Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

Universal remote just recently started sending tv power signal as well.

So I've had this Soundtouch 300 system for a while now. In the past if i pressed the power button it would only control the soundbar, and to turn on or off the tv id have to press source power.

I also recently noticed when i press the power button it now flashes the tv source button twice. I didn't think that an update would change the remote like this but i dont know what else it could be. I have tried all variations of CEC (off/alternate/on)

The thing is that if i have both tv and soundbar on, sometimes i just want to turn off the soundbar and go to tv sound without turning off the tv too. Also if i have one on and the other off it sends power signal to both, for example:   ill have tv on and soundbar off, press power button and itll turn tv off and soundbar on.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Universal remote just recently started sending tv power signal as well.

Author Accepted Answer selected by jgunsling

Hi jgunsling!

Welcome! Thank you for posting. 

It certainly is strange that this has just started happening randomly! The updates to the soundbar won't affect the remote controlling other devices for you so it is very unlikely to be that. 

It sounds like you have done some great troubleshooting already by checking all the CEC options available. As it does not seem to be changing anything it does sound like it is the remotes IR signal turning on the TV rather than CEC controls, so thank you for finding that out!

Has the remote been programmed to control any other devices as well as your TV? If so have you noticed the remote turning those on as well? It is possible to make the remote send the power on code to multiple programmed devices at the same time so it would be useful to know if any other devices are being controlled as well.

To turn this off on the remote you would want to press and hold the TV button and the source button (AUX or the TVDVD or Cable box icons) of any other devices being controlled for 10 seconds, until both buttons blink three times.

If for some reason this does not do the trick you would want to clear the programming from your remote and re-program it to control your TV. To clear the programming you would want to:

• On the remote control, press and hold a Source button (i.e., TV or CBL-SAT) until all six source buttons glow, then release the button: The button that was held remains glowing
  • On the number keypad, enter 981: The source buttons will flash to confirm.

Once this is done, reprogram the remote following the instructions HERE and using the codes in the list for your TV.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by jgunsling

Hi jgunsling!

Welcome! Thank you for posting. 

It certainly is strange that this has just started happening randomly! The updates to the soundbar won't affect the remote controlling other devices for you so it is very unlikely to be that. 

It sounds like you have done some great troubleshooting already by checking all the CEC options available. As it does not seem to be changing anything it does sound like it is the remotes IR signal turning on the TV rather than CEC controls, so thank you for finding that out!

Has the remote been programmed to control any other devices as well as your TV? If so have you noticed the remote turning those on as well? It is possible to make the remote send the power on code to multiple programmed devices at the same time so it would be useful to know if any other devices are being controlled as well.

To turn this off on the remote you would want to press and hold the TV button and the source button (AUX or the TVDVD or Cable box icons) of any other devices being controlled for 10 seconds, until both buttons blink three times.

If for some reason this does not do the trick you would want to clear the programming from your remote and re-program it to control your TV. To clear the programming you would want to:

• On the remote control, press and hold a Source button (i.e., TV or CBL-SAT) until all six source buttons glow, then release the button: The button that was held remains glowing
  • On the number keypad, enter 981: The source buttons will flash to confirm.

Once this is done, reprogram the remote following the instructions HERE and using the codes in the list for your TV.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

Thank you so much! What worked was resetting with the 981 code then reprogramming the tv code. 

to answer your other questions, yes I also have my Xbox set up with the remote. But the only thing that would get sent the power signal was the tv and the sound bar. With this fix though it’s back to just sending the sound bar power signal. I tried holding multiple source buttons before I tried the reset and I never got the three flash. 
thanks again for the help!