my life back but at least now I can use the remote properly.

BOSE SUPPORT COMMUNITY

As reported by Darbo, the instructions are flawed. DO NOT repeat steps 1-3 for subsequent button programming. Repeat steps 2 & 3. And I would add to hit the TV button once when done and the 2 lights will blink. Then you are done.

PLEASE MARK DARBO'S ANSWER ABOVE AS THE ACCEPTED SOLUTION. The previously accepted solution is not acceptable. 

BOSE CHANGE THE INSTRUCTIONS! I can't stand wasting time. 

Jessie_O

Hey Everyone! 

Just a heads up that we have an update we believe fixes this issue.  

You can find instructions on how to update here.

This should resolve this issue for you, but if you update and still run into an issue please let us know!

Thanks!