Dooberjolly
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 16, 2016

Ultra HD feel colour for Soundtouch 520

Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can clear up an issue I'm having. I've been running my Soundtouch 520. I've had it a while and never had an issue. Recently purchased a new LG OLED TV. On the most part the Bose has worked ok, however with some sources (Xbox and Chromecast ultra) I get a notice on the TV saying UHD detected, enabling deep colour automatically. When the sources are running through the Bose, the display goes blank. If plugged into TV direct I get a glorious HD image.

From what I understand, the Soundtouch 520 is meant to support. 4k passthrough. So just invested in new hdmi cable to make sure they support hdmi high speed. But still the same issue.

I'm guessing the Soundtouch doesn't allow for UHD deep colour, which is a shame as it makes the system redundant. Would be useful to get this confirmed before I switch to a new system.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ultra HD feel colour for Soundtouch 520

Hello Dooberjolly, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. I can confirm that your SoundTouch 520 does support 4k passthrough. 

Are you able to disable deep color whilst connecting your Xbox or Chromecast Ultra to see if this issue is isolated to deep color?

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Dooberjolly
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 16, 2016

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The xbox is a bit more configurable, so I am able to 'tweak' it to work.

I have been through a lot of the settings and noted the setting 'Colour Depth' on the xbox. When this is set to 24bits per pixel (8-bit) it will work. However if i chose either 10-bit or 12-bit options the image is lost.

I have looked at the Chromecase ultra and it doesn't offer the breadth of settings needed. It appears to negotiate the 'best' options automatically. Where i assume to detects that the TV supports a higher colour depth and tries to use it. 

The TV in question allows you to turn off the high colour depth per HDMI port, however it simply re-enables it when it detects that it is available.

It seems to me that the devices can see that they are both capable of UHD at 60fps with higher bit colour depth, but when they send that signal, the bandwidth simply doesn't exist to carry that signal (which is why i tried new HDMI High Speed with ethernet) cables from the bose to the TV in case that was a bottleneck.

Are you able to confirm if the bose pass through is able to push the 18Gbps rate?

Thanks

Hello Dooberjolly,

I've had a look into this for you, and note that the SoundTouch 520 system supports HDMI 1.4, which can transfer up to 10.2 Gbps, whereas HDMI 2.0 enables up to 18 Gbps. As such, this is likely why you're experiencing the lack of image on this setting. As your previous TV may likely not have supported UHD Deepcolor, this would have previously been supported via the SoundTouch system.

In this instance, to enable enjoying 60 FPS UHD Deepcolor on your TV my recommendation would be to connect these affected sources directly to your TV. Then, output the audio from your TV to your Lifestyle system. Alternatively, you could input the devices to your Lifestyle system, and adjust your source devices to 24 fps at 4K, or 60 fps at 1080p, but this would come down to your own personal preference.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions regarding this.

Kindest regards,
Zoe C

Dooberjolly
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 16, 2016

Hi,

Thanks for the info. It's taken me a little while to get around to re-cabling things (with everything wall mounted with hidden cabling runs, it is a bit of a faff). But it seems to have resolved the issues i was having. At some point i will have to look at a sound system upgrade, but this will tide me over. 

Thanks for the help

Hello Dooberjolly, 

Thanks for updating us, it is great to hear that you are up and running correctly again. 

Please do let us know if you need assistance in the future. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W