Onin3
Participant
Registered since

Jan 2, 2021

The Arc issue with BOSE returns with vengeance. I have the Bose Soundbar 11.

Bose soundbar 11

Will not work with ARC on your TV. Despite any resets or firmware updates. ( Impossible to get by the way)- do tell!

ARC has to manually reset on your TV, each time you start the speaker and TV- otherwise your TV speakers will work fine,

Not a great addition. Very painful no fix in site for this. Wish we had known.

Buyer be aware.

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: The Arc issue with BOSE returns with vengeance. I have the Bose Soundbar 11.

Author Accepted Answer selected by Onin3

@Onin3 wrote:

Bose soundbar 11

Will not work with ARC on your TV. Despite any resets or firmware updates. ( Impossible to get by the way)- do tell!

ARC has to manually reset on your TV, each time you start the speaker and TV- otherwise your TV speakers will work fine,

Buyer be aware.

You don't mention your TV or the Bose SoundBar you own as bose doesn't have anything called a "SoundBar 11" or "SoundBar II". The closest I could think of was the Bose Solo SoundBar II, which doesn't even include ARC but only includes an AUX, Optical, or Coaxial input 🤷‍♂️.

So I will have to guess that you might have a Samsung TV and maybe a Bose TV Speaker, Smart Soundbar 300, or a SoundBar 700 as those are the only ARC soundbars Bose currently sells online.

If you do have a Samsung TV as I guessed. You should know that they are rather notorious for having issues with every 3rd party SoundBar brands (with the exception of their own branded SoundBars). The unverified belief is that this is a way to get customers to purchase their own branded SoundBars. 

You can look around and find a lot of forums complaining about this very issue with Samsung TV's. A good example is the Sonos ARC, which also uses eARC, as they have the same issue with Samsung "So basically SONOS are blaming Samsung because the ARC works with other TV's".

If it helps I have a SoundBar 700 and I do not have any issues with my TV's ARC connection. Though I try to avoid it as most ARC TV's, including my own, only outputs stereo sound (some ARC TV's can output 5.1. Be aware that sometimes ONLY internal TV sources like apps can output 5.1) :

"As great as ARC can be, there is one big issue: 5.1. Technically, TVs aren't allowed to send 5.1 audio over HDMI. In other words, if you're watching a movie on Blu-ray with 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS and it's connected directly to your TV (Setup 1, above) your receiver might only be able to get 2.0 audio. TVs that can do this are said to have "5.1 passthrough."

This restriction isn't fully enforced, so some TVs do it anyway. Other TVs will output 5.1 via the optical output, but not ARC."

Also, ARC is pretty similar to Optical cables and doesn't support lossless audio. So I found ARC a poor option to use for audio format support and some TV manufactures 3rd party support.

All that being said, TV's have just started to include eARC that fixes the issue above and can output uncompressed audio. Something ARC TV's cannot. 

"The main differences between ARC and eARC lie in bandwidth and speed. (..) Higher bandwidth also means that digital audio signal doesn’t have to be compressed and is much more detailed, rich and vibrant. As a result, with an eARC channel, you can enjoy the depth of movie-theatre-quality surround sound via formats such as DTS:X and DOLBY ATMOS. Due to the limitations of regular ARC, only eARC can currently process these formats."

Just remember that both the TV and the SoundBar has to support eARC for this to work.

Realistically the only benefit to HDMI ARC over Optical out is HDMI CEC control. Aside from that, they are essentially the same.

00227116_HDMI ARC connection-2.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: The Arc issue with BOSE returns with vengeance. I have the Bose Soundbar 11.

Author Accepted Answer selected by Onin3

@Onin3 wrote:

Bose soundbar 11

Buyer be aware.

You don't mention your TV or the Bose SoundBar you own as bose doesn't have anything called a "SoundBar 11" or "SoundBar II". The closest I could think of was the Bose Solo SoundBar II, which doesn't even include ARC but only includes an AUX, Optical, or Coaxial input 🤷‍♂️.

So I will have to guess that you might have a Samsung TV and maybe a Bose TV Speaker, Smart Soundbar 300, or a SoundBar 700 as those are the only ARC soundbars Bose currently sells online.

If you do have a Samsung TV as I guessed. You should know that they are rather notorious for having issues with every 3rd party SoundBar brands (with the exception of their own branded SoundBars). The unverified belief is that this is a way to get customers to purchase their own branded SoundBars. 

You can look around and find a lot of forums complaining about this very issue with Samsung TV's. A good example is the Sonos ARC, which also uses eARC, as they have the same issue with Samsung "So basically SONOS are blaming Samsung because the ARC works with other TV's".

If it helps I have a SoundBar 700 and I do not have any issues with my TV's ARC connection. Though I try to avoid it as most ARC TV's, including my own, only outputs stereo sound (some ARC TV's can output 5.1. Be aware that sometimes ONLY internal TV sources like apps can output 5.1) :

"As great as ARC can be, there is one big issue: 5.1. Technically, TVs aren't allowed to send 5.1 audio over HDMI. In other words, if you're watching a movie on Blu-ray with 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS and it's connected directly to your TV (Setup 1, above) your receiver might only be able to get 2.0 audio. TVs that can do this are said to have "5.1 passthrough."

This restriction isn't fully enforced, so some TVs do it anyway. Other TVs will output 5.1 via the optical output, but not ARC."

Also, ARC is pretty similar to Optical cables and doesn't support lossless audio. So I found ARC a poor option to use for audio format support and some TV manufactures 3rd party support.

All that being said, TV's have just started to include eARC that fixes the issue above and can output uncompressed audio. Something ARC TV's cannot. 

"The main differences between ARC and eARC lie in bandwidth and speed. (..) Higher bandwidth also means that digital audio signal doesn’t have to be compressed and is much more detailed, rich and vibrant. As a result, with an eARC channel, you can enjoy the depth of movie-theatre-quality surround sound via formats such as DTS:X and DOLBY ATMOS. Due to the limitations of regular ARC, only eARC can currently process these formats."

Just remember that both the TV and the SoundBar has to support eARC for this to work.

Realistically the only benefit to HDMI ARC over Optical out is HDMI CEC control. Aside from that, they are essentially the same.

00227116_HDMI ARC connection-2.png

View solution in original post